• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

and a good time was had by all...

schollianmj

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2012
So I have been taking my son to the range a handful of times lately. he is starting to be able to hold decent groups for a 10 year old on the 15yd line so today he wanted to try the "Big Boy Range" and shoot on the rifle side of the range. I took him to the 75yd line and we got started...

Here he is shooting... Kinda an odd position, but he is a bit small to fit the bench... Heck, I barely fit the damn thing.
2012-09-05_16-25-44_0.jpg

This is one thing Im trying to correct. He has a hellaciously odd grip. He actually uses the first two fingers to press the trigger. I asked him why and he said "If I use one finger I jerk the hell outta it!" Im guessing he listens to me correcting his mommy to often...
2012-09-05_16-00-09_713.jpg

and after shooting I dont kow how many rounds from the Ruger 10/22 and my Marlin 70, this was the result.
Untitled-2.jpg

and this was his first time shooting at distances farther than 15-20 yds on the pistol range. Im proud.

Re: and a good time was had by all...

That's something any father would be proud of! Those tiny little groups and body position and trigger control will all fall into play soon. But the best thing is you have him out there. Congrats and go dad!

i've seen grown men shoot worse
smile.gif

really is fantastic that you have him with you at the range. perhaps let him try shooting prone ans see how he likes it.

Love seeing our youth getting out and getting some trigger time. They our certainly our future!
smile.gif

Now, about those shooting benches... I swear (at my local Range) I think they built our four shooting benches for people they assume are 7 feet tall...lol...
smirk.gif

The Prone dont really work to well here... You cant really see it in the pics, but the table is tilted a bit up in the front because while the gound is level there, the target points are elevated a bit. Not a lot, but just enought that when I have my .308 out I have to extend the bipod all the way and then the rear of the stock is damn near on the ground... it is VERY uncomfortable.

And yea, I think our benches are sized for the 7' people... even though I have never seen any there.
smile.gif

He has a blast there. Took him out both tonight and last night for 3 hours each day. He went through an entire box of 550 rounds! Tonight I was shooting my M&P and realized he was no longer shooting in the pistol lane beside me, (he loves my Ruger MkII). When i asked what was wrong he said he was out of ammo. Didnt expect that box to go empty in 2 days!

Only issue with my range is there are no range personell. so there is no one regulating stupidity. granted a bonus at our range is there are no range personell to tell me I cant do what I want...
smile.gif
I have had some stupid thinggs happen, such as tonight I was just about to press the trigger on me .308 when I saw something pink flash across the sight picture in my scope. Looked up and there was a little girl about 6 years old chasing butterflies in front of me about 50 feet! HOW THE F%$# DID SHE GET DOWN RANGE!! Then her dad had the audacity to yell at me and tell me I need to be more observant.

But I digress, This is fun and a wonderful way to bond with my son! he challenged me tonight to a shootoff at 50Yds. he could shoot any way he wanted, but I had to shoot weak side Iron sights. hated to break it to the little guy but I shoot with both sides just fine. He said the smilie face I shot was just showing off. then proceeded to gig me for each round out of the black that I used to make the smile. By his count he won. I can live with that so i got to pay for the Milkshakes on the way home.

Glad to see a dad and son having a great time at the range!!
We have "Pop gun night" once a month at our club and all the kids come out and shoot. We have a shoot out broken into three age groups and hand out 1,2, and 3rd place medals on red white and blue ribbons. I got to tell you those kids just beam!! It is the most fun I have all month!!
I am one of those range safety officers and yes we can be a real pain in the ass, but that usually means your doing something really stupid if not deadly? You would not believe how many times a day someone points a gun at someone?
Great job dad get out there and shoot anther brick:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: schollianmj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had some stupid thinggs happen, such as tonight I was just about to press the trigger on me .308 when I saw something pink flash across the sight picture in my scope. Looked up and there was a little girl about 6 years old chasing butterflies in front of me about 50 feet! HOW THE F%$# DID SHE GET DOWN RANGE!! Then her dad had the audacity to yell at me and tell me I need to be more observant.</div></div>

Just wow! I guess he's just one of those people who blame others instead of taking personal responsibility.