• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealeez Upgrade

G

Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
31 posts this site
Annealeez Upgrade
03/09/2016 Last edited 07/21/2016 by Ironman308
(1 vote)

I have been a lurker here for quite a while. Recently I needed to start annealing my 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I researched the different annealers and decided on the Annealeez. I wanted to upgraded my Annealeez so I thought this would be a good time to give back a little something to the forum.

I added a regulator (Goss 328-EP-70G Regulator), the pluming (fittings purchased at local welding shop and custom hose made), an adjustable arm (ATian 7 Inch Articulating Magic Friction Arm for Hot Shoe Mounts to Work with LED Panel, DSLR Monitor, Mic 7ARM) for the torch head and a 10 turn potentiometer (Beautyforall 10K Ohm With 10 Turns Counting Dial Rotary Potentiometer Pot). I also made a sheet metal base so I could attach the propane tank to the unit using PVC pipe to hold the tank. Then I added some feet to the sheet metal base to finish off the project.

Annealer_zpszg5pp9av.jpg

After experimenting with Tempilaq (750 degree) I have come up with a 5.44 second burn at 35 psi for the 308 casing. I still need to work up timing and pressure for the 6.5.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
spawnof918vXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 2.6/5 this site
3755 posts this site
Re: Annealeez Upgrade
03/09/2016

How much did all of this cost?

Rate now:
Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
31 posts this site
03/09/2016

spawnof918v wrote:
How much did all of this cost?​
Potenciometer $11

Regulator $69

Pluming for Regulator $30

Arm for Torch $11

Annealezz $275

I had the rest of the stuff I needed in the shop so total was around $400.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
ronbarron82XSergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
147 posts this site
03/09/2016

Tag for an awesome idea.
Rate now:
Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
31 posts this site
03/09/2016

ronbarron82 wrote: Tag for an awesome idea.​
Thank you Ron,

Most of these upgrades were found from researching the internet on annealer upgrades. I came up with larger plumbing for the propane tank the sheet metal base, which I made out of a stainless steel shelf from an old BBQ, and a way to hold the propane tank, the rest were the ideas of other folks. It was a fun project for those of you that like to tinker with stuff.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
30CalCowXSergeant
479 posts this site
03/09/2016 Last edited 03/09/2016 by 30CalCow

Thanks for the contribution. I found the arm on Amazon but I'm unclear if the arm has that silver piece holding the torch? Did you also drill a hole lower on the case to attach it or use the current hole to hold the torch. Any way you could take some more close up detailed pictures to give better illustration? Thanks!

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3050 posts this site
03/09/2016

What is the grey piece hooked to the ATian 7 Inch Articulating Magic Friction Arm that holds the actual torch? I dont see that coming with the ATian 7 Inch Articulating Magic Friction Arm at least from Amazon.... Thanks

Rate now:
LRShooter101XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
612 posts this site
03/09/2016

Tag!

Rate now:
Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
31 posts this site
03/09/2016 Last edited 03/09/2016 by Ironman308

30CalCow wrote:
Thanks for the contribution. I found the arm on Amazon but I'm unclear if the arm has that silver piece holding the torch? Did you also drill a hole lower on the case to attach it or use the current hole to hold the torch. Any way you could take some more close up detailed pictures to give better illustration? Thanks!​
Sorry I forgot about that piece. I was going to use a piece of square aluminum (7/8" x 1"x 1-5/8" but you could make it larger if you wanted more fudge factor) and ended up finding this which was a part for my old boat. I measured it and here are the specifications. The large hole that holds the torch pipe is 1/2" the two small holes that hold the block onto the arm and hold the torch pipe in the block are 1/4" x 1.25 which is the same as the arm uses. The knob that holds the torch pipe was found in my shop but I think you could go to a good hardware store and find one with the plastic knob or just use a bolt. The distance from the centerline of the 1/2" hole (and 1/4" hole that holds the torch pipe} to the 1/4" hole that mounts to the arm is 3/4". The only other thing that I did was to cut a 45ACP case to slide between the 1/2" hole in the block and the torch pipe. This keeps the mounting bolt from scratching the torch pipe and makes the fit better. You need the 1/2" hole so the torch pipe bend will slip through the block and allow you to place the block against the torch valve. It is also important that you drill the hole through the 7/8" portion of the block due to the torch pipe bend. Here are some better pictures and if you have any other questions please let me know.

FullSizeRender_zpszkcblm3e.jpg

FullSizeRender-1_zpso852dtro.jpg

FullSizeRender-2_zpst6jc7k4m.jpg

FullSizeRender-3_zpsvegitq3t.jpg

I forgot to mention that you could use the brass ground wire holder that comes with the unit if you don't want to mess with this.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
colt933XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
1014 posts this site
03/10/2016

You can re-use the ground lug that comes with the annealer to attach the torch to the articulated arm. You will have to drill and tap a hold to mount it. I screwed mine up, so had to buy another from Home Depot for about $2.

Rate now:
30CalCowXSergeant
479 posts this site
03/13/2016

Quick trip to Tractor Supply found this gem for like 3 or 4 bucks. Works well with that arm mod (hats off to you OP for the thread) and the adjustment now to the torch couldn't be any easier. I did change the two bolts and did have to shim it (two halfs of a 300wm case).

Rate now:
Ironman308

XPrivate
31 posts this site
07/21/2016 Last edited 07/21/2016 by Ironman308

NT
Rate now:
winniedonkeyXSergeant
195 posts this site
07/22/2016

Tag. Am about to pick one of these up. Cool upgrades

Rate now:
Patrick12340XCorporal
91 posts this site
08/24/2016

Hello All...Need yalls help. I figured this thread woud be a good place to ask for it. I wanted to make a setup similar to the OPs, But theres a problem. I purchased everything set it up and no propane came out of the torch tip. I have narrowed the problem down to the fitting that goes into the torch tip (link below).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQN4IS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is the little valve inside the Bernzomatic tip is not being depressed by the fitting...not allowing the propane to flow. Is there a different fitting I need or a different torch head? I have a Worthington fitting which works but it does not have the torch tip. Any ideas?

Rate now:
ArmyJerryXFirst Sergeant
3732 posts this site
08/26/2016

tagging in

Rate now:
SPAK7XFirst Sergeant
1777 posts this site
09/09/2016

Tag

Rate now:
JRHill85XSergeant
313 posts this site
12/20/2016

Question guys:

Can I run this off my 20lb propane tank I have for my grill? Will I have to buy different fittings? Just ordered one of these and was really just wanting to drag my tank to my garage and go at it.

padom
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/media.scout.com\/media\/avatars\/0\/3\/padom.jpg"}[/IMG2]
XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
12/20/2016 Last edited 12/20/2016 by padom
yes you can if you get a standard 1# bottle to 20# tank conversion Coleman hose but I don't recommend running it straight like that. Get the Goss regulator like shown above but switch out the 0-60PSI gauge for a 0-15 PSI gauge. Will allow a much finer and precise adjustment. I now can run both 1# and 20# bottles on my setup simply by unscrewing the coleman conversion hose. Also made some other upgrades. I love this thing now. Runs great!! Now I have a log for each type of brass I anneal. Only had to use Tempilaq 1 time for each type of case and record the speed controller number and PSI number. Now every time I want to anneal say 5.56 LC brass I just set the Digital PWM to my recorded speed and the regulator to the recorded PSI. Quick and easy. Without the regulator I was getting uneven torch temps. Sometimes way hotter than others or not hot enough. Regulator keeps it consistent.

Upgrades

Swirl Torch
7 Position Articulating arm
New QD Torch Clamp
Digital Display Stepless PWM Speed Controller
Goss Regulator with new 15 psi gauge
Coleman 5' High Pressure Propane Hose & Adapter Kit
Various brass fittings
PTFE Pipe Thread Tape
Pipe Thread Sealant with PTFE (I put the sealant on the female threads and the PTFE tape on the male threads and screwed fittings together. Made for a leak free seal)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/WNIBuok.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Ic8hiNh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/RVqYi75.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Azx6Zu1.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Rate now:
JRHill85XSergeant
313 posts this site
12/20/2016
I saw that. I'll probably just order the regulator/guage to make sure my flow is consistent.

Just curious, why wouldn't you recommend that though?

Rate now:
padom
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/media.scout.com\/media\/avatars\/0\/3\/padom.jpg"}[/IMG2]
XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
12/20/2016
As stated above I did run a straight hose even with 1# bottles I was getting fluctuating flames. For example, without the regulator I would set the torch and wheel speed using Templaq for say 5.56 LC brass. After anywhere from 20-100 pieces of brass the torch and speed would be off, either too much time in the flame or not enough. That is because without a regulator a constant and consistent flow of gas was not being supplied to the torch. Pissed me off till I made the upgrade, now this thing is amazing!

Rate now:
JRHill85XSergeant
313 posts this site
12/21/2016
I went ahead and ordered the Goss regulator, and since it'll be a bit until the Annealeez ships I have some time to get everything else in place. Did it cross your mind to run the regulator directly off the propane tank and use the current tubing/fittings that come standard?

Rate now:
padom
XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
12/21/2016
I wanted the ability to run both 1# and 20# bottles so no I didnt want to run the regulator straight off the 20# tank. Also, you will still need to change fittings. The fitting on the "OUT" side of the regulator will not connect to the fittings that come with your Annealeez. At the very least you will need a "1/4 Male Pipe Thread x 1"-20 Male Throwaway Cylinder Thread Fitting" on the "Out" side of the Goss regulator to connect the bottle hose that comes with your Annealeez if you plan to connect your regulator straight into the tank.

Another reason I didnt put the regulator straight into the tank is because I wanted the regulator right next to my Annealeez for quick and easy tuning of the gas system while watching tempilaq painting cases. Didnt want to have to be down on the floor bent over trying to look at the regulator pressure gauge when the Annealeez is up on the bench with a case spinning in the flame....

Rate now:
padom
XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
12/21/2016
Also make sure you get the 0-15 PSI gauge. You will be working at low PSI in the 3-12 psi range. The gauge that comes with your Goss does not allow such fine adjustments at that low PSI range. I got the WIKA 4252919 Commercial Pressure Gauge

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rate now:
JRHill85XSergeant
313 posts this site
12/21/2016
Well...that makes sense. I'll try the more direct route first and see how I like it. I do plan on picking up the swirl torch because I can see how that will be pretty beneficial. I'm really trying to keep this economical, as I honestly didn't want to spend the money on the Annealeez to begin with. In my weeks and days of staring at the computer screen I accidentally filled in my shipping info and credit card info and clicked the checkout button ?

Rate now:
M274A3
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/media.scout.com\/media\/avatars\/6\/2\/M274A3.jpg"}[/IMG2]
XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
691 posts this site
12/27/2016
Thanks for sharing! I was thinking about getting one of these. Nice to see what was done to improve performance.

Rate now:

317millhand
317millhand.jpg

X68 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
2525 posts this site
12/29/2016

I love to see people improve things, but in this case I would advise to spend the extra money and go with giraud if you are starting fresh. Both units work, but the giraud is much better built and takes less tinkering to keep it running. I do love the pressure gauge idea for either unit. I sold my annealeze and got the giraud. Great choice for me.

Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
31 posts this site
Annealeez Upgrade
03/09/2016 Last edited 07/21/2016 by Ironman308
(1 vote)

I have been a lurker here for quite a while. Recently I needed to start annealing my 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I researched the different annealers and decided on the Annealeez. I wanted to upgraded my Annealeez so I thought this would be a good time to give back a little something to the forum.

I added a regulator (Goss 328-EP-70G Regulator), the pluming (fittings purchased at local welding shop and custom hose made), an adjustable arm (ATian 7 Inch Articulating Magic Friction Arm for Hot Shoe Mounts to Work with LED Panel, DSLR Monitor, Mic 7ARM) for the torch head and a 10 turn potentiometer (Beautyforall 10K Ohm With 10 Turns Counting Dial Rotary Potentiometer Pot). I also made a sheet metal base so I could attach the propane tank to the unit using PVC pipe to hold the tank. Then I added some feet to the sheet metal base to finish off the project.

Annealer_zpszg5pp9av.jpg

After experimenting with Tempilaq (750 degree) I have come up with a 5.44 second burn at 35 psi for the 308 casing. I still need to work up timing and pressure for the 6.5.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
spawnof918vXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 2.6/5 this site
3755 posts this site
03/09/2016

How much did all of this cost?

Rate now:
Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
31 posts this site
03/09/2016

spawnof918v wrote:
How much did all of this cost?​
Potenciometer $11

Regulator $69

Pluming for Regulator $30

Arm for Torch $11

Annealezz $275

I had the rest of the stuff I needed in the shop so total was around $400.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
ronbarron82XSergeant
147 posts this site
03/09/2016

Tag for an awesome idea.
Rate now:
Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
31 posts this site
03/09/2016

ronbarron82 wrote: Tag for an awesome idea.​
Thank you Ron,

Most of these upgrades were found from researching the internet on annealer upgrades. I came up with larger plumbing for the propane tank the sheet metal base, which I made out of a stainless steel shelf from an old BBQ, and a way to hold the propane tank, the rest were the ideas of other folks. It was a fun project for those of you that like to tinker with stuff.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
30CalCowXSergeant
479 posts this site
03/09/2016 Last edited 03/09/2016 by 30CalCow

Thanks for the contribution. I found the arm on Amazon but I'm unclear if the arm has that silver piece holding the torch? Did you also drill a hole lower on the case to attach it or use the current hole to hold the torch. Any way you could take some more close up detailed pictures to give better illustration? Thanks!

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3050 posts this site
03/09/2016

What is the grey piece hooked to the ATian 7 Inch Articulating Magic Friction Arm that holds the actual torch? I dont see that coming with the ATian 7 Inch Articulating Magic Friction Arm at least from Amazon.... Thanks

Rate now:
LRShooter101XGunny Sergeant
612 posts this site
03/09/2016

Tag!

Rate now:
Ironman308
Ironman308.jpg

XPrivate
31 posts this site
03/09/2016 Last edited 03/09/2016 by Ironman308

30CalCow wrote:
Thanks for the contribution. I found the arm on Amazon but I'm unclear if the arm has that silver piece holding the torch? Did you also drill a hole lower on the case to attach it or use the current hole to hold the torch. Any way you could take some more close up detailed pictures to give better illustration? Thanks!​
Sorry I forgot about that piece. I was going to use a piece of square aluminum (7/8" x 1"x 1-5/8" but you could make it larger if you wanted more fudge factor) and ended up finding this which was a part for my old boat. I measured it and here are the specifications. The large hole that holds the torch pipe is 1/2" the two small holes that hold the block onto the arm and hold the torch pipe in the block are 1/4" x 1.25 which is the same as the arm uses. The knob that holds the torch pipe was found in my shop but I think you could go to a good hardware store and find one with the plastic knob or just use a bolt. The distance from the centerline of the 1/2" hole (and 1/4" hole that holds the torch pipe} to the 1/4" hole that mounts to the arm is 3/4". The only other thing that I did was to cut a 45ACP case to slide between the 1/2" hole in the block and the torch pipe. This keeps the mounting bolt from scratching the torch pipe and makes the fit better. You need the 1/2" hole so the torch pipe bend will slip through the block and allow you to place the block against the torch valve. It is also important that you drill the hole through the 7/8" portion of the block due to the torch pipe bend. Here are some better pictures and if you have any other questions please let me know.

FullSizeRender_zpszkcblm3e.jpg

FullSizeRender-1_zpso852dtro.jpg

FullSizeRender-2_zpst6jc7k4m.jpg

FullSizeRender-3_zpsvegitq3t.jpg

I forgot to mention that you could use the brass ground wire holder that comes with the unit if you don't want to mess with this.

Cheers,

Jim

Rate now:
colt933XFirst Sergeant
1014 posts this site
03/10/2016

You can re-use the ground lug that comes with the annealer to attach the torch to the articulated arm. You will have to drill and tap a hold to mount it. I screwed mine up, so had to buy another from Home Depot for about $2.

Rate now:
30CalCowXSergeant
479 posts this site
03/13/2016

Quick trip to Tractor Supply found this gem for like 3 or 4 bucks. Works well with that arm mod (hats off to you OP for the thread) and the adjustment now to the torch couldn't be any easier. I did change the two bolts and did have to shim it (two halfs of a 300wm case).

Rate now:
Ironman308

XPrivate
31 posts this site
07/21/2016 Last edited 07/21/2016 by Ironman308

NT
Rate now:
winniedonkeyXSergeant
195 posts this site
07/22/2016

Tag. Am about to pick one of these up. Cool upgrades

Rate now:
Patrick12340XCorporal
91 posts this site
08/24/2016

Hello All...Need yalls help. I figured this thread woud be a good place to ask for it. I wanted to make a setup similar to the OPs, But theres a problem. I purchased everything set it up and no propane came out of the torch tip. I have narrowed the problem down to the fitting that goes into the torch tip (link below).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQN4IS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is the little valve inside the Bernzomatic tip is not being depressed by the fitting...not allowing the propane to flow. Is there a different fitting I need or a different torch head? I have a Worthington fitting which works but it does not have the torch tip. Any ideas?

Rate now:
ArmyJerryXFirst Sergeant
3732 posts this site
08/26/2016

tagging in

Rate now:
SPAK7XFirst Sergeant
1777 posts this site
09/09/2016

Tag

Rate now:
JRHill85XSergeant
313 posts this site
12/20/2016

Question guys:

Can I run this off my 20lb propane tank I have for my grill? Will I have to buy different fittings? Just ordered one of these and was really just wanting to drag my tank to my garage and go at it.
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the clamp pictured above to hold the torch. Thanks