• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing ? and advice on new chuck

Lefty Lucas

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Western KY
This question is to the gunsmiths on this forum and even the home gunsmiths. I am wanting to buy a better 4 jaw ind. chuck. the one I have is to big (12") and it will not dial in the way i need it to. It seems like it has to much play in it. I am thinking about a 8" 4 jaw ind. Gator. Or do I need a 8" 6 jaw tru-cut? My lathe hookup is a D1-6 so I would need a backing plate for ether chuck.
Thanks
Lefty Lucas

Re: ? and advice on new chuck

I have a gator set-tru 3 jaw that I run on a 12x36 import lathe and for the price they are a great chuck. On my sheldon I run a older 6-jaw set true Buck, it is deffinately a better chuck, but if I was buying a new one I would go gator for the price. The 3 and 4 jaw chucks for both lathes sit and gather dust. I can dial in the set-tru when im barreling and still have the ability to use the lathe for odds and ends and not have to dial in a 4-jaw for everything.

I really like a 6 Jaw Tru-Adjust chuck. It really supports a round part and doesn't distort it as much. Usually you can only get about .01-.02 off center with the Tru-Adjust. I have been known to turn my backing plate to get more adjustment. The 4 jaw gives you more capability for holding square parts or an action with a bottom flat. I have also been known to run a 6 Jaw without a jaw or two when holding a strange shape part. Really you need both it's just which do you buy first. The Buck chucks which I think are call BTC (Buck Tool Company) are pretty pricey. I hate to send money to the Chineese but the Gator chucks don't look too bad for the money.

I am glad this came up. I am going to pull the trigger on the ssg setup and was wondering how the gator is. I think a 6" 6jaw is all it will take.

I really liked the SSG system but it was going to be to thick for my lathe I need to stay under 6" thick or I will not be able to use my outbound spider. Allso it was a little over my budget.
cry.gif

Lefty Lucas

I don't think you'll need the spider with a dead nuts true chuck.....unless you are going to spin it super fast.

hero:
Let me know your thoughts about the SSG system after you use it. I'm still thinking about it and I might save up the funds and buy one.

Lefty lucas