• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Angle Cosine Indicator VS. Angle Degree Indicator

Re: Angle Cosine Indicator VS. Angle Degree Indicator

im not sure which would be easier to use but my ballistic program asks for the angle in degrees and i cant change that...if i can i havent figured that out. i would say it would depend on your application and what you are comfortable dealing with...

Cosine, it already gives you what is needed when the battery dies.

For my money, the math is easier with the cosine indicated, because I don't have to do the conversion from degrees to the cosine.

I still use a calculator and my brain, though. I have had tech fail in the field and prefer my old school to the new fangled, blingy PDA's.

YMMV

I like the cosine. Simpler IMO. Range X .Cosine = Solution....

Or a Mildot Master that does the math for you at 1/10 the price

Reactions: Quintus

The ACI is much simpler to use than a Slope Doper, because you can read it while you are on the weapon not beside it, under it or having to get your spotter to do it for you.

That's just my experience. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavy Haulin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the cosine. Simpler IMO. Range X .Cosine = Solution.... </div></div>

Close.
Dope for range x cosine = corrected dope for angle shot

The knights software in the I-touch has a cosine setting that automatically corrects it (when mounted on rifle).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heavy Haulin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the cosine. Simpler IMO. Range X .Cosine = Solution.... </div></div>

Close.
Dope for range x cosine = corrected dope for angle shot </div></div>

You are exactly right. I aint exactly the greatest writer.....lol
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which is better or simpler to use?</div></div>

That depends entirely on how your system is set up, and where the transition points are between the different stations of information processing. This means, how (and even if) you have to enter slope information into whatever calculation or reference tables you have set up.

Right now for example, the technology exists (but is not commercially available) where you just have to point at any target, pre-pull the trigger to range, sniff crosswind & slope, and set optics, then do final aim and pull further to fire. However, that whole built-in sequence is normally broken down into any number of steps depending on what equipment and instruments you intend on using. So, the interface between each step is completely dependent on how you've designed your own procedure.

I prefer prepared reference cards, one for each 1000 ft of DA; each set of cards specific to each weapon, cartridge and degrees latitude N/S. On each individual little card you have range, slope angle, and windage numbers printed that correspond to printed range and windage turret click counts. You could prep them to either input slope angle or slope cosine, or whatever else floats your boat.

The prepared calculations between input range/slope/windage and output turret clicks could include all sorts of things that you feel is important. You could even add input data and calculations that includes the true compass bearing of your aim to proper compensate for Coriolis effect, or absolute elevation above sea level to adjust for 'g'= acceleration due to gravity if you want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...absolute elevation above sea level to adjust for 'g'= acceleration due to gravity if you want to.</div></div>

You could do that. However, someone will likely sneak up on you and kill you with a stick while you are doing that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...absolute elevation above sea level to adjust for 'g'= acceleration due to gravity if you want to.</div></div>

You could do that. However, someone will likely sneak up on you and kill you with a stick while you are doing that.
</div></div>
No. That´s just the point.

You can pick and choose and set up whatever system makes sense for however or whatever you´re shooting. That can include a way to simplify things down right to the point of doing snap point-blank aiming & shooting if required.

For example, a little Kestrel meter will give you calibrated station altitude above sea level that could be used as a base for ´g´ adjustment calculations in addition to giving DA. Then on the reference cards for example you could have an extra column or footnote indicating if an extra range click or two should be added for longer ranges at vastly higher elevations. It´s easy to ignore if you have to.

I was pulling your chain a little with my response.

If you were standing on top of Mount Everest, the reduction in the amount of gravity would be less than a third of one percent.

While it's relatively easy to calculate the approximate amount of that reduction if the point under examination is in free air, for shooting purposes except from an aircraft, we are not in free air, but standing on the ground. That means that for a precise calculation, we would have to take the gravitational effect of the local terrain density into consideration.

On the other hand, the air density at that altitude is less than 40 percent of the air density at sea level. In addition, the temperature on a standard day at that altitude is going to be about -46 degrees F. Most people have a very imprecise idea what the muzzle velocity of their round is going to be at such a temperature.

My point, then, is that other factors which you don't precisely know are going to overwhelm the magnitude of the effect of the reduction of gravity due to altitude, so when one starts talking about that, one is basically just engaging in mental masturbation.

And the effect of the reduction in gravity will be even less at lower altitude.

I don't much care how other people spend their time, but, personally, I'd rather actually masturbate than do it mentally.

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't much care how other people spend their time, but, personally, I'd rather actually masturbate than do it mentally.
</div></div>

Thanks, I was already having a crappy day until I read that
grin.gif

Blackwidow: OK - I assume that it will correctly calculate that shot, then.

Soberbiker: always glad to be of assistance...
laugh.gif