• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angled VS Straight Spotting scope?...

Wags

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2019
I'm just getting my feet wet into shooting longer ranges and was looking at spotting scopes. What are your guys' thoughts on angled eye piece VS straight eye piece for hunting and rang use? What are the Pro's VS Con's of the 2?

Thanks for the input.

Angled feels great for many positions. Straight shines in two areas, spotting from a window mount, especially when it is ultra cold and when you first learn how to use a spotter and line up visually like over your scope.

I stay with angled because I can block a lot of ambient light with my head or hat.

5CD9FCB3-65E1-4E31-B261-0E9D1B03A240.jpeg

8414CD35-A9EF-4F08-A27A-8432EF7BE158.jpeg

these are all co-witnessed.

Another vote for angled, much easier on the neck and shoulders.

Angled. I started on a cheap angled, went to a cheap straight. Bought my Kowa in angled. For competitive use while shooting spotting shots and score keeping I find it more comfortable. I'm sure someone will say straight has a tactical advantage. I've never used a spotting scope with a reticle so I can't help if that is going to come up.

angled...especially for looking out truck window or on windy days...with angled you can look much further left and right by rotating the body and eye piece...too look left out a driver side truck window with straight you would have to be up over the steering wheel....with angled you can lower the scope and get less vibration from tripod, epecially on windy days...you just need to learn to point the scope to acquire your target...it does not take long to learn this skill...

Angled feels great for many positions. Straight shines in two areas, spotting from a window mount, especially when it is ultra cold and when you first learn how to use a spotter and line up visually like over your scope.

I stay with angled because I can block a lot of ambient light with my head or hat.

View attachment 7355944
View attachment 7355947
Just your basic cheap starter kit.

S
angled...especially for looking out truck window or on windy days...with angled you can look much further left and right by rotating the body and eye piece...too look left out a driver side truck window with straight you would have to be up over the steering wheel....with angled you can lower the scope and get less vibration from tripod, epecially on windy days...you just need to learn to point the scope to acquire your target...it does not take long to learn this skill...
Valid points, but if you’re using a straight scope, sliding the scope back or forward will also solve the problem.

Robust tall tripods like RRS or the one I posted work equally with straight or angled.

Again, I am an angled fan. But it is also worth noting Binos and Window mounts are usually a better solution than a spotter for a number of reasons and these work very similar to a straight spotter.

Straight vote here. Being able to naturally look over my spotter and quickly matching the spotter view is fast for me. I'm sure it's a training issue but it's just like my rifle scopes which works for me.

I went from an athlon angled to a leupold straight. I found finding targets and scanning difficult looking at an off angle.

Laying to tall grass looking down into and angled means it is closer to the ground in the grass. Using. straight one means it is higher off the ground even with your head. Less comfortable but not in the grass, and not a weird search angle.

I have a straight 15-45 and an angled 27-60. They both have reticles, live on pack tripods, the straight is for skulking, angled is for watching.

I prefer the straight eyepiece personally, it's so much easier to line up quickly if you're moving about a bit.
That being said, the straight spotter when set up is directly in your face all the time, where an angled will be lower so when you look up you can still easily glass over the top with binos while sitting down.

Both are good, both are better at certain things.
Straight may take up less pack room.
Angled may be more comfortable while sitting down.

Not very helpful :D

Reactions: 6gunner and Wags
If you're using it to glass for game or spot targets in a dynamic environment, go with a straight. For straight up spotting from a constant position at a constant target, angled. Angled is far more comfortable using over long periods of time. Straight does much better for dynamic engagements.

I actually prefer straight when using from a bench.

Reactions: 6gunner
I still cant imagine how angled is more comfortable. I wouldn't want to look down at my shoelace for long periods of time, I'd rather keep my fat melon up and balanced.

Reactions: gafferq2xl
I still cant imagine how angled is more comfortable. I wouldn't want to look down at my shoelace for long periods of time, I'd rather keep my fat melon up and balanced.

How do you read a paperwork or hold your phone? If you said in your hand, on a desk, table, etc. looking down you just answered your question.

Reactions: r.ellison2010
How do you read a paperwork or hold your phone? If you said in your hand, on a desk, table, etc. looking down you just answered your question.
Leaning back in a chair with my arms kinda crossed and head up. Reading a book or doing studies I'll usually support my head with an arm. When I do look at a phone its never more than a quick text looking down and than head back up. My head is fat though, do you not feel any discomfort looking down for long periods of time?

I went from straight to angled and wouldn't go back. It takes some time to get used to the change, but I find angled much more convenient now for hunting and shooting at the range.

on the range, I prefer straight. Hunting if I am glassing up ( mountains) angled. If glassing down or flat, straight.

So much of it is personal and specific to use. Here are my two bits.

I am 6'2" and using a straight spotter requires a massive tripod for stability if it is a heavy spotter because it has to be much higher than typical trioods to meet my eyes. My binos are straight of course, but weigh a little less. An angled spotter can be lower, so if you are tall or have lots of wind, you know what I am saying.

Spotting for animals, sitting, angled is more comfortable. Standing too most of the time. You can spot for hours and hours without getting out of the glass. There, you basically get it pointed and then just move it back and forth gridding so its about comfort. It is also easier to move around body position and angles and still see fine. Straight seems to be a little less forgiving there. It also depends if you are looking down or up. Looking up at a steep angle favors angled. Looking down at a steep angle favors straight. I like my Kowa angled for hunting.

Spotting at a range where you are on and off it is easier to use a straight and move from target to target when you don't want to be figiting around with getting it on target. You aren't on it as long and usually standing. When standing, looking down through and angled, is more tiring. I liked my MK4 for spotting ranges. It is so much easier to pop in and out of the spotter to watch.

If you are using phone skope a lot, I find the angled easier to view standing or sitting.

The angled can be set up to look through while you are prone much easier.

Hope this gives you an idea why I prefer one over the other.

Evening gang,

What I'm getting from all these conflicting opinions is that body types, experience, what you're used to all are dependent on the individual. I've been following this thread closely as a spotter is my near future. So this is my plan right now: drop down a tier or two from what I was planning and buy both of the same make/model (angled and straight) to figure out what I like for angled or straight. Then maybe sell one or both to move back up to better glass with the preferred angle/straight.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Lotta good advice here. If you got any neck issues angled could be alot easier .

Evening gang,

What I'm getting from all these conflicting opinions is that body types, experience, what you're used to all are dependent on the individual. I've been following this thread closely as a spotter is my near future. So this is my plan right now: drop down a tier or two from what I was planning and buy both of the same make/model (angled and straight) to figure out what I like for angled or straight. Then maybe sell one or both to move back up to better glass with the preferred angle/straight.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron
There's a third option. Go shoot a match and look through setups. Or you can volunteer to be a RO and look down at an angled set up all day to see if you enjoy crippling neck pain;). You'll save money this way and you can get experience on both setups while getting to test drive what you want. You'll lose money if you want to buy a step-down and sell at a loss, plus dealing with selling can be a headache. But do what works best for your lifestyle.

Reactions: gafferq2xl
I guess it comes down too which way u like to bend your neck! We got people in pain both ways hahaha!

Reactions: Geno C.
He
Evening gang,

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron
Just something to consider; Straight tend to have a lower resale unless it is a Hensoldt Spotter 60, MK4 or other tactical style spotter.

Having owned the above, I’d say that with today’s ZCO’s, S&Bs, Minox, Atacar 7-35s and others have really stepped up the game and made using a spotter for many styles of rifle matches less needed. Binos have all but replaced spotters for PRS/NRL and feild matches. Even in bench style shooting Electronic targets are replacing spotters. Yet, spotters, still play a big roll in Western Hunting.

The point I’m trying to make is, be sure you look at what your buying a spotter for, as well as how you’ll be positioned.

jt

I thought more would have been mentioned but I’ll re-emphasize looking into whether or not you want a reticle also. It’s very useful for getting and giving dope feedback.

Since most of my shooting is prone for F-class I have switched to angled. I can mount the scope and have the eyepiece lined up with my left eye when in position. I only need to glance left to check mirage or score without having to move or break position.

As for always "looking down" to view, that's not true. The scope body rotates so the eyepiece can be placed horizontal, but it will be pointing slightly at an angle. If you're mostly bench or standing, the straight body may be better.
ZxM161el.jpg

WSFSqxKl.jpg

Since most of my shooting is prone for F-class I have switched to angled. I can mount the scope and have the eyepiece lined up with my left eye when in position. I only need to glance left to check mirage or score without having to move or break position.

As for always "looking down" to view, that's not true. The scope body rotates so the eyepiece can be placed horizontal, but it will be pointing slightly at an angle.
ZxM161el.jpg

WSFSqxKl.jpg
A great application for angled.

Lots of good info in here. I noticed at a match a few weeks ago it seemed everyone had straight but the angled seems more ergonomic to me

Reactions: acudaowner
my votes for angled, very easy to set up and see while still in position, tsn821 with 27 ler lense I used it close and angled so scope could be down and a little further away from me for long range prone shooting with a sling. Would leave rifle shouldered and use other eye to glance down through the spotting scope and watch the bullet trace, have the gun loaded check wind, by time target was back up verified call/trace and fired shot. 22 round match in less than 7 minutes with good pits. helped me avoid chasing wind calls by keeping same conditions. straight scope means its got to be a lot closer to work the same postion

Reactions: smoothy8500
this is almost exactly what I was talking about except I was shooting highpower rifle service class, no glass and no bipod

As for always "looking down" to view, that's not true. The scope body rotates so the eyepiece can be placed horizontal, but it will be pointing slightly at an angle. If you're mostly bench or standing, the straight body may be better.
ZxM161el.jpg

WSFSqxKl.jpg

View attachment 7355944
View attachment 7355947

parts list/sources?