• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

And so it begins

Ol Rob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
Tifton, Ga.
Happy New Year 2014!

I hope his new year finds everyone well. While it is a new year, that is not the beginning of which I speak. I am starting a new .308 build. I have been down the road more than once. But this time it is a little different. I started out with a factory Rem 5R. I moved on to a nice GAP Hospitaller. I then went the full custom F-TR route. My competitive nature gets the best of me, so I want the best equipment I can imagine. I wan the limitations to be on me, in my shooting and loading skills, not my equipment. I have grown very fond of the Surgeon 591 action. I still have one that will never leave me in .223. Alas, the 591's are gone for now. So I am going with a Defiance Deviant for this rifle. I have worked on several of the Rebel based guns and must say they are as tight as any I have seen. I am sure the Deviant will not disappoint. I have been down the fence post, heavy barrel route. And I do believe the heavier barrels add to the precision of the rifle at long range. But I want this rifle to be more carry friendly. So M24 with flutes to lighten it up will be my choice. I loved the Gap, but it's 24" barrel gave up some speed. The F-TR at 30" was a missile, but the length added weight. So 26" will be the length of this one. I have shot the heavies, but plan to stay in the 155 - 175gr range now. But 1:10 twist is still there just in case. I have experimented with stocks, and find the McMillan A3 to be my favorite, with no adjustments. Again, the weight.
While I am not fool enough o say this will be the last rifle for me, I do hope I have run enough ammo through enough rigs to know what works best for me. I know one rifle can never be the best for everything. But I can do my best with one rifle. Maybe this one will be it. Pictures to follow as I get started.
Happy New Year/ rifle!!
Rob

Happy New Year 2014!

I hope his new year finds everyone well. While it is a new year, that is not the beginning of which I speak. I am starting a new .308 build. I have been down the road more than once. But this time it is a little different. I started out with a factory Rem 5R. I moved on to a nice GAP Hospitaller. I then went the full custom F-TR route. My competitive nature gets the best of me, so I want the best equipment I can imagine. I wan the limitations to be on me, in my shooting and loading skills, not my equipment. I have grown very fond of the Surgeon 591 action. I still have one that will never leave me in .223. Alas, the 591's are gone for now. So I am going with a Defiance Deviant for this rifle. I have worked on several of the Rebel based guns and must say they are as tight as any I have seen. I am sure the Deviant will not disappoint. I have been down the fence post, heavy barrel route. And I do believe the heavier barrels add to the precision of the rifle at long range. But I want this rifle to be more carry friendly. So M24 with flutes to lighten it up will be my choice. I loved the Gap, but it's 24" barrel gave up some speed. The F-TR at 30" was a missile, but the length added weight. So 26" will be the length of this one. I have shot the heavies, but plan to stay in the 155 - 175gr range now. But 1:10 twist is still there just in case. I have experimented with stocks, and find the McMillan A3 to be my favorite, with no adjustments. Again, the weight.
While I am not fool enough o say this will be the last rifle for me, I do hope I have run enough ammo through enough rigs to know what works best for me. I know one rifle can never be the best for everything. But I can do my best with one rifle. Maybe this one will be it. Pictures to follow as I get started.
Happy New Year/ rifle!!
Rob

Happy New Year Dude, hope the new build works out for you. I'm planning a new build my self. I have a custom 308 so I'm thinking this new one will be a 6.5mm. Any how, keep us posted on how things work out.

A humble beginning. photo 1.jpgphoto 2.JPG

I just finished a 6.5 x 47 on a DEFIANCE Deviant action...just going to drop it off to get cerakoted on Monday. They are great actions, doubt you will be disappointed.

Only disappointment is the WAIT time.

Well time for an update. I got the barreled action back from Diablo Rifle works/ Freedom Gun works. It looks fantastic. Bobby also installed a little bastard brake on the barrel. I had Whidden Gun works install their V-Block DBM mini chasis in the A-3. Top Notch as usual. I have to take it all apart and get the Cerakote on it today. I hope to break her in on Sunday. I cant wit to get the 5X40X56 MARCH setting on top. 75 days from start to finish. That is about as fast as it can happen with any amount of custom work done. defiance1.JPG

Last edited:
photo 4.JPGfirst target.JPG
I got it coated and made quick load to get a zero. It is actually 7 shots. Now for a good scrubbing and take to 1K tomorrow. I will have to do a load ladder to get it just right, but I am on the way.
Rob

Last edited: