• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammoguide Reloading

thewileyone

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2010
NM
Has anyone used a site like www.ammoguide.com/ to help you with your reloading? How accurate is it? Seems pretty thorough but curious what your thoughts are. If it is correct, it might save some time and money.

Re: Ammoguide Reloading

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. You would be better off with an actual manual and or online free stuff from individual manufacturers sites. </div></div>
+ a billion.

The only data point a reloader has to know, is the starting load. Everything else, is a work-up for your rifle.

Because every rifle is different, even rifles from the same manufacturer. The only safe way is to work up your load, for your rifle.

Even the MAX load point published is mostly worthless. Because MAX is your rifle is where you find it. And if you work up your loads, carefully, for your rifle, only your rifle can tell you where MAX really is. Not some book.

Bob

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Bobin's comment related to max load.

If you reference a Hodgdon manual you will see they publish pressure data along with the other information. I wish they all did that. The folks who publish data get to the pressure points one way or another and that's how they define their max charge. Whether they use CUP or PSI as the metric, they know when they hit the limit for that cartridge and that's what they publish.

They always try and keep max load data at or just under the rated pressure for the cartridge. My personal opinion is the max load is the most useful of all the data available.

There are a number of free sites on line. Also the manufacturers or bullets and powder will have info posted. I primarily use Lyman manual but have several others also. When working up a new load and considering alterations in loads I will look through all of the materials to get a sense of the test results others had. The printed results, beginning points and max loads will vary from source to source but taken together they give a good sense of beginning loads and max loads. I agree that the important point is to know safe beginning load points and I also like to know published max loads but I work my own way up the load charges, always inspecting for signs of pressure on the brass and primer. Then there is the accuracy aspect.....

Reactions: wburrington

There is no way I would use load data from just anyone. I looked at Ammoguide and some of the other user contributed load data sites and after comparing to manuals I will pass. I did find Load Data site and it publishes manufacturer data. It offers multiple professional resources published in one location to provide the handloader with accurate load data.