• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

An idiot has purchased a precision rifle...

RUN8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2023
Black Hills
Greetings from the Black Hills of South Dakota, where a month or so ago a clueless idiot got the bright idea to purchase a precision rifle.

That idiot is me.

Instead of approaching this in a measured incremental manner starting on something relatively affordable I chose to buy an Accuracy International AT-X in 6.5mm Creedmoor. Being an enthusiast for doing all things in the wrong order I then chose to start researching after the rifle showed up at my FFL, because having a clue of what direction to go with anything that comes next is for people who don't like being lost.

Not that anyone will or should care I have some background in competitive bullseye pistol shooting in college (made nationals in 2003 at Ft. Benning), very limited USPSA competition, a smattering of NRA service rifle, and some small bore position shooting with Anschutz .22LR's etc. I also served in the USMC as a 0351 and had one deployment to Iraq in 2004, getting out in November of 2004 after returning to CONUS and finishing leave as my enlistment expired in May of 2004 while I was still deployed.

I am currently employed as a Locomotive Engineer of middling ineptitude dragging around all manner of freight mostly consisting of coal by tonnage, at strange hours of the day and night. Between the coal being hauled from coal mines I operate out of, to the enormous amounts of diesel fuel consumed doing it, Greta Thunberg's childhood has been thoroughly stolen.

With any luck I might actually learn about making bullets go where I want them to here,
so that I can someday be more effective at making steel targets ring than I currently am simply yelling at them and shaking my fist in rage.

Have a good day everyone, thanks for reading, sorry you probably feel stupider for having read this.

Last edited:
I had a chance to handle an AI many years ago, the older round receiver short action in the clamshell style stock. I have lusted after an AI ever since because it was clearly a quality rifle and I LOVE good two stage triggers.

This AT-X checks a lot of boxes for me once it's set up how I think I want it. The only downside is there is no magnum bolt face for the short action AI receiver that I'm aware of, a 6.5mm or 7mm PRC would maybe be interesting. Oh well.

I had a chance to handle an AI many years ago, the older round receiver short action in the clamshell style stock. I have lusted after an AI ever since because it was clearly a quality rifle and I LOVE good two stage triggers.

This AT-X checks a lot of boxes for me once it's set up how I think I want it. The only downside is there is no magnum bolt face for the short action AI receiver that I'm aware of, a 6.5mm or 7mm PRC would maybe be interesting. Oh well.
Lol. Well, welcome to the world of precision rifle shooting, where your first rifle is likely just a gateway into a whole new adventure.

Reactions: DIBBS
Thanks, hopefully I can outfit this rig somewhat intelligently.

For the time being I am running an ancient Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 on top that is so old it doesn't even have a zero stop. First range outing had me wishing for a bit more magnification, and eventually I will want more capable optics and reticle.

I have not started to reload for this one yet, but I did specifically choose to start with the 6.5mm Creedmoor because there seems to be a great deal of load data, it's not known to be finicky, and there is plenty of factory ammo. I have bought 100 rounds of Berger factory fodder because they load in Lapua brass. Ironically this barrel isn't too fond of the 144gr Berger, and seems to prefer 120gr Hornady ELD-M. Nothing has shot badly, but the 120gr ELD-M has stood out. Was hoping to run a heavier bullet, and finding a factory load that shoots 140gr+ well would be nice to just try to duplicate, because I'm lazy.

Welcome from someone who used to live out there.

Now, drive over to First Stop and spend some more money.

Ask Mark if my binoculars shipped yet.

LOL, we're getting some winter weather today so I'm not driving up to Rapid City. I'm down in Hot Springs.

I can be at the Fall River County Shooting Sports Complex in about 10 minutes so the steel range out to 875 yards was the last straw, I had to have something to play with and this AI is it.

Reactions: lash
I feel you on the long range stuff.
It's addicting.
We used to shoot either in the grasslands or go up into the hills and cross canyon shoot.
Too many access roads got closed and it sucked.

Our local range down here goes to 2k. Unfortunately it's closing December 16th, so we'll be on the hunt for something else.

Enjoy the journey, it's a ton of fun.

Reactions: RUN8 and lash
Now get one of those Sooper Sniper scopes and a Harris bipod and you’ll be GTG.

Based on your first post, you are going to fit in here perfect.

Sirhr

LOL, I have been using a Harris for the time being on an Area 419 ARCA adapter. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Most of my limited work testing factory loads has been off of a bench rest and rear bag.

Way to start off with a bang! That ATX is going to serve you very well and the addiction is going to get much deeper. The only downside is that now mere factory rifles and even some customs are going to feel like they are an utter waste of your time. Its like owning a very expensive optic, there is no going back...

Reactions: RUN8
Speaking of optics that is on the short list of things to upgrade early next year. The old NF NXS will suffice for 100-300 yard load development duty, but once I need to start dialing more I'm going to want a zero stop equipped optic, more magnification, and probably nicer glass. I won't clutter up this thread seeking advice just yet, I've got some research to actually do.

I also need to order a good set of dies to load 6.5mm Creedmoor, seems there are some interesting options now.

You may be late to the party, but you probably are not an idiot. Don't confuse having beginners questions with being an idiot.

When you want to add another rifle take a ride into Sturgis and talk to Chad at LRI. He'll build you a good rifle faster and with fewer headaches than most.

Let's just make sure and get a TT or a new style SB on there for glass

With superior taste in rifles, you do need to up your meme game

1605634938906.png

And yes, I do to!

And get that Rifle a ZCO or Vortex Razer.

Welcome and awesome rifle! I’m setting up an ATX as well. Have owned an AT for years and love it

As far as the magnum face I believe @MOUNTIC has those once in a while. Or @trophyhunter did those a while back. May be an option

Reactions: RUN8
iu

Now go drop another $5k of that railroad money on tier 1 glass for your tier 1 rifle!

My buddy is about to retire from the command center in the bunker in Omaha. You've probably talked to him a thousand times...

I work for the other road out west.

Our dispatchers can be found in a bunker in Ft. Worthless.

Reactions: Modoc and lash
AT-X only comes in 6.5 Creed so he can use both!

Nah you can get them in 6 Creed now too. Thought about it but elected to take the longer barrel life for my first tube, won’t feel as bad learning on this one yeeting rounds off that don’t hit anything.

Pretty liberating to have a rifle I can re-barrel easily on my own work bench.

Reactions: FWoo45 and lash
Nah you can get them in 6 Creed now too. Thought about it but elected to take the longer barrel life for my first tube, won’t feel as bad learning on this one yeeting rounds off that don’t hit anything.

Pretty liberating to have a rifle I can re-barrel easily on my own work bench.
No special tools required.

I've been gone for quite a while due to life events ... thought I'd hit the new guys section.
I'm already jealous!
Great first rifle, and good decision.

Let me introduce to you my short action AX in 338WSM 😉
I also have a 6.5prc, 300wsm and 223 barrel for it 🤫

Attachments

• IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 22
This MF has made the entry of the century.

I approve his stay.

Permission granted to enter The Pit.

Reactions: Mongo68
@trophyhunter

I’m sure you’ve covered this elsewhere but inquiring minds are… well inquiring on how this can be accomplished?

Point me in the right direction if you’d care to.

You took the words right out of Ronnie Barrett's mouth .........

@trophyhunter

I’m sure you’ve covered this elsewhere but inquiring minds are… well inquiring on how this can be accomplished?

Point me in the right direction if you’d care to.

Enter here ...

83oqs4.jpg

Whoa whoa hold on there, getting in the pit brings back memories of PT’ing to muscle failure while being yelled at and getting hot, sweaty, and covered in sand.

I have a DD214 to protect me from angry NCO’s….
DD 214s are no match for the pit's fury.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here

@RUN8 , Welcome to the hide! Love Hot Springs! HH6 was born there, but spend more time in Spearfish with the inlaws.