• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

And shes complete

glocksonlock

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2014
Just finished my 700 VLS AICS build and paint. The optic is a classic Tasco scope and compared to the tascos of nowadays this thing is crystal clear. This rifle is a true shooter I am so impressed with this rifle my first bolt gun and definitely not my last.
IMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094.JPG

Last edited:
Who did the paint job?
Looks great. Range report comming soon, right? What type of range do you have access to, distance I mean?
Practice
Practice
Practice
And save up for a new scope.
Congrats buddy. Can't wait to hear more about it!!

I did the paint. She has seen the range (100yrd) wasn't even really fun just kept shooting through them same holes. I am trying to get to a long range range but they are all 2.5-3 hours away. My wife got me a trip to knob Creek for my birthday, the Aics will be coming on the ride. As far as the glass I am impressed with the quality and think I will be keeping it until I "need" something else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Is that a real Atlas or a EBay version? It seems to have a unusually glossy finish.

Did a little research on the glass I have on the AICS. It is a Japan made Tasco scope model TR416x40 AO from everything I gather they were made by Hakko (aka Night Force) and are Great Glass for the price.

Nice paint job! I will second the notion of saving up for a new optic. That older Tasco you have may be nice in terms of clarity in glass and construction, but as soon as you start making range outings to shoot past 100 yards you will NEED a different scope. The reason you will NEED one is that you do not have trackable turrets to adjust for your wind and elevation. It will get old fast shooting 100 yards all the time with an accurate rifle, when you get to a long range and want to connect to targets at lets say 400 yards you will be forced to either guess your elevation with a hold over the target, or go up however many clicks on your turret and then end up losing your initial zero. You have a nice rifle and she deserves a proper optic!

Other than the scope choice which will limit your long range enjoyment , nice looking rifle

Congrats

For what Midway USA had the Viper's on sale for the other day. (6.5-20x44 $299.99) I'd check em out and fast. I'm running only NF, Vortex, and a 3.5-15 Weaver Tactical. But I am in the middle of doing a T&E on Vortex/Lucid/NF SHV/Bushnell DMR, for a small publication, and I'll post on here what me and my shooting buds think.

Nice stick, I love the AICS, and Atlas, but it's like a Porsche with my K car's motor in it. It may be super clear, but remember, shooting LR it need's to track perfect, and return to zero (EVERYTIME)

Very nice paint job indeed. Is it a factory tube?

Last edited:
nice build but she is not complete, she is missing a muzzle break, how are you gonna annoy the other shooters at the range without a muzzle brake???
cheers.

nice build but she is not complete, she is missing a muzzle break, how are you gonna annoy the other shooters at the range without a muzzle brake???
cheers.

Nice....
And per everyone else I am actively seeking a high power optic. I think the vortex viper will best suite her

Ok.. She is not complete. I just ordered a Millet LRS and a 20moa rail and sent the bolt handle to a local smith for fitment of a tactical knob. Pics to come.

NOOOOOOO not the Millet LRS.. anything but that! Mine lasted exactly 52 rounds on top of a .308. This is when I was young and dumb and felt that cheap optics would get me there. I was quite wrong. Vortex Viper would have been a much better choice.

NOOOOOOO not the Millet LRS.. anything but that! Mine lasted exactly 52 rounds on top of a .308. This is when I was young and dumb and felt that cheap optics would get me there. I was quite wrong. Vortex Viper would have been a much better choice.
Well the good thing about that is that It has a no questions asked life time warranty I have had other millett scopes and they have been fine

And also 35mm with a 140 moa adjustments will help me try to push the 308 past it's normal out of gas zone.

Great looking rifle!

I agree that eventually you will want a scope with a reticle that will allow you to compensate for distance without cranking knobs.

That lifetime warranty took 6-7 months for 'repairs', when they actually just sent me another one. Also, I would definitely check the tracking on it. My windage was shit.

Edit: that was a couple if years ago. Maybe their CS has gotten better.

Last edited:
Just got my bolt back yesterday.. It is sweet a local smith makes and installs the tac knob it is smooth no lines or pinholes. Got the 20 moa rail and scope last week. I think she is done for now.

IMG_0162.JPGIMG_0163.JPGIMG_0164.JPG

Looks good. How do you do that paint job?
Base in black and used 3 different camo colors and a laundry bag to make the pattern. Laid the black base/primer then coat of the mid color, did the stripes with the darkest color then started back spraying with the net and light colors over the dark. I actually watched a couple YouTube videos on it and the best one was some kid doing his air soft rifle...:eek: