• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition AMU Shooting Team

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey yall, Blake here. I wasnt sure where to put this but since theres no National Match/High Power section I figured it`d fit here.

For yall that know, what all competitions does the AMU compete in? Obviously I know Service Rifle and Service Pistol, etc. But for example, do they compete in Palma? Or High Power Match Rifle/XTC? Because I know the M24 has the ability to take aperture sights. What about F-TR/F-Open? Ive seen some pics of AMU guys competing in matches that dont require an issue rifle. So, what rifles do they use for these competitions? And do they pay out of pocket to have them built, or does the Army take care of it?

Thanks.
Blake.

The AMU competes in just about every type of marksmanship you can imagine from International Rife and Pistol to Skeet and Trap, including HP, LR, Sniper competitions. Their main goal is training, from the Small Arms Firing Schools to providing the marksmanship phase of the Seal Sniper School.

Regardless, they are the best shooters in the world over all.

For the most part they do build their own rifles, but not and the individual's expense, the guns they build belong to the Army and when they decide to get rid of them they end up, for the most part, at the CMP, who sells them to us peons.

I got an AMU from the CMP myself, its a Model 70 Winchester in 308. The CMP just reciently sold a AMU Model 70 in 30-338 but I don't know what it went for.

Check out the CMP's Auction Site, they pop up every now and then.

DSCN0101.JPG

I know this is an old topic but I started so I figured it was okay.

So Mr Kraig, is it safe to assume that every "AMU" rifle auctioned by CMP was used in competition of one form or another?

Also, do they only use R700`s now or can they use custom actions? What about barrels? Do they use a single supplier or whoever they want?

And Im guessing they handload whatever they want/need to?

I cant say whether all AMU rifles are or were used in competition buy them or not. But I cant see any reason for them to build a rifle and not use it. They do build many but not all of their rifles, depending on the type of competition. Some require "as issued" service rifles where upon they use the same as every one else.

I don't know what barrels they use. I suppose they have different suppliers. I do know when I visited the shop in '78 they were using Barnet barrels on their M14s, the same with the NG MTU. Barnett barrels were in the system, that's where I got then when I was running the AK NG Marksmanship Unit.

They did reload ammo back then, except for the events that required them to use "issue" ammo.

What they are using now, I don't know. I've never heard of them using Remington actions, though that's not saying they didn't, I just never saw it. Back when I was in the game, the AMU used Winchesters (as did my unit for long range matches were bolt guns were allowed. They got me hooked on Winchester Model 70s.

They shoot all kinds of different things. At the NRA championship last year, Brandon Green won with a T2k year. Shane Barnhardt was shooting a spacegun in 6mmAR. I think they have some fairly wide leeway on what they can shoot when they aren't shooting Service Rifle matches. The team wants them to win, so they try to put the best tools in their hands.

About 4 years ago I asked USAMU which rifles they were using on ISSF Standard Rifle and Prone.

They answered custom BAT actioned rifles for Prone and Bleiker for ISSF Standard Rifle.

LRCampos.