• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angled/Canted Cheek Rest?

southy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2020
Hi everyone,

First post here. Looking forward to poking around the forum, soaking up what I can, and hopefully finding some way I can contribute!

I just purchased my first precision rifle setup, a Tikka T3x TAC A1, left handed, in 6.5 creedmoor.

My question: and big issues with having the cheek rest angled backward, like in the picture?

Some background:
This is the only position of the cheek rest that gets me a natural and relaxed view through the scope. When all the way up and flat, my head isn't quite high enough. But by tilting it backward, the front of the rest actually goes up a bit higher, and tilts my head into a comfortable position to be looking through the scope. Seems to be working for me so far.

I'm wondering if the tilt will cause issues with recoil management. I haven't noticed any so far, but I'm pretty new to this. Been shooting for hunting purposes for a few years, but that's about it.

And before anyone points it out, let me explain the ring mount... I wanted something with 20moa built in, and this vortex cantilever mount was the only (quality) mount that was in stock that offered this. Everything else was cheap or 0moa.

Thanks!

20200606_163333.jpg

It's probably fine as long as you can keep consistent head pressure. If you have issues, but a lower mount .

Reactions: southy
Here's the thing about shooting positions for individuals. Think of it like wine, which wine goes with chicken which wine goes with red meat? There's only one right answer and most people get it wrong... whatever you like / whatever works for you.

While in no way shape or form of that angle cheek piece work for me it very well may work for you. If you like it because it just comfortable and helps with consistency nobody can tell you any different. While there are some basic form fundamentals every persons biomechanics are different.

With a high recoiling rifle such as a 338 Lapua, your cheek would be sore after a few rounds with the cheek rest angled "backwards" like that. Practice with it. If it works for you, go with it until you can modify your system (if ever). JMHO

Congrats on the purchase. Nice looking rifle. I generally believe that whatever makes you comfortable, consistent, and fundamentally sound behind the rifle is what you should do. I have doubts that this position satisfies the last point. Ideally, before you get too far down the road with a bad position and build bad habits, you have someone who knows what they are doing observe you behind the rifle to ensure your body position supports the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Without the benefit of seeing you, here is where I'd put my money: You like that cheek piece position because it makes it easy for you to index your cheek weld to get proper eye relief. Unfortunately, I also think that it will not allow the rifle to recoil straight back, which will screw up your recoil management, induce more cant in the rifle, and possibly affect your point of impact. As the rifle recoils, the ramp that you have made will slide backwards and twist the rifle counter-clockwise (since you are a lefty).

Instead, I would have someone observe you (or you could film yourself) get behind the rifle in whatever position you will shoot most and see where the cheek piece needs to be for your eye to be level with the center of the scope (use max power on the scope). This would also be a good time to ensure that your scope doesn't need to be moved forward or backward. When you get into position, try to put the butt of the rifle as close to your neck as comfortably possible. A lot of people like to slightly rotate the butt pad outboard to facilitate this. Then practice getting behind the rifle and positioning your head to eliminate scope shadow (still using max power). Also, I've seen some folks put a tiny piece of adhesive moleskin on the cheek piece to index off of. After enough reps, your body should get used to putting your head where it needs to be, and it will feel natural.

Frank has some excellent videos in the online traning section. If you only sign up for a month so you can watch videos about these specific topics, I think it would be the best $15 you will spend all month.

Congrats on the purchase. Nice looking rifle. I generally believe that whatever makes you comfortable, consistent, and fundamentally sound behind the rifle is what you should do. I have doubts that this position satisfies the last point. Ideally, before you get too far down the road with a bad position and build bad habits, you have someone who knows what they are doing observe you behind the rifle to ensure your body position supports the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Without the benefit of seeing you, here is where I'd put my money: You like that cheek piece position because it makes it easy for you to index your cheek weld to get proper eye relief. Unfortunately, I also think that it will not allow the rifle to recoil straight back, which will screw up your recoil management, induce more cant in the rifle, and possibly affect your point of impact. As the rifle recoils, the ramp that you have made will slide backwards and twist the rifle counter-clockwise (since you are a lefty).

Instead, I would have someone observe you (or you could film yourself) get behind the rifle in whatever position you will shoot most and see where the cheek piece needs to be for your eye to be level with the center of the scope (use max power on the scope). This would also be a good time to ensure that your scope doesn't need to be moved forward or backward. When you get into position, try to put the butt of the rifle as close to your neck as comfortably possible. A lot of people like to slightly rotate the butt pad outboard to facilitate this. Then practice getting behind the rifle and positioning your head to eliminate scope shadow (still using max power). Also, I've seen some folks put a tiny piece of adhesive moleskin on the cheek piece to index off of. After enough reps, your body should get used to putting your head where it needs to be, and it will feel natural.

Frank has some excellent videos in the online traning section. If you only sign up for a month so you can watch videos about these specific topics, I think it would be the best $15 you will spend all month.

Appreciate the thoughtful reply. I'm defintely trying all sorts of things. Basically, when the rest is perfectly level and all the way up, it's about 1/8" too low. I can see through the scope, but with a bit of shadow. Will certainly be investing in some training as soon as I'm able, will have to check out the training section here!

Reactions: MCHOG
Appreciate the thoughtful reply. I'm defintely trying all sorts of things. Basically, when the rest is perfectly level and all the way up, it's about 1/8" too low. I can see through the scope, but with a bit of shadow. Will certainly be investing in some training as soon as I'm able, will have to check out the training section here!

A couple other thoughts re body mechanics:

If you have been adjusting this for prone shooting, see if it's different from a standing or kneeling position (use a ladder or something around the house for a rest). If that allows the cheek riser to fit you within its adjustment range, then that means you are probably too low when you are in the prone position and have your head tilted somewhat downward (lowering where your eyes are in relation to everything else). That can be fixed by raising your bipod legs, getting your chest off the ground a little, and putting some weight on your elbows. That will put your head in a more upright position.

It's also possible to change where your rifle touches your cheek. Usually folks that have stocks, rather than chassis, will have almost a "jaw weld" to get proper eye relief.

Another option is to get shorter rings for your scope if your objective housing has enough clearance for that.

Good luck.

A couple other thoughts re body mechanics:

If you have been adjusting this for prone shooting, see if it's different from a standing or kneeling position (use a ladder or something around the house for a rest). If that allows the cheek riser to fit you within its adjustment range, then that means you are probably too low when you are in the prone position and have your head tilted somewhat downward (lowering where your eyes are in relation to everything else). That can be fixed by raising your bipod legs, getting your chest off the ground a little, and putting some weight on your elbows. That will put your head in a more upright position.

It's also possible to change where your rifle touches your cheek. Usually folks that have stocks, rather than chassis, will have almost a "jaw weld" to get proper eye relief.

Another option is to get shorter rings for your scope if your objective housing has enough clearance for that.

Good luck.

I've noticed the same from all positions - I may adpot a "jaw weld" if it comes down to it! Shorter rings are definitely an option, although I'll be missing out on the 20moa of built in adjustment to get them. Not in a hurry - half the fun of any hobby is tinkering. So far I can say I'm comfortable and the combination of the gun and me are shooting darn close to 0.5moa with factory ammo, so I'm happy so far. But I definitely notice I need to work on my recoil control for better follow up shots. Some training is likely the best next step for me.

Reactions: MCHOG
Burris makes rings with cant built into the inserts.
You could go as high as 40moa and still get your scope a bit lower.

Also, have you adjusted your LOP? It seems as if having the tilt makes your eye line up with the optic, that you are too far forward. If so, try lengthening your stock and reassess your cheek height. You might have to remount your scope for proper eye relief.

The way you have your cheek piece, you're asking for issues.
Just my opinion and observation. Worth exactly what you paid for it.

Reactions: spife7980