• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

An Unusual Intro from Houston, TX

KrazyKajunTX

Tinkerer
Minuteman
May 17, 2017
Houston, TX
I have used Sniper’s Hide forums as a reference tool for years now and I am just getting around to becoming a member. Better late than never.

Is it weird that I have this vision in my head that I am in one of those counseling circles, introducing myself...
Me: Hello, my name is Austin and I am a gun-o-holic.
Group: Welcome Austin!
But seriously. I am from Houston, TX and a 3rd generation Texan. I have been around guns since I was 7 and have been fascinated ever since. I went hunting once with my grandfather and when it came to the gutting and dressing... I was out and have never been hunting since. My wife calls me her paper hunter and I am OK with that. A far left-wing democrat would call me a gun crazy fascist, but I feel "aficionado" is more suitable. All politics aside, my gun hobby began with pistols, which ended after I drank the Kimber kool-aid by mistake. I subsequently ventured into the AR-15 rabbit hole and came out with invaluable experience and knowledge that helped me when I dipped my toes into the SCAR pool. With gray hair creeping into my beard, I figured it was time I tackle the bolt gun mountain.

My bolt gun trek started with the purchase of a Remington 700 Mil-spec 5R 20" (.308). Nothing to write home about, I know, but I am proud to own it. I have owned the rifle for 4 years and have yet to shoot it [*gasp*]. I bedded the action (twice…) into a B&C Varmint/Tactical stock, which I had inletted by Badger with an M5 DBM. The only reason I have not shot the rifle yet is I can’t afford the scope I want to get for it (other hobbies and a 6-month old son). Dumb excuse, I know, but I am hoping it will be the end-all-be-all scope I will ever need/want. I just recently got bit by the J. Allen bug and that is setting the completion of this bolt project even further behind “schedule.”

Anyway, that is a glimpse into my quirky mind. I hope to get to know a few of you guys (& gals) and I am definitely interested in learning all I can. I have also kicked around getting into matches, but I have to have my rifle finished before I open that can of worms.

Attachments

• photo58086.jpg
    photo58086.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Welcome to the Hide. Slap a scope on that thing and shoot it. Around here we are always saving for the next great thing and by the time we have the money the newest great thing has been announced and we start all over again. You can find a solid scope for a bargain in the PX and sell it off when you're ready to upgrade.

Reactions: TxWelder35
Exactly what Bogey said. Grab a decent used scope from the PX here, buy some great ammo and get to shooting it. Federal Gold Medal Match ammo can be had for less than $25/ box and should do well in that rifle.

I'd recommend that you stop dreaming about your next rifle and start dreaming about sight picture, proper fundamentals and the relaxation that comes from a good day on the rifle.

Welcome to the Hide.

Well, it has been a while since I updated my introduction and I bit the bullet and upgraded my bolt rifle. Everything is installed and scope has been zeroed. I have only put about 20 rounds through it, but it is time to put it through its paces. The only thing left is to get Custom Gun Coatings to get a custom camo put on the chassis.

Defiance Deviant Elite
Kreiger M24
JAE-700
Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56mm F1 (Mil-C)

Attachments

• Kershaw_Defiance_v1-1_C.jpg
    Kershaw_Defiance_v1-1_C.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 35
  • Kershaw_Defiance_v1-1_A.jpg
    Kershaw_Defiance_v1-1_A.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Kershaw_Defiance_v1-1_B.jpg
    Kershaw_Defiance_v1-1_B.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Howland
I guess it is time to update the thread though, the bolt project was finally completed and coated (wOOt!). Apparently a tiger can change its stripes...

IMG_4942 copy.jpg

Reactions: Krob95
You've been here 3x longer than me but welcome from another Houstonian. Where do you shoot? I'm up in spring.