• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angle cosine indicator question

FlyfishNM

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2014
Albuquerque
If I have an angle cosine indicator mounted level with my barrel (reads 1.0 when level) will dialing elevation in the scope throw off the indicator. Do I need to point the rifle at the target with my 100 yard zero to get an accurate reading on the indicator before dialing elevation? Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way.

When you get your 100 yard zero the rifle should be as level as possible to get your ballistic profile as close as possible.
Shoot several know distances as level as possible, then true your ballistic profile.
Then when you shoot high angle shots, use the angle indicator information to plug in your angle to your ballistic profile and then get your corrected elevation information.
Hope this helps

Think of this. If your shot is 1000 yards away and you dial up 30 MOA. What angle is the barrel now pointed up?

One MOA is one 60th of a degree. ( That is were " minute" of angle comes from) So 30 MOA is one half a degree.

The mark on your indicator that says .98 is for 9 degrees (or 540 MOA) and only indicates a range adjustment to 987 yds.

So don't worry about the cosine indicator changing with the scope adjustments, it does but not enough to read.

Do use the indicator to fix your shooting solutions. That 13 yds above is probably close to 1 MOA different and that's a 10 inch miss out there.

Reactions: stintedAIR