• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

An Apology to Berger Customers

EricStecker

Private
Minuteman
A few weeks ago, on this and two other forums I was accused of lying to our customers as a deliberate effort to manipulate them in an attempt to gain a marketing advantage. Even though information was presented to explain our position I regard the matter as unresolved since I have not directly responded to the accusation.

My lack of response was a result of something that I will get to in a moment but I first will address the accusation and explain where my fault lies in the situation. I have spent my entire career working to produce a product that is genuine in its performance. I regard it as a disservice to the shooting community that so many marketing claims are made that are not consistent with the results a shooter can expect from a product. Our deliberate effort to avoid false marketing claims is a manifestation of our core values. As Walt puts it, “if you’re going to do it, do it right.”

At no point have I decided to communicate a marketing message in which I deliberately intend to manipulate our customers. I can say with absolute confidence that what I have been accused of is false. However, this doesn’t mean that I am not guilty of making an error.

The error that this situation has identified is that I personally regard BCs for flat base bullet as essentially unnecessary. I have been shooting flat base bullets in short range benchrest competitions for over two decades. Over this time, the BC of a flat base bullet has never been discussed. Not once. In my career as a bullet maker, I do not recall having a conversation about BCs of flat base bullets with any shooter. However, when I talk with shooters about boat tail bullets it is common for BC to be part of the conversation.

In spite of this experience, I am not absolved of having made a mistake. I understand that even though I regard the BC of flat base bullets as essentially unnecessary in practical shooting applications this doesn’t mean that there are no shooters who regard the BC of flat base bullets as unnecessary.

My decision that estimated BCs for flat base bullets is more than adequate for successful shooting of such bullets is a result of this assumption. It is in making this assumption that I am guilty. Applying this assumption to our published data was an error. I apologize to all Berger customers for making this error. Clearly this is inconsistent with comments I’ve made about owing it to you to provide fire tested BC data.

It is important to clarify that any decisions I make regarding Berger’s efforts are based most heavily on the point of view of my experience as a shooter not as a businessman looking to make a buck. I believe strongly that if we stay true to doing the best we can for the shooter, we will be successful as a business. Making the assumption that my experience as a shooter represents the experience and desire of all shooters is where I went wrong in this particular situation. This is what led to the actions that resulted in this accusation.

Ultimately, I regard adversity as an opportunity to grow stronger. This situation is such an opportunity. We are already in the process of reviewing and updating the BCs of flat base bullets. In the coming months you will see this information adjusted. The difference will be slight but the adjustments will be based on fired data rather than estimates. You will also start seeing further expansion of the data we provide. This information is meant to give all shooters even greater clarity on the true, real world performance they can expect from Berger.

I believe it is also important to explain why I didn’t response when the accusation was made or while the thread progressed in each of the three forums. Those who are familiar with my engagement of the forums know that I am not shy about communicating my opinions and beliefs when it comes to Berger. This particular situation is unique because I regard my accuser as being the worst type of violator of what I address in the chapter on shooting forums in our reloading manual. I refer to this type of person as the Know-It-All.

The Know-It-All is characterized as a person who communicates misinformation in a way that seems genuine and correct. This information is relayed in absolutes with the poster have no decent sense of self doubt that comes from accurate observations of real world experience on the subject they are discussing. A strong academic understanding of math and related theories cannot provide one with the type of knowledge that is obtained from many years of manufacturing experience and the actual shooting of countless rounds in real world testing.

Those who have spent their career engaged in real world efforts learn that very little if anything in shooting is absolute to the extent that it is above questioning. Those who have such real world experience and understanding communicate with phrases such as, “this is what we found” or “under these conditions the results we observed were…”. These positions leave the reader with an understanding that includes the possibility that their own results might not be consistent with what was communicated due to the numerous variables that exist in the real world application of rifle shooting.

My personal annoyance with the behavior of the Know-It-All achieves a new high when it comes to my accuser. I am so enraged by his behavior that when I was engaged on a thread announcing the launch of ABM (our ammo company) on the longrangehunting.com forum my anger level resulted in a venomous personal attack against this person. I will not retract my comments as I believe them to be true but I am ashamed of my behavior and inability to better control my anger while posting my responses.

This is the specific reason I decided not to post any response to my accuser when he decided to expand this fight to a new thread on this and two other forums. It had nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

This doesn’t mean that in the future we will shirk away from the misinformation he communicates. Bryan is far more qualified to unravel the twisted aspects of the misinformation that he communicates in a way that is helpful to shooters. To be clear, I am in no way suggesting that everything that my accuser communicates is false. Much of his information is based in some way on actual fact. However, he uses these facts to communicate opinions and make accusations that are inconsistent with real world applications and realities. When this occurs, Bryan will be there to help shooters understand the true nature of the information being discussed.

I’ll add that it is not my intension to further stir this pot (although I understand that it might not seem that way). After spending much consideration on simply letting this situation go I find that I am unable to live with the idea that there might be some doubt as to my motives and to Berger reputation as being a gold standard for providing shooters with accurate and useable information on the performance of our product. I offer this apology and explanation as much for those who use Berger as I do for my own personal desire to look Walt in the eye with full confidence and pride that I am continuing his legacy of doing it right.

Regards,
Eric

I am not sure you really owe anyone an apology Eric... Berger has done a lot for the shooting community and I for one am very grateful! I questioned Mr. Courtney's motives when he posted his "dispute" and as the thread progressed it was apparent that he was in over his head on the issue. I would also agree that a BC for a flat base bullet is generally of zero concern. I will continue to give Berger my business because I feel your bullets are superior for my intended purposes. I just picked up 600 more 200gr Hybrids and look forward to seeing how they perform in FTR.

Well said. I didn't see any of the threads in question but I hope this puts to rest any doubt in the consumer's minds.
I for one have never fired a single Berger bullet (didn't see the need) but I know/have known many shooters that swear by them.

It is an unfortunate byproduct of modern technology such as the internet gives these POS' a soapbox heretofore wasn't available.

Berger makes some great bullets.
Keep up the good work.
I read through that train wreck and I didn't feel you needed to apologize for anything.

I am not sure you really owe anyone an apology Eric... Berger has done a lot for the shooting community and I for one am very grateful! I questioned Mr. Courtney's motives when he posted his "dispute" and as the thread progressed it was apparent that he was in over his head on the issue. I would also agree that a BC for a flat base bullet is generally of zero concern. I will continue to give Berger my business because I feel your bullets are superior for my intended purposes. I just picked up 600 more 200gr Hybrids and look forward to seeing how they perform in FTR.

Fuckin' A....

Notice there's more yellow boxes than anything. No apology needed. Shot my best LR group to date with a 215 hybrid at 1,330 yards.

Anybody that shoots could tell right away he was a sniveling academic with a grudge. I think he missed the "know your audience" in communications class. :) I'd say just don't publish a BC for flat base bullets. Don't let the idiot cost you time and money.

I think the debate is good, and really there is nothing to get angry over.

We all know there are variables, and those variables change the results, those results are usually very shooter dependent, if you're results vary, adjust and drive on.

The rate at which things are progressing in the Precision Rifle world is staggering right now. We are leap frogging over and over, so naturally questions are gonna come and revisions are gonna get made. The more information we have out there, the better off everyone will be. We have the ability to deliver these details to a wider share of shooters, which is a good thing. So rather than apologize because of someone else's opinion, deliver the details and let them speak for themselves.

The bullets coming out of Berger are first rate, so don't sweat the small things. That is all that needs to be said, if the results weren't there, people would simply move on to the next guy.

Certainly a stand up post but I think most will view it as unnecessary. Shooters know the quality of what Berger is putting out.

That being said, if there is anything to apologize about it is that I don't have any 195grain 7mm Hybrids to shoot!

I was unaware of the dispute going on but I will say you are a class act addressing it as a man should.

My GAP 7WSM loves Bergers.

Well I wasn't even aware there was another thread, but I will say thank you for coming down to the consumer level and attempting to resolve an issue whatever that "issue" may have been , I've got a few yellow boxes on the bench and for this kind of attuned approach to customer services sure makes buying a few more yellow boxes a worthy proposition. Thanks again.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan..there is so much they are sure about which just isn't so :)

SHOOT-pun intended,\! Berger bullets are about the only rifle bullets I buy anymore, especially those hybrids which in my eyes are the easiest to tune bullets I've ever shot and if that wasn't enough have some of the highest BC's per weight out there.

Eric, I like the way you handled this situation!

BTW, how about bringing a 22 cal 90 grain hybrid and followed by a 135 grain 25 cal hybrid?

I, for one, am extremely distraught over this whole episode.

Really the only thing you can do to regain our trust at this point is to release the 190gr 7mm Hybrids in mass quantity ASAP.

I am not sure what flat-base bullets Berger offers, but I will say that I would want as accurate and as up-to-date BC data on any bullet I buy, flat-base bullets included … because you never know what someone is going to be using the bullets for.

I don't think the guy's inquiries are unwarranted. He just presented them in a dick-ish way.

Bottom line, is if you are going to be using a specific bullet for anything important, then you should have tested it beforehand yourself, by shooting it at several different distances and getting velocity data to go with it.

You gotta verify everything.

I'm a no body but will continue to buy Bergers!

^^^^Same here. I have shot Berger Bullets out of Lapua brass for many years now. I have spent a several thousand dollars in the process (I know that is a drop in the bucket and means little to a large company), but it is nice to know that other than getting a quality product for my money it is going to somewhere concerned about the shooting community past the profits. Starting this thread was a classy move.

^^^^Same here. I have shot Berger Bullets out of Lapua brass for many years now. I have spent a several thousand dollars in the process (I know that is a drop in the bucket and means little to a large company), but it is nice to know that other than getting a quality product for my money it is going to somewhere concerned about the shooting community past the profits. Starting this thread was a classy move.

Well said

Does anyone have a link to the original thread?

I plan on switching to Bergers in the near future.

I understand that you have to address the accusation, rumors and false unaddressed accusations are very destructive to one and an organization. Thanks for the commitment to the sport and keep making the 185 OTM!

I can unabashedly admit that I am the most disloyal brand guy in the world. I only use what works for me, and whether it says Remington, Surgeon, S&B, US Optics, Manners or McMillan on the side, I don't give two shits. The only thing that matters to me is that it shoots straight.

Now, the one constant in all of my shooting is Berger bullets. If I give a damn about the rifle shooting straight (non-plinking) for anything over 100 yards, I'm using Berger bullets. I'm blessed to have five 7 rifles that shoot 1/4 MOA, and four of them in the .1s, all of which are doing it with Berger bullets. The only constant I have in all of my kit is Berger bullets.

I see where some criticism could exist for the marketing of flat base bullets. Once again, I don't give two shits worth of concern about this because I don't shoot benchrest, and I don't shoot flatbase bullets. The BCs of the VLDs and Hybrids have always been pretty damn close for me. I do think it's an absolutely standup act by Eric to clear the air. My business isn't going anywhere.

I looked at that thread as well.

Shooters of flat based bullets who are particularly worried about BC have done one of two things: They've either chosen the wrong projectile for their purpose, or they're revealing their novice as to what's important in a bullet for short to intermediate ranges.

We ask about horsepower in pick up trucks and sports cars. When it comes to a grocery getter, we don't normally ask or worry about horsepower, being more concerned with comfort, fuel mileage, etc.)... so in my view, Mr. Courtney is straining on a gnat... asking the question "Does this minivan REALLY have 165 horsepower, or is is more like 155? What dyno did they use to determine this published horsepower? Hmmmm??" :rolleyes:

I don't think Eric owes anyone any apologies.

Dan

Last edited:
Berger has done LOTS for the shooting community and long range shooting. NO APOLOGY NECESSARY, but a class act regardless. I just wish I could consistently shoot groups as good as the bullets are capable of. It's a continuing work in progress.

LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf.jpg

That's an apology? It sure doesn't look like it. My personal suggestion is that OP stay off the intarwebz if he can't control himself. I might further suggest that OP should pick up a dictionary and learn what "apology" means.

How the hell did this even get this far? Does anyone actually give 2 squirts of green-apple poo about this?

Attachments

• LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf.jpg
    LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 14
Just did some reading on the aforementioned threads and it's clear to me that the antagonist is wanting to pick a fight for the sake of academics that may or may not apply in the real world, and in the process basically is doing the "they're wrong, I'm right, but I won't bring to bear a better more usable solution to the masses" so he basically just wants to be a dick. Fine, he's a dick, and acting like one. That to me has a lot more reflection on him than Berger, Eric, and Bryan.

In point of fact, whatever this guy's end game goal is, unless he wants to do what Bryan has done and test and publish BC's on multiple bullets across multiple Mfg's and actually HELP us shooters, instead of pitching a fit about something and telling others to do it for him, I don't have any time for him. He's got impressive credentials, but IMO unless you're going to take your research past the "they're wrong" stage and provide a solution, you're just another whiner. I don't have the time or inclination to learn high level physics to produce the better mouse trap in this situation, so guess what, I figure out what works for me, and run with it. That happens to be Mr. Litz's data and solvers. If Mr. Courtney cares to build a ballistic solver that out-performs Bryan's, and includes a massive library of bullets, and essentially builds the better mouse trap then I may change to that. But until that happens and he does it in an affordable manner like Bryan has, then guess what, it's all just noise.

The debate serves a purpose, but calling out a single company publicly about specific bullets that are atypical to LR use on LR shooting forums is IMO a bitch move, and it shows by the number of people that called it out as such. If he wants to educate and develop debate in a constructive manner, there's better ways to go about it. What he's done and the way he's done it, instantly turns me off to his assertions. His understanding of the fine points is CLEARLY well beyond what I understand and probably ever will, but his way of going about it doesn't inspire me to listen to and learn from him.

I'll continue to shoot Berger's in the applications they provide a solution for me. They produce a good product, that works as advertised in every case I've tried them, so that's what matters to me. If they didn't, I'd find someone else's product that does, and I have in a few of my rifles, but I don't pitch a fit about it, I just move on.

Berger has done LOTS for the shooting community and long range shooting. NO APOLOGY NECESSARY, but a class act regardless. I just wish I could consistently shoot groups as good as the bullets are capable of. It's a continuing work in progress.

Agree 100%. As far as I'm concerned, Berger has revolutionized the .30 caliber in regards to LR and ELR shooting. When you've got a 230 grain bullet that has a better bc than some 300 grain .338 projectiles, you've done something!! Hell, I built a ELR .300 win mag JUST BECAUSE OF THE 230 and 215 Berger. Proof's in the pudding...

That other thread was comedy gold and MC's counter arguments reminded me of a presidential debate. Just... Answer... The fucking... Question...

Kudos to Bryan.

I woulda thought a Ph.D USAFA professor would have better things to do than troll gun forums on the interwebs...

I appreciate the comments and support. This is something I believe needed to be clarified for those who use Berger and for myself. We will keep doing what we do and expect that if we get it wrong we will hear about it.

I'll add (since it was mentioned) that I have lifted the hold on new bullet development. This means that projects like the 7mm 195 gr Hybrid EOL bullets are able to progress. These won't be ready soon but at least these efforts can proceed.

Clarifying FB BC data and adding these new bullets are projects that are pursued by people outside the production team so they will not affect or slow these efforts. We are also adding more machines to each department (jackets, cores and bullet assembly) to increase our output further. This is in spite of the fact that incoming orders have finally dropped to manageable levels. We will keep adding capacity until Bergers can be easily found on the shelf.

Regards,
Eric

No wonder there is no darn bullets, you are wasting time writing unnecessary apologizes and putting them on the internet. Back to the bullet factory with you!

Bergers suck.... the cash out my wallet. I run the 300s in the 338 lapua and am testing the 185s in the 308 but will probably shift back to the 175s i cant find a good node without pressure signs and blowing primers. Once my 204 gets here 35 gr bergers will be the end of many yotes, and my suppressed 300 enjoys a steady diet of 230 bergers.

Won bullets back in July this year. Still have not received them called twice still no result.
i guess the little yellow winner sticker will go on my rifle as a feel good thing.

Terry

Eric: You, Bryan and Berger brought accountability back to the bullet industry. Before Berger and Bryan, bullet makers (Sierra excluded) made damn near fraudulent BC claims to sell bullets. Some worse than others. Mark Smith called it the Market Place of ideas - where folks could share ideas and opinions freely. An old professor told me once: "Sometimes you get mugged in the market place." You got mugged!!

Thanks for the Apology - though none was needed.

Robert

In regards to Berger bullets & Eric. He has taken care of the issue I posted 100% professionally. I only shoot Bergers and there is a reason for this. They perform the best from 100yds to 1300yds.
if you care enough to spend time reloading for that small group or once in a life time hunt, Berger is the bullet to put in your case.
Also, Eric is the type of person I would do business with.

Thanks for your time and attention Eric. I appreciate it 100%.

Terry

The debate was interesting, but nothing in it changed my opinion that Berger bullets are top notch and that the people at Berger are stand up folks. Since Berger entered the field, they have done much to raise the bar in precision shooting and I expect that they will continue to do so. The fact that Berger is willing to participate here says a lot in itself.

The debate was interesting but I found it unnecessary for me. Quality product and a class act ... Berger, keep up the good work!

I've had 5000 7mm Berger 180 VLD Hunting bullets on back order for many months. They must really suck. ;)

My 5000 140's finally came in for my 6.5 though... and they suck so bad I was consistently putting down 8-12" groups at 1000yds in a 10-17mph wind the other day.

Eric, I didn't read the threads that started this (I'll have to) but I'm finding that more than ever, there are people that will make it their mission in life to screw with you in any way they can. Those people most frequently have deep-seated psychological issues, and you will never be able to satisfy the void they have in their lives. Doesn't matter what you say or do, they will take every opportunity to do as much damage as they can, never once allowing logic or rational thought to get in their way. If you have something new and cutting edge, it's that much worse.

Shove them out of the way, and step on their face as you move past on the way to your goals. As long as your goals are noble, the detractors won't even slow you down.