• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angle of Incidence

Vynz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2022
Alabama, United States
Hi,

I was watching a Sam and Mac After Work video where they were shooting “extreme” range with .22LR. In the video it looked as if the rounds were falling near vertically onto the target given the trajectory.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a ballistic calculator that would show the angle of incidence a projectile would impact a target at a given range?

ColdBore can give angle of fall along with max ordinate at elevation and distance at any distance from 0-4500 yards.
JBM and Lapua can give terminal angle at the calculated max range but neither show that value along the path.

As an example typical .22 LR standard velocity at sea level would be max range at 1670 yards with a terminal angle of 63.3 degrees.

Only places I've seen "angle of incidence" mentioned are in forensics in regards to ballistics.

Thanks guys! Some of these calculators out there are amazingly powerful in the information you can obtain from them.

You could also look at the Danger Space value. As that value decreases the bullet is arriving on target from a higher angle. Flatter trajectories will have larger Danger Space than slow high max ord trajectories.