• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anneal Cases?

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
How many of you anneal cases? How often do you anneal?

I anneal my Brass after each firing prior to sizing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After each firing for consistancy. Some anneal every 3-4 firings which is fine for extending brass life if that is all you want. But for consistant neck tension & consistant release, at least for LR work, after every firing IMO is the way to go. On the other hand, if you're just banging steel at 2-300 yds, it's not so importent. Just my 2 cents....

I was doing every three, but I changed my process. Now, rather than treating each 50 or 100 box as its own lot. I got 300, loaded them all, shot them all, then process them all. So my plan is to anneal every time now. 300 is for my creedmoor. I use way more 223 brass than that. But the same process. Just I am setting up to have about 2k pieces of brass in rotation for 223. Right now I have about 10-100 boxes all being used like individual lots. Should cut way down on the book keeping.

Bryan Litz had some interesting findings of case annealing using an AMP induction annealer in his book "Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting", pg 144-153. Using both .223 and .308 Lapua brass he ran one 10rd group with no annealing, one 10rd group annealed on the 5th firing, and one 10rd group annealed after every firing. Basically, his findings indicated there was no real difference in SDs with annealing. (Never annealed 7.4SD, once annealed 7.5 SD, every time, 6.9SD) He does state that he wants to expand his test in the next volume as he does believe its beneficial in some cartridge combinations. I would be interested if any members have done their own test to determine if their load had any benefit from annealing.