• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angled spotting scope vs straight

DragNshoot

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Va.
I am in the market for a good quality spotting scope and was curious as to which style is most useful. If I could get some opinions from guys that use them frequently and have used both styles that would be great.
Thanks in advance

Re: Angled spotting scope vs straight

I think angled are more convienent. Extended eye relief helps also. $0.02

Thanks Doorkicker I'll look around in that thread

I got an angled Nikon thinking it would make life easier, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get a straight one.

if you hunt or spot....go straight
if you do highpower and spot for yourself....savvy the angled

Angled is best all around for me. If you get one that the body rotates within the mount as well, it can be used as low to the ground as you need.
Think outside the box.

I find angled very difficult to use for quick target IDs. Its much easier to look forward for a target than down at an angle.

HP shooters use the angle at an angle so they can roll over and read mirage, and find the spotter marker.

I found the angled scope doesnt lower the spotter's head much and often the scope's line of sight is fouled by vegetation because it is lower.

Most guys who use a spotter scope alot and have to traverse from target to target or area to area eventually get a straight scope.

As Pat Robertson says- Straight is great.

Thanks Guys I really appreciate the insight

you could always check out an over under type spotter....