• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Angled Shooting and atmospherics

NevadaZielmeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2013
Northern Nevada
Gentlemen,

I have a question regarding angle shooting and how atmospherics affect the bullet flight path. I hope it is not is not a stupid question.

Now I understand that the cosine of my angle up or down will decrease the effective range the bullet as affected by gravity. However, I understand that the travel of the bullet would still be affected by the atmospherics at the actual distance between the shooter and target and NOT the cosine adjusted range.

Is this correct?

To better explain: I am shooting at a target that is 20 degrees down angle from my position and my laser range finder reads 500 meters. This would give me a 93.9% (let us say 94%) adjusted range of 470 meters. So my elevation solution would be controlled by the 470 meters. However, my windage solution for 5mph and even 10 mph holds would be governed by 500 meters. So if I suspect that if I have a 5 mph full value wind, I would use my wind calculation on 5 mph at 500 meters and not 470 meters. Right?

Any input would be helpful. Angled shooting is new to me and I have limited experience. Does anyone also have a way to work this out on a Kestrel with Applied Ballistics? Is there a way to tell the Kestrel you are angle shooting? Does the Kestrel account for this?

In these cases, it's really a small change you are talking about, and most of that is absorbed by the target size.

30 yards of wind difference isn't really gonna do anything

In these cases, it's really a small change you are talking about, and most of that is absorbed by the target size.

30 yards of wind difference isn't really gonna do anything

And when you explain it that way, it makes complete sense. I believe that this should go into the Stupid Marksmanship Forum then, don't you think?

Thank you for the assistance. Lovin' the Hide.

Or as another answer, you are thinking about this correctly. What you're saying will apply to longer, steeper, problems.

Thats how I do it.
Elevation is set for the angle corrected distance, windage is set for the line of sight distance. The flight time in the wind will still be the same as your line of sight distance.