• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

And I need a Larue why??

Love Geissele, but rail still mounts to bbl nut. Heat and Bipod load changes often make for POI shift, is one reason why the Larue is a better LR design for a gas gun.

Love Geissele, but rail still mounts to bbl nut. Heat and Bipod load changes often make for POI shift, is one reason why the Larue is a better LR design for a gas gun.

Obviously not affecting this rifle...

Only on the internet will you find someone who is going to argue with evidence presented...

I don't recall saying anything about the 2 groups on the same target...

It's clear that you are not a fan of this rifle, don't see why you have to come into this thread and spoil the OP's happiness.

Two groups fired on the same target isn't evident of a damn thing.

I'm not trying to say it's the world's best precision rifle, or that I'm the world's best marksman (most definitely not). I'm just really happy an AR-15 with a chrome lined barrel and a few mods can shoot around .5 MOA fairly consistently with factory ammo. Better than I could have ever hoped for!

Those first two groups were shot on the same day, though not back to back. They are the two best groups I've shot with this gun, but even with 6 consecutive 5 shot groups it still held just over .6 MOA. Having spent some time over at ARFCOM reading the Larue threads, I just feel like this gun is shooting as good or better than most of those $3K rifles. Not saying they are bad guns, just that I'm impressed with this one so far.

I can't wait to see what my upcoming GAP-10 can do!

I wasn't saying your rifle isn't consistent, just telling the other guy that two groups doesn't show there is no POI shift. Don't believe Larues are the end all be all though, there are rifles that are as or more accurate and reliable for less money, plus Mark Larue is a dbag. I saw a guy with a OBR at a match recently and it was chokin on every stage. Double feeds, FTE, you name it. Their rifles and mounts for that matter are nothing special but the arfcom boys will never see that.

My DPMS SASS does that and better all day long. Only upgrade is a Geissele trigger & it's wearing a leupold vx-3 lrt.
Just sayin'

Nice stick even if it is a Larue, lol kidding aside that is a beautiful and what looks like a very accurate rifle. Congrats as I am not a Larue hater and have shot the OBR, and Predator and came away impressed.

I doubt that. Theoretically better? Yes. Any practical difference? No.

All of the guns I shoot have handguards that attach to the barrel nut. I've never exerpienced a point of impact shift that I would attribute to the way the tube connects.

Most of the time the "nut" behind the trigger affects accuracy.

All of the guns I shoot have handguards that attach to the barrel nut. I've never exerpienced a point of impact shift that I would attribute to the way the tube connects.

That is also a Geissele MK1 rail, which utilizes an oversized barrel nut with only a few thousandths of clearance to the rail. Having mounted it on there, I'd say it's rock solid secure... far more than the average rail mounting solution. You pay the price in weight, but I can't complain for use as a precision setup.

Not at 100 and not with slow fire and not with zero or consistent bi-pod load. LR is a game of controlling variables. If you don't think when you add pressure to the end of a lever (longer the hand guard the more leverage) when you load a bipod into a barricade, wrap a sling for a non-standard, or even push into bi-pod loops on your mat effects accuracy more when that lever is attached to your bbl nut. Is it an issue with every rifle and every firing schedule? not always. But when you heat things up and add a load, it will open up a lot of gas guns. If you can mount directly to the upper, why wouldn't you? Again, I run geissele on everything (save mega, LMT, and Larue), they do are better than others. But if I could mount my Geissele directly to the receiver, I would. Do you think the bbl nut mount is a superior design?

That's two groups likely fired back to back. That's not hardly a testimate to whether it holds POI. I'm just saying, not necessarily agreeing with him.

Two groups fired on the same target isn't evident of a damn thing.

I wasn't saying your rifle isn't consistent, just telling the other guy that two groups doesn't show there is no POI shift.

Please show me where I talked about 2 groups in particular?

If you look at the evidence I just presented, you actually alluded to this rifle not being consistent.

You're clearly the one with inconsistencies, not this nice gentleman's rifle that you were attempting to bash.

For sure, the way they mount up is far superior to any others that I have seen (using bbl nut). MK1 was my favorite rail they have come out with. Bummer it was discontinued.

That is also a Geissele MK1 rail, which utilizes an oversized barrel nut with only a few thousandths of clearance to the rail. Having mounted it on there, I'd say it's rock solid secure... far more than the average rail mounting solution. You pay the price in weight, but I can't complain for use as a precision setup.

I wasn't saying your rifle isn't consistent, just telling the other guy that two groups doesn't show there is no POI shift. Don't believe Larues are the end all be all though, there are rifles that are as or more accurate and reliable for less money, plus Mark Larue is a dbag. I saw a guy with a OBR at a match recently and it was chokin on every stage. Double feeds, FTE, you name it. Their rifles and mounts for that matter are nothing special but the arfcom boys will never see that.

How much POI shift is caused by using the barrel nut mounted free float tube?

+1 sure seems like a shooter to me. Obviously you have to push it out and see what it will do. But that is a good start for sure. Hey flyboy, have you figured out what MV and SD you are getting? I am getting 2470 with a SD of 7 (10 rounds) out of my 14.5" tOBR with 168 TAP and group is pretty much what you have here. This rifle had the best out of the 3 Larue's we have out here and it didn't shoot any better than your rifle at a 100.

It's clear that you are not a fan of this rifle, don't see why you have to come into this thread and spoil the OP's happiness.

Those who croon on about monolithic upper/rail assemblies have obviously never worn out an upper.

Cheaper to swap out (and easier to find and/or stock) a worn/cracked upper with another (reusing the nut and rail) than buying another monolith.

Then again, most won't ever shoot out a single barrel let alone multiples.

... Their rifles and mounts for that matter are nothing special but the arfcom boys will never see that.

Could not have said it better myself. I had an OBR that would have the extractor shear off ever 200 rounds or so. I only fired FGMM ammo threw it. After a few cycles of this issue was corrected with a standard DPMS extractor. YA LT would replace it every time but honestly really. For a $3k rifle I don't think I needed to put up with this.

How much POI shift is caused by using the barrel nut mounted free float tube?

It all depends on the gun. Most guns that I've found had a extreme POI shift (more than .5moa) had a loose fit for the barrel extension/receiver. A nice tight fit and squared face help a lot but you can still experience some minor shifts. In a perfect world the receiver clamping around the barrel extension is best but few companies offer that.

Not at 100 and not with slow fire and not with zero or consistent bi-pod load. LR is a game of controlling variables. If you don't think when you add pressure to the end of a lever (longer the hand guard the more leverage) when you load a bipod into a barricade, wrap a sling for a non-standard, or even push into bi-pod loops on your mat effects accuracy more when that lever is attached to your bbl nut. Is it an issue with every rifle and every firing schedule? not always. But when you heat things up and add a load, it will open up a lot of gas guns. If you can mount directly to the upper, why wouldn't you? Again, I run geissele on everything (save mega, LMT, and Larue), they do are better than others. But if I could mount my Geissele directly to the receiver, I would. Do you think the bbl nut mount is a superior design?

In practice it hasn't mattered to me. My AR10 1000-yard zero is as consistent as my bolt gun. And I shoot pretty good scores with both.

My brother lives in Leander Texas one of buddies is a machinist at LaRue and I've had the pleasure of touring their factory. They actually produce works of art that look just like M4's and AR10's and sometime people shoot them too. It's my dream to own one and for the money I don't think you could buy a rifle of that type produced with as much care and quality as LaRue strives for.

For me if I can hit a zombie in the head at 200 yards I'm good...

Please show me where I talked about 2 groups in particular?

If you look at the evidence I just presented, you actually alluded to this rifle not being consistent.

You're clearly the one with inconsistencies, not this nice gentleman's rifle that you were attempting to bash.

I think they are just saying that you showed 2 targets that have 2 different groups in different locations. It really doesn't matter, because you didn't state (that I saw) if there was a scope adjustment made to change the POI. Again, sounds like it is shooting good for you, all the other little points have been beat to death.

Can I ask setup? Always interested in gas guns that people are having good success with.

It's an AR10 NM with a Kreiger barrel. I can consistently shoot 190-195 out of 200 @ 1000 yards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by BangBangBlatBlat
"It's an AR10 NM with a Kreiger barrel. I can consistently shoot 190-195 out of 200 @ 1000 yds"

With all due respect, would you reconsider this statement?
Gil Horsley

Originally Posted by BangBangBlatBlat
"It's an AR10 NM with a Kreiger barrel. I can consistently shoot 190-195 out of 200 @ 1000 yds"

With all due respect, would you reconsider this statement?
Gil Horsley

Why?

I am assuming you are using MOA NRA targets. That being the case, you would be one of the best 1000 yd AR shooters ever. The kind of scores you said that you consistently shoot are what the best bolt guns can do. No AR can consistently compete with a bolt gun at 1000 yds with an expert shooting both platforms.

I am assuming you are using MOA NRA targets. That being the case, you would be one of the best 1000 yd AR shooters ever. The kind of scores you said that you consistently shoot are what the best bolt guns can do. No AR can consistently compete with a bolt gun at 1000 yds with an expert shooting both platforms.

You're right. An AR can't compete at 1000 with a bolt gun, but it's no longer the mechanical combination of guns and bullets holding them back. Right now it just boils down to the sights; it's a lot harder to consistently be hot with a post sight.

...but you can come darned close.

interserv001.jpg

interserv002fix.jpg

interserv003fix.png

Yeah, after I posted I thought someone would call out the AMU. I was referring to the OP who said that he could consistently score 190-195 at 1000. Who knows, maybe he can......but I doubt it.

Yeah, after I posted I thought someone would call out the AMU. I was referring to the OP who said that he could consistently score 190-195 at 1000. Who knows, maybe he can......but I doubt it.

There's a novel idea!

Last edited: