• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

An interesting quiz on ancient Greece.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I studied philosophy in college and did a specialization on the Greeks. Very interesting folks, the foundational ideas of our democracy. Aside from many of them embracing homosexuality, especially with young males (which they saw much as a mentoring program and not as abuse) I really admire them and their achievements. To get a good understanding of their culture I recommend reading 'The History' by Herodotus and or 'The History of the Peloponnesian War' by Thucydides. T his quiz is pretty good. I missed 2 of the questions. Hope ya'll find it enjoyable.

Click Here To Start Quiz

Yeah, I get their contribution to Western civilization but they and the Turks would still rather stab you in the ass.

Forget trying to read Herodotus. VDH has THE best book on the Peloponnesian War.

He is a great story teller, and this is great book!

Also, the Greek buggery during the Classical Period was more akin to prison-rape/dominance/power based behavior than "homosexuality" as we understand it. Two men having romantic feelings for each other was called Ketoi (sp?), and was punishable by death in every polis in Greece, whereas pederasty and rape was not only accepted, but considered what a manly man does to those of lesser social standing. It's not an easy thing to understand or wrap your head around that pederasty and rape wasn't abhorrent behavior, but for me nothing else illustrates just how brutal and dark the world was at that time. Civilization was just starting to be a thing, and human life had very little value at all...

Forget trying to read Herodotus. VDH has THE best book on the Peloponnesian War.

He is a great story teller, and this is great book!

Also, the Greek buggery during the Classical Period was more akin to prison-rape/dominance/power based behavior than "homosexuality" as we understand it. Two men having romantic feelings for each other was called Ketoi (sp?), and was punishable by death in every polis in Greece, whereas pederasty and rape was not only accepted, but considered what a manly man does to those of lesser social standing. It's not an easy thing to understand or wrap your head around that pederasty and rape wasn't abhorrent behavior, but for me nothing else illustrates just how brutal and dark the world was at that time. Civilization was just starting to be a thing, and human life had very little value at all...

Good post.

What I like about Herodotus is his style of writing, very much like he's just witnessing the events as they happen.

When I look around at the world today ofter it doesnt seem that much has changed.