• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

An interesting question occurred to me

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Its illegal to carry a rire arm onto government property, meaning in this case, the post office.

Since UPS and FedEx dont ship guns anymore that only leaves the post office.

Technically, then, youre committing a federal crime the moment you step onto the property with a firearm

I'll have to askk the net time I go in but it seems contradictory.

On a different note, would it be a crime to ship a long gun through UPS and tell them its a set of driving irons, or a fishing rig. Or just a violation of their rules.

UPS and FedEx requires you to use an FFL. They absolutely ship guns

Carry means on you as in wear as in bear...

I discussed that very question with the post office manager several years ago. I was told that when a Firearm is brought in for shipping it is a 'package' just like any other. It is required that you declare it as such but its just another package to be shipped.

Reactions: Maggot
    UPS and FedEx requires you to use an FFL. They absolutely ship guns

Forgive my not spelling it out a bit more, but you just showed that neither ship them unless youre an FFL. I knew that. Most of us arent.

I discussed that very question with the post office manager several years ago. I was told that when a Firearm is brought in for shipping it is a 'package' just like any other. It is required that you declare it as such but its just another package to be shipped.
    Thats what I expected.

A friend told me that his cousin's uncle said his brother & his friends ship powder to each other all the time, all carriers and have been for years. I was like, no shit? :LOL:

• Love
    On a different note, would it be a crime to ship a long gun through UPS and tell them its a set of driving irons, or a fishing rig. Or just a violation of their rules.

Not a crime, but they will not cover any claims for loss or damage due to violation of said policy. They have been known to destroy packages that are out-of-policy when discovered.

Forgive my not spelling it out a bit more, but you just showed that neither ship them unless youre an FFL. I knew that. Most of us arent.

I have done it many times on FedEx. I never use UPS unless there is no option. UPS clowns lost a 1000 gun shipment from Ruger out of a secured, locked area.

It's a box, and I insure it for double the value. They don't ask what's in the box, and I don't volunteer any info that they don't ask for.

A friend told me that his cousin's uncle said his brother & his friends ship powder to each other all the time, all carriers and have been for years. I was like, no shit? :LOL:
    Are they from West Virginia?

I have done it many times on FedEx. I never use UPS unless there is no option. UPS clowns lost a 1000 gun shipment from Ruger out of a secured, locked area.

It's a box, and I insure it for double the value. They don't ask what's in the box, and I don't volunteer any info that they don't ask for.
    Note that you will not be covered for loss or damage, as it's out of policy. No reason to pay for insurance.

Note that you will not be covered for loss or damage, as it's out of policy. No reason to pay for insurance.
    I pay for the insurance, because I don't have to ever reveal that it was a rifle. Lots of things are 3 feet long and worth a few grand.

UPS clowns lost a 1000 gun shipment from Ruger out of a secured, locked area.
    I have done it many times on FedEx. I never use UPS unless there is no option.

Wow!

I dont ship a lot of guns, but I do ship audio electronics, sometimes valued many thousands of dollars, so you've got to insure well and the insurance is high. Anything I ship I cover the object, and shipping and insurance because if its lost they wont refund the shipping.

I pay for the insurance, because I don't have to ever reveal that it was a rifle. Lots of things are 3 feet long and worth a few grand.
    Unless you actually have a claim, at which point you'll need to provide evidence of what was in the package and what it was worth, like receipts. I've had to process a couple of claims, they won't pay and you can sue till the cows come home, best of luck.

If the "cutlery set" that was covered by insurance was lost why wouldn't it be covered?

Unless you actually have a claim, at which point you'll need to provide evidence of what was in the package and what it was worth, like receipts. I've had to process a couple of claims, they won't pay and you can sue till the cows come home, best of luck.
    Yeah, I had a pair of valuable speakers damaged by UPS. They laughed at me until the former owner, who was a wealthy influential doctor, stepped in and threatened a lawsuit against the local UPS store who shipped them. Had a check in 3 days.

If the "cutlery set" that was covered by insurance was lost why wouldn't it be covered?
    It would, jsut show the receipt. Thats where you get fucked. If an items valuable (not nec a gun) I usually take photos of the packing process.

Let's put it this way, if you think medical insurance is a racket, you've seen nothing compared to common carriers. Anything over the base $100 is a major fight without detailed records, and even that may take months to be processed.

Only had 1 claim, package was "lost", got a check.

Easy to get a receipt for "photography equipment" or "golf clubs" or "astronomy supplies" from a friend who owns a pawn shop. That 1 is less than 1% of my total shipments.

Most go USPS because it's generally cheaper. And that's not 100+ this year. I'm old. Lost count of how many times I have shipped a gun to myself, care of an outfitter, guide, ranch, or friend. Only problem ever was one I shipped for a friend, and we got a check for almost double the value.

I also overpack the crap out of anything that I ship. Most rifles look like a wrapped farm implement when I ship. Costs more, but bubble wrap is cheap, and it seems that FedEx is more careful when I buy insurance.

For example, the Coronado 90 SolarMax III Double Stack Solar Telescope is 27.9" L x 6.2" W x 7" H and weighs just ove 17 lbs. Replacement cost is $9500, and I put it in a larger box to add more bubble wrap to protect it. because of the value.

See, I only had one large protective hard case. Coincidentally, it was my double rifle case.

For example, the Coronado 90 SolarMax III Double Stack Solar Telescope is 27.9" L x 6.2" W x 7" H and weighs just ove 17 lbs. Replacement cost is $9500, and I put it in a larger box to add more bubble wrap to protect it. because of the value.

See, I only had one large protective hard case. Coincidentally, it was my double rifle case.
    I dont have $9500 to spend to protect a $3000 rifle.

I suppose you could buy it and return it, they usually just staple an extra return receipt to the original. Until they check with the store...they may be careless but when it comes to their $$$ they arent stupid.

Pretty sure CMP still sends guns to residences via FedEx.

Work is fighting with FedEx now. FedEx guy came in and picked up our UPS packages consisting of manufactured product.

Now they say they can't find them and they won't pay a claim because there is no tracking number. Of course there is no Fed Ex tracking number they have UPS labels on them.

I told the lady dealing with it to file a police report for theft greater than $1000 against Fed Ex.

I know our ups guys, and they know the other ups guys. They know what I am shipping because they have to sign the forms. Sold a few high dollar (for me) guns earlier this year without issue. Always insured, to an ffl. Play by their rules and you wont loose.

Hey guys I know yall been shipping guns successfully many times yourselves but if the gun means anything to you use an FFL to ship it. Find a cheap home based FFL and ask them to ship it for you. As far as I know, no gun has been lost or stolen when an FFL ships it. If it does the ATF will recover it. If a non FFL ships a gun the ATF won't help you. The post office and most shippers know this and that's how guns get lost or stolen.

Yeah I'm an FFL