• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing An Alaska Caribou

Enough Said

Staff Sergeant Taylor
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Not my largest, just my latest. This was last Sunday.
    Rem 700ADL. .270. '82 model. This was my first "high-powered" rifle and has taken dozens of animals and species'. McMillan QuietStock from '94. I think they only did a one-year run with those. I still love mine. Bedded. An old-school Leupy VXIII 3.5-10 set on 10 because it's on the tundra.

Hand-loaded Nosler 130gr Ballistic Tip because NOTHING escapes without a massive wound channel. This fellow was no exception.

200 yards. Hasty offhand with a willow bush for support. Bang-flop. Beautiful bull, but not a great big massive one.

The dog assisted by... well... being there.

Brutal 3-pack pack out of over a mile.

Life in Alaska rocks. [img:center]http://[/img]
    DSCF7026.jpg

Re: An Alaska Caribou

What part of Alaska? I hunted the haul road a few years back with a rifle, outside of the 5 mile corridor, that sucked but it was a blast. We are hoping to make it back up next year but we haven't decided where to go yet.

That's awesome, I can't wait till I have the time and money to go chase one.

I shot one last September in Quebec. My 700 from the same time frame was a ADL in .270 Win that I had a SS Shilen .308 Win barrel screwed on; Brown Precision Stock from the 80's, with a 3.5x10 Leupold.

047.jpg

Jerry

Nice. Miss hunting the hunting there daily. Packing across the tundra sure lets you know how bad of shape you're in.