• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2024 BigJimFish Review / Article blog: PurePrecision, Precision Straight-Walled Cartridge Rifle, Proof, XTPS trigger, Levels

BigJimFish

Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Columbus, OH
Wow, I’m actually moving on from last years thread while still in the first month of this year. That has got to be a first. As with the previous 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 threads, the purpose of this thread is to provide a catalog of this years reviews and articles, give you a behind the scenes look at what I'm working on as I'm working on it, provide a place for input and comments, and, of course, give you something to bookmark that will ping you when a new article is done.

The majority of this years reviews are going to center around a 350 Legend rifle build. For those who do not know over the past few years a number of Midwestern states have changed their hunting regulations to allow straight walled rifle cartridges in areas where previously only slug shotguns were allowed for deer hunting. The purpose of that regulation was of course to limit the potential danger a hunter’s errant shot could do by limiting its range. Various forms of this type of hunting regulation exist in different counties, in different states, around most of the country. The most restrictive of these are bow only zones and these straight walled provisions are probably the least restrictive. As is often the case with regulation though, a little bit can go a long way. Straight walled cartridges are tremendously less ballisticly efficient than the specific bottleneck cartridges most popular for hunting these days. However, they are also a huge step up from a slug shotgun in pretty much every way. As such, I expect there will continuing expansion of these regulations to a greater number of states and counties in the future, as has been the pattern so far.

I want to thank Hornady for providing some information, ammo, bullets, and reloading dies for this 350 project. They were good enough to do this after I ambushed them with some technical questions when I was first assessing the project concept and viability. This is a tremendous help especially given the surprise ammo shortage we seem to have had crop up again just as I have been assembling the parts and pieces. The project will certainly be much the more informative for having their involvement.

2024 1 10 Hornady care package.jpg

Hornady 350 Legend care package

The Precison Straight-Walled Cartridge Rifle:

I have been interested in testing the limits of the straight walled concept ever since I first heard of the regulation change. So, when the PurePrecison guys asked me to review their new lightweight SKLTN action, I threw them the curve ball of wanting to put it on a straight wall build. After a little more research, I settled on 350 Legend as that straight-walled cartridge. Fundamentally, I want to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of this sort of cartridge, how far I can still reliably hit vital size targets, what the terminal performance of the cartridge looks like at different distances, and what oddities reloading a straight walled, case mouth head spacing, cartridge brings up. As such, my largest article this year will be an exploration of the precision straight walled cartridge rifle.

PurePrecison SKLTN Action and Altitude Stock:

Any rifle build is a great opportunity to test out a bunch of new components. PurePrecison’s new lightweight SKLTN action fits well the theme of a lightweight hunting rifle. PurePrecison has expanded a lot since I did the Crux rifle review and are now manufacturing their own actions haven taken on a partnership with an aerospace company. Whereas the Crux review examined PurePrecison as a small custom rifle builder, this one will show them as a larger component manufacturer making both actions and carbon composite stocks.

Proof:

I did an in-depth review of Proof carbon wrapped barrels a few years ago. That review involved data taken from two proof barreled rifles. I will be adding the data from the 350 Legend barrel in the straight-walled precision rifle article to that previous article. Hopefully, this will provide some more insight into the harmonic advantages of a carbon wrapped barrel. Unlike the previous two proof barrels, this one with also be a pre-fit drop in barrel. This has become a very popular way to build a precision rifle and Proof has become the leader in the practice.

XTSP MOD 22 Trigger:

X-Treme Shooting products has been the OEM for a number of high profile rifle projects. These include the Mk13 Mod 22 trigger used Mk13 Mod 5 sniper rifle, Accuracy international competition trigger, and the trigger in the Remington PSR rifle which won that solicitation and became the Mk21 before Remington blew the whole thing and went belly up. XTSP makes a 2 stage trigger for the 700 platform that is a two stage 4 lever design. I have been wanting to examine this trigger for a while and this year seems like a good time to do so.

Level use in Precison Rifle:

This one is a roll over from last year and is already half done. It will feature the different level types and mounting arrangements. I’ll also give some methods for properly mounting your scope and level so they are level with each other. Advice I have seen on this topic on the web has often been sub par. I’ll also talk some about the Pros and Cons of different arrangements, pitfalls to avoid in their use, and some numbers on how much error you can introduce by failing to have the scope level. I’ve assembled most of the relevant level types and arrangements. I just need to put it all together.

Riton Optics 3 Primal 3-18x50mm Crossover scope
Riton Optics 7 Conquer 4-32x56

Another roll over from last year, this one wasn’t added to last year’s reviews until near the end and so was probably always going to be this year. Frank has been quite pleased with his experience with Riton optics and asked me to take a look at a couple of their new offerings. The 3 Primal 3-18x50mm is a crossover hunting / precision rifle scope that has the zero stop, exposed turrets, FFP, and mil/mil (or MOA/MOA) of a precision rifle scope but in a smaller form factor and sub 30oz weight suitable for hunting. I’m a big fan of this concept as I have encountered at least some optics light enough to be of hunting use that really don’t give up any important long range features or even optical performance to get there. I also see the added distance compensation potential of scope with precision rifle features as a huge benefit for hunters allowing them to greatly extend their ethical kill range. The second scope, the 7 Conquer 4-32x56 is a high end Japanese made optic in the ~$2k price range with a huge magnification range and fairly high 32x max magnification. This is very much in the current higher magnification trend popular amongst competitive shooters.

Hi-Lux PR5 5-25x56 FFP:​

The Hi-Lux was tested with the other sub $1k scopes last year but had to be sent back to the manufacture at the end of the testing for evaluation because the example I had was not behaving to spec. There will be a resolution to this sometime this year.

That should be it for the scheduled articles and reviews. I am also going to start doing some shorter format pieces on products I have thoughts on but don’t want to do a full review of. I’m going to keep these to under a page in length and put these in this thread instead of on the home page. Most of these will be on products in classes that I don’t feel qualified to do a full review of. I have some tripods coming and a few nice bipods for instance. I have, or will have, opinions on these but, not being a competitive PRS type shooter, I don’t feel my opinions are particularly well informed. I also don’t have a lot of experience with the alternative options in this field. Some of the short format smaller pieces will also be on products that I am using but are just simple and I have a little to say on them but not a ton.

Lastly, if you were looking for my ShotShow 2024 reporting thread, you won't find it. I had enough stuff pending in the que to work on this year that I decided to save the time and money this year and skip the show. I typically only attend every few years to refresh contacts and catch up on new products so this isn’t really unusual.

Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph

It’s confession time. I hate my chronograph and basically only take it to the range if I’m developing a new load or specifically need the data for a review or article. The rest of the time, it sits at home. It’s not that the Oehler 35P I use is problematic. For a light based chrono, it is the best from both an accuracy and usability standpoint. It’s just still a huge PITA to lug it to the range, set it up, and align it so that I don’t shoot the thing. A few years back, I thought the magnetospeed might be the answer but after trying a buddies out I gave up that idea. It certainly effected the harmonics when on the barrel, was actually a little fiddly to set up and not shoot itself, and required a lot of effort, aftermarket parts, and a rifle with side rails if you wanted to set it up not on the barrel. I also thought the price was way high both for what it was, and for what it required you to add to it to not mess with your harmonics. So, I basically sat on the sidelines with the already paid for Oehler missing out on data on a whole lot of shots because I almost never used it. This year the Garmin came out and is supposed to be the greatest thing ever. Given how much data I need to take for articles this year I figured I would try out the Garmin and write something about it. Who knows, maybe it will be great enough I will regularly take it to the range and have a bunch more data on my shooting.

2018 oehler p35.jpg

Doing the PurePrecision Crux review with the Oehler 35P back in 2018

Safran Vectronix Vector X laser rangefinding binoculars

I’ll be continuing my series of reviews on electro optics this year with the new Vector X lrf binos from Vectronix. These should be the first 905nm rangefinders to be competitive with the 10k’s in laser performance. The Vector X binos have been designed as dual use for hunting and competition. To facilitate this they have optional 1.4x “range enhancers” that screw in and a tripod mount from RRS to allow them to essentially be converted into a spotting scope replacement. The Vector X binos also feature glass etched reticles. One of these reticle choices features a milling section for use with the 1.4x enhancers and a second for use without the enhancers. Other standout features are a full D pad control system and integrated AMOLED display for what should be best in class user interface. The Vector X’s have full onboard AB elite and will interface with the full AB suite of products including the AB calypso wind meter, which should be ready to go with the Vector X at time of shipping. The Vector X binos will also interface with a number other products such as the Garmin watch, DRS gun mounted display, and Hornady’s 4DOF as well as Desert Tech’s Trasol. The glass in these binos is also expected to be quite good. Good enough that they are even releasing a model without the laser rangefinder. It certainly looks like Vectronix has spent a good deal of time and effort on the fine details of this product and I’m excited to give it a look.

VECTOR-X promo resize.jpg

Safran Vectronix Vector X

Last edited:
Update 1-31-2024

Tuesday Frank and I did an EverDaySniper podcast with Frank on sub $1k scopes. In this podcast we talked about sub $1k scopes in general, a little about how to pick the right scope for you, and I gave a short summary of each of the sub $1k scopes I have reviewed in the past few years. These scopes were:

Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and Sightron SIII 6-24x50 PLR
Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50
Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50mm
Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50
Athlon Midas TAC 5-25x56
Meopta Optika6 5-30x56 RD
Arken EP5 5-25x56
Primary Arms GLx 3-18x44 & 4.5-27x56
Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56
Optisan EVX Gen II 4-16x44F1

In a few weeks we will do a podcast going over the ~$2k scopes from the last couple years as well as the couple alpha glass scopes as well.

2024 2 1 Hawkins magazine.jpg

Hawkins Hunter magazine in .223 / 350L

On the review front, pieces continue to trickle in for the 350L build. The Hawkins hunter flush mount .223 / 350L mag that fits with their Hunter DBM came in a couple days ago. For those who didn’t catch it in my Shotshow 2023 coverage, this is an M5 inlet AICS bottom metal that is flush with the bottom of the stock instead of having the extended mag well now common in AICS bottom metals. The magazine is designed to work in conjunction with that flush fit bottom metal and likewise fits close to flush with the stock providing the clean look of an internal magazine with the convenience of a DBM. The magazines are machined from solid bar stock, are double stack / single feed, and hold 5x .223 rounds or 4x 350L rounds.

Update 2-12-2024

Wednesday Frank and I got caught up on my past optics reviews with an EveryDaySniper podcast on ~$2k and above rifle scopes. This included both the scopes in the ~$2k series and the couple of Alpha reviews I have done over the years. This podcast includes a very brief discussion of each optic I have reviewed as well as some discussion of what to expect from optics in these price classes in general. We finish up with a little preview of my articles this year. The scopes discussed include:

Sightron S6 5-30x56
Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
Sig Tango 6 5-30x56
Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS3 6-36x56
Minox 5-25x56 LR
Minox ZP5 5-25x56
Zero Compromise ZC420

In other news, a couple of Field Optics Research tripods I purchased arrived a couple days ago. I don’t think I had mentioned this yet but I actually spend a good bit of time at ShotShow last year looking at shooting tripods. The concept of shooting long range off of a tripod has absolutely caught fire in the last few years and I was thinking of doing a series of reviews surrounding this. I changed my mind partially because I had a whole bunch of other stuff in the que, partially because I don’t think I really have enough knowledge and experience on the topic to be the guy who does those reviews, and partially because of the products themselves. The products were a difficult mix of price, features, and a great deal of blatant intellectual property theft (not this brand on that count BTW), to combine into a cogent series. I still picked out a few things I wanted though and bought them when I got around to it. After I get some experience shooting with the Field Optics Research stuff I will write something up on it. For now they made a very nice stand for some photos I needed to take for the bubble level article. The tripods I have are the Hunter 32DT ASFPL and PRO39-MIL ASFPL and I also have some FM-570 GunPOD gun vices and should have an FM-300F gunvice coming as well.

2024 2 12 pureprecision kelbly.jpg

Field Optics Research PRO39-MIL ASFPL tripod system with a friends Kelbly Atlas rifle and Hunter 32DT ASFPL system with my PurePrecision crux.

Update 2-26-2024

Despite the initial 6 week shipping estimate when I ordered it, the Garmin Xero C1 chrono arrived last week. I guess I haven’t even mentioned it yet. There are a few products that I will be reviewing that I haven’t put in this thread. This Garmin is one of them and there is another big one that I’ll be able to talk about next week. That one is under NDA whereas I just hadn’t gotten around to mentioning the Garmin. Anyhow, man is it small and light. I took a pic of it next to a swiss army knife to try to put it in context. It’s not like I hadn’t seen pics of if but somehow they did not convey the size accurately to me. It’s absolutely tiny. Given the cost, I’m a bit disappointed in the complete lack of the inclusion of any case. I guess I found a use of the little ditty bag Arken includes in their accessory set with the rings and bubble level. Still, the chrono is $600 guys, you can’t put it in a nice case? I’m pretty sure there would be plenty of profit left.

2024 2 26 garmin victorinox.jpg

Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph with a swiss army knife for scale

In other news, the PurePrecision 350 Legend is just about done. They are just doing some function testing and it will be on it’s way. I’m stoked to get started on this years big project. BTW, the PurePrecision guys are running a big sale to coincide with the Western Hunting & Conservation Expo right now. Some pretty heavy discounts on both rifles, actions, and stocks.

Lastly, the article on levels is done being written. I should have it proofread and up in week or so.

Update 2-28-2024

The article on level use in precision rifle is now live. This sort of ended up being three articles that I have divided them up as such into three clearly delineated “parts.” I went back and forth about actually dividing it into three articles but ended up thinking this middle ground with the big, obvious, divisions was better than making three articles that felt a little incomplete on their own. Anyhow, the first part has a lot of numbers on level use and a good deal of general information. The second part is about scope mounting with a level and the third is some discussion of different level types and mini-reviews of some level products. I do expect to add a few more images and diagrams to this article over time but I didn’t want to hold it up any longer for that since it may be a few weeks before I get out to the range again to do those photos.

2024 2 22 four levels.jpg

The leveliest rifle ever lol

On a different subject, I took the Garmin Chrono to the range yesterday and mistreated it. Basically, I stood it up on the little table plank thing indoor ranges have in the lanes with the Garmin much further from the bore line than it is supposed to be and then gave it just 21ft to pick up the shot on top of that. In short, I set it up how it was easiest to set up instead of what the directions said to do and then just expected it to work. Than, to my surprise, it actually did. I think it only dropped two 9mm shots and a handful of fairly rapid fire .22lr shots the whole range session. This was easily a better than 90% shot pick up rate despite my complete disregard for the instructions. I felt that was pretty amazing. I have some work to figure out the Garmin ShotView app use though. My data showed up on the phone but I failed to figure out how to control the device with the phone. Anyhow, here is a random phone screenshot from the day and a group I shot with my buddies new P365. The group isn’t germane to anything but I want to brag about it. That is a damn good group at 21ft. I am not the best handgun marksman so it’s surely not about to happen again.

2024 2 27 first range day 9mm.jpg

9mm shot string in the Garmin ShotView app.

2024 2 27 sig 365 group crop.jpg

I’m going to brag about this group I shot at 21ft with a P365 subcompact even if it isn’t germane to anything

Lastly, big product announcement tomorrow….

Attachments

• 2024 2 22 four levels.jpg
    2024 2 22 four levels.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: longrange772
Update 2024 2 29

Happy Safran Vectronix Vector X release date.

This is that big product announcement I have been teasing. Safran is a large military / aerospace company best known in precision rifle circles for it’s military electro-optics products marketed under the trade name Vectronix. Despite being originally only sold to military and LEO, many of these products were nevertheless civilian legal and became popular on the secondary market. Most important among these was probably the original Vectronix Terrapin that for years was the undisputed best laser rangefinder a person could get for substantially less than the price of a car. After that, Vectronix dipped it’s toe into the civilian market with the Terrapin X. This had successes and convinced them to create a commercial business unit within Vectronix dedicated to products for long range shooters and hunters. These Vector X laser rangefinding binoculars and the Radical X sister product which is the same binocular without the rangefinder are the first products of that new division.

A couple of months ago, the Vectronix folks reached out to Frank and me about taking a look at a new product. They were interested in having us review the product on the hide. Given all the work I have recently done with the Leica Geovid pro and Sig 10k reviews and EveryDaySniper podcast on electro optics and applied ballistics, this seemed like a great fit and I’m excited to be doing the review.

Meating with Philip and talking about the Vector X, the first thing to strike me about the Vector X's is that they will be competitive with the 10k's in maximum range. I had mentioned in the afore mentioned EDC podcast, that there would be more such ultra high range 905nm rangefinders following the 10k's and this is the first such product. Though the spec sheet lists the Vector X's as having a max range of 7k yds and not 10k yds, that max range is not a memory hard stop such as 3k meters appears to be on the Leica Geovid Pro's. The Vectors can return ranges substantially further than that and I have been told they will match or perhaps slightly exceed the 10k's.

The second thing to strike me was the value of the Vector X's in the dual role of spotter / field binos. With the screw on "range enhancers" each of these models is boosted to 1.4x it's original magnification. This puts them squarely in spotter magnification range and, with the aid of the tripod adapter RRS is making and the dual reticle option (the left reticle is calibrated for base magnification and the right one for magnification with range enhancers) the Vector X's should make a magnificent spotting scope replacement. I understand most match guys are already using high powered binos in this role anyway. How much better to have the LRF and ballistic solution baked into that, especially in team matches. This struck me as a huge winning feature. Of course, without adding these things, the Vector X should perform quite well in a hunting role.

The next feature to strike me is that these Vector X's are supposed to have very good glass. The glass is so good, in fact, that they are planning to also release a model that is just binoculars without the laser rangefinder that they are calling the Radical X. Somebody must have let Elon Musk in the product naming room. Good optical performance is a big win for both the spotter replacement and field glass roles and I am excited to test them out to see how they do optically.

The interface of the Vector X's interestes me. Most LRF binos have just two buttons which makes it pretty cumbersome to navigate menues. Even more so if the display is just a segmented LED with a bunch of weird acronyms you will never remeber. The Vector X's have a full D pad in addition to a ranging button for a total of 6 buttons to use in conjunction with a full AMOLED screen. It should be a dream to navigate menues and the D pad buttons also have shortcuts attached to them when not in the menue system for even quicker use on the clock. The interface of these binos seems to have been very carefully designed for the match shooter and I am looking forward to trying it out. I am also looking forward to trying out Vectronix applied ballistics app integration. I found the Sig version a bit clunky for non BDX system use and am hoping the Vectronix flavor will be an excellent UI. They certainly seem to have spent some time trying to get the features just right for the competitive shooter so I’m very hopeful.

I should also mention that these Vector X binos will be ready for integration with Calipso wind meters. I understand this will be ready at time of launch. I'm pretty stoked to try this out and get the full details, as I understand there is a pretty robust integration including capabilities to integrate multiple sensors in down range locations for ELR. These are details I want to understand.

Lastly, the Vector X has a lot of choices in device integration. You can even leave the AB ecosystem if you want and do 4DOF or Trasol. You can also integrate the Vector X's with a lot of other devices such as Garmin watches, the DRS gun mounted display, Kestrels, and the afore mentioned AB Calipso wind meter. Details vary depending on product, for instance, I understand communication with 4DOF and Trasol is one way but that is nevertheless a lot of options for people when it comes to personalizing their workflow.

VECSS_VECTOR-X-42_Data-Sheet_2024-02-20.jpg

VECSS_VECTOR-X-42_Data-Sheet_2024-02-20 2.jpg

VECSS_VECTOR-X-42_Data-Sheet_2024-02-20 3.jpg

Vector X preliminary specification sheets:

Link to the big SnipersHide thread on the Vector X which will probably be pages long in no time.

Reactions: carbonbased
Update 3-21-2024

The Hawkins hunter bottom metal came for the 350L build. As I expected the machining is excellent and it looks great with their flush fit magazine. It’s off to the PurePrecison guys for the final assembly and testing now. Shouldn’t be long.

2024 3 20 hawkins bottom metal unboxing.jpg

Hawkins AICS/ M5 Hunter DBM and Hunter Magazine

In other developments, I spoke with the guys at Barnes and they will be sending some of their 170gr TSX VOR-TX ammunition as well as some bullets. I think these will be a great addition as the open hollow point design and soft copper material of the bullet allows for expansion over a wide range of impact velocity. The Barnes tech told me they have been tested to expand down to 1,100fps. This will equate to more than 300yds in probably any rifle. At this juncture, the article is set to have four different Hornady rounds, two Winchester offerings, and the just mentioned Barnes. That is a pretty good selection.

Last edited:
Update 3-22-2024

The Barnes Vor-TX ammo and TSX bullets are here.

2024 3 22 barnes unboxing.jpg

Barnes 350 Legend offerings. 170gr Loaded Vor-TX ammunition and 170gr TSX bullets

The PurePrecision rifle was also assembled test fired yesterday. It should be on it’s way soon. It will be fun to get started at the range with this straight walled project.

Update 4-7-2024

The XTSP MOD 22 trigger arrived this week and I have been running it through the “lab” type tests for break weight consistency, min pull weight, and such in the Kelbly Atlas Tactical action before the PurePrecision 350 Legend rifle it will eventually go in arrives. This is for consistency as the TriggerTech and Bix n’ Andy triggers were also tested in this action and with this gauge. It is also pretty easy to do the testing in this action as Kelbly actions use a trigger hanger so you aren’t having to pound away at the receiver pins to swap out a trigger for testing.

2024 4 7 xtsp install in kelbly.jpg

Mounting the XTSP MOD 22 trigger in the Kelbly Atlas Tactical action for testing.

On another project, I finally broke down and spent the $55 for one of the Teslong bore scope. It might be the best $50 I ever spent on shooting stuff. I have learned so much so quickly. Turns out, I was spending too much time cleaning my Vudoo .22lr. That thing is clean as a whistle after only about 3 patch and brush cycles. No need to continue. The rifle was pretty dirty too. It had a least 500rds since it’s last cleaning before I scoped it for the pics.

2024 4 7 before and after clean.jpg

Before and after cleaning my ~500rds dirty Vudoo .22lr. Shown is the throat and early in the lands.

On center fire I also learned a good bit about carbon rings, hard carbon, copper fouling, and what it takes to deal with each. I am no expert here but I think I had some things wrong and further, that most advice might even be more wrong. Anyhow, it’s the borescope era people. Drop your $55 bucks and get one already. Be happy, it is about the cheapest tool in all of precision shooting.

Excited to read this. As a hunter in the straight wall state...it always seems like 350 gets overlooked by most educated sources.

Any plans on reviewing the bear creek ballistics ammo?

Excited to read this. As a hunter in the straight wall state...it always seems like 350 gets overlooked by most educated sources.

Any plans on reviewing the bear creek ballistics ammo?
It's not in my initial lineup of ammo and bullets to take a look at but I may add it at some point. I may also take a look at the cutting edge 350 bullets later as well.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
Update 4-18-2024

Guess what’s here…. It’s the PurePrecison SKLTN in 350 Legend. I spent some time this evening fitting the XTSP trigger into it. Tomorrow I’ll break out the bore scope and take a look down the tube as well as try to get some nicer photos with some natural light. Sure looks good in person though. The Matte look of the PurePrecision Altitude stock and the flush mount Hawkins Hunter mag really come together well. I have a range trip coming up next week and I’m excited to see what a straight-wall hunting cartridge can do.

2024 4 18 skltn first post.jpg

PurePrecision SKLTN 350 Legend AICS DBM Straight-Wall Hunting Rifle

Reactions: AleksanderSuave