• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Don’t almost burn your house down with an Annealeez

TxWelder35

WELDERAT0R
Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    Well here a “no shit dumb ass” PSA.

First of all don’t ever have a flame annealer on your reloading bench. Do that shit away from from all powder, primers, etc. Because all the reloading stuff goes on the reloading bench and that’s where I keep it all thats where it was.

I literally know better than this, maybe I’m the only moron that spaced how dangerous it is.

Anyway, went to go anneal my brass, opened up the propane valve, nothing, empty. Thought huh that’s odd I could have swore I just changed this. Don’t think anymore of it and I swap it for a fresh one. Turn it on, all going good for a couple seconds, then there is big fireball consuming the whole thing. Shit my pants, reach over it and grabbing for the shut off valve. Burn all the hair on my arm off. Get it shut off. Literally the worst place In the house for a fire. Probably 40-50# of powder and like 20k primers all within 18”-2’ away from open flame on the shelves above it. Hose at some point had ruptured right before the torch.

So lessons learned
    1- remove propane bottle every time
    2- put that shit outside away from any powder/primers

Annealeez is now permanently outside and will be done on the welding bench.

Well here a “no shit dumb ass” PSA.

First of all don’t ever have a flame annealer on your reloading bench. Do that shit away from from all powder, primers, etc. Because all the reloading stuff goes on the reloading bench and that’s where I keep it all thats where it was.

I literally know better than this, maybe I’m the only moron that spaced how dangerous it is.

Anyway, went to go anneal my brass, opened up the propane valve, nothing, empty. Thought huh that’s odd I could have swore I just changed this. Don’t think anymore of it and I swap it for a fresh one. Turn it on, all going good for a couple seconds, then there is big fireball consuming the whole thing. Shit my pants, reach over it and grabbing for the shut off valve. Burn all the hair on my arm off. Get it shut off. Literally the worst place In the house for a fire. Probably 40-50# of powder and like 20k primers all within 18”-2’ away from open flame on the shelves above it. Hose at some point had ruptured right before the torch.

So lessons learned
    1- remove propane bottle every time
    2- put that shit outside away from any powder/primers

Annealeez is now permanently outside and will be done on the welding bench.
    Good you're OK and damage was minimal. :cool:

I had an Annealeze. Got rid of it.

I had a salt bath set up. Got rid of it.

Bought a Fluxeon "Annie" induction annealer. Have had it for 5 years or so and am very happy with it. No open flame or 550 degree liquid salt bath. The Annie is much safer and is far more repeatable than either flame or salt bath type. AMP induction annealer is another good one, but I just couldn't bite off on the price/cost.

Last edited:
    Reactions: abn31c and 338dude
    I used to have a Bench Source before. Had it setup in the garage. Though, for safety purposes I would always stay next to the machine with a fire extinguisher in case shit happens. Then after awhile I got tired of the fact and got rid of it then got a AMP.

Reactions: 338dude
    You ain't alone brother. Just looked and I've got a propane torch in my reloading room... Don't even know why it's in there, but I remember using it for something in there. Moving it now.

And those powder numbers are rookie numbers. 😉

• Haha
    Reactions: 338dude
    is that your setup? is The case feeder still on your press? Where did you purchase the coiled feeder tube?
    Yes, that is my setup. I use a Dillon Casefeeder. The coil tube is a standard spring tube you can cut to length from a hardware store. I believe it's 1/2" inner diameter if I'm not mistaken.
    How much is that’s set up?
    Amp + Ampmate I believe is currently around $1600. I bought it much cheaper awhile back, though.

It's set it and forget it. No watching a flame. My only limitation is case feeder capacity. But I annealed 500 pieces of brass the other day in 45-ish minutes.

Yes, that is my setup. I use a Dillon Casefeeder. The coil tube is a standard spring tube you can cut to length from a hardware store. I believe it's 1/2" inner diameter if I'm not mistaken.

Amp + Ampmate I believe is currently around $1600. I bought it much cheaper awhile back, though.

It's set it and forget it. No watching a flame. My only limitation is case feeder capacity. But I annealed 500 pieces of brass the other day in 45-ish minutes.
    Thank you I have been looking for that. What department in a hardware store has that?

Thanks for the PSA. This could happen to any one.
    Amen Brother ... I started handloading about 3 years ago and as I was learning and accumulating "stuff" ... I looked at torch-based annealing solutions and something inside me intuitively said "That's just dangerous". I saw the AMP, learned the difference, and immediately backordered one. This was at the beginning of the craziness, and I had it in hand less than a month later. When I see a Youtube or pictures of someone lighting a torch to anneal, it still makes me cringe. I know that makes me sound like an "Induction Entitled Elitist" ... but I've become OK with that.

Induction annealer would be nice but it’s hard to justify the price. (As long as the other doesn’t burn your house down 🙄) I get good results on target with flame annealing and have yet to have a split neck with 14x fired brass.

Honesty I just can’t believe how completely over looked having that flame annealer near powder/primers was. It no world in any other setting would you ever allow open flames near those products.

I just hope someone who reads this turns a light bulb on to keep it away from powder/primers. Guess it’s all part of getting compliant and over looking major safety problems.

its why i went electric ... small kids and fire .. wife didnt like it

I don't understand how you would anneal brass next to primers and powder? And I keep ally powder and primers in a wooden cabinet and only have what I'm loading on the bench. That way I don't put the wrong powder back into the wrong jug but when I'm annealing all components are stored. So to help you out I will take the primers off your hands to prevent any further risk. No need to thank me bro

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Induction annealer would be nice but it’s hard to justify the price. (As long as the other doesn’t burn your house down 🙄) I get good results on target with flame annealing and have yet to have a split neck with 14x fired brass.

Honesty I just can’t believe how completely over looked having that flame annealer near powder/primers was. It no world in any other setting would you ever allow open flames near those products.

I just hope someone who reads this turns a light bulb on to keep it away from powder/primers. Guess it’s all part of getting compliant and over looking major safety problems.

It’s because your a welder…heat and fire don’t scare you!

My AMP is an amazing machine. Can’t say enough about it. I want the amp mate automation but I’m just happy to have the main machine for now

Glad your ok, but dude!

That anal easy thing is what it is I guess, but Iobviously not fool proof. (I’m not calling you a fool)…just saying

My AMP is an amazing machine. Can’t say enough about it. I want the amp mate automation but I’m just happy to have the main machine for now

Glad your ok, but dude!

That anal easy thing is what it is I guess, but Iobviously not fool proof. (I’m not calling you a fool)…just saying
    No definitely a fool for not realizing how stupid doing that near powder is. Extremely foolish thing to do. But we do stupid shit and we learn from it, hopefully not too painfully. I’ll publicly shame myself in hopes that someone else might learn from it.

No definitely a fool for not realizing how stupid doing that near powder is. Extremely foolish thing to do. But we do stupid shit and we learn from it, hopefully not too painfully. I’ll publicly shame myself in hopes that someone else might learn from it.
    Yeah could have been worse. So, yeah I’m sure you won’t forget that.

TxWelder35,,,,welding 101, who's doing your fire watch ;)

All kidding aside, glad your ok. Spend the money on a AMP.

Check this out - I got it and it works great. No flames. And it works great as a tool for what it was made for, too - heating up nuts and the like for removal. I've used it several times for that, too.

That’s pretty cool set up there

all it takes is a little bit of complacency. we've all been there. whether it is being far too comfortable with a certain task, maybe not as educated as we should be, or thinking about something else in the moment.

glad everything turned out ok and it never hurts to read reminders to be on our toes.

20k primers you say?

Lol j/k, glad you didn’t send your house into orbit

Thank you I have been looking for that. What department in a hardware store has that?

Or you can order them to your door from DoubleAlpha... they have both small and large diameter...

Or you can order them to your door from DoubleAlpha... they have both small and large diameter...

This is easy. $14 + shipping though. Easy buy if you need some Double Alpha mag pouches or holster...

But TBH, the spring cost less than $1 at a store, depending on how much is cut.

Reactions: padom
    Surprise!! Ya it a shocker for damn sure.
    I bought a metal cabinet that all powder and primers go into and nothing is in the open.
    That and bought an Annie Annealer no more open flame best investment made.

Another option could be to not anneal next to your powder and primers. I know that seems like a complex concept on it's face but it is surprisingly easier in practice once you get the hang of it.

Here's step by step guide, it took some time to make it concise because of the complexity:

Step 1) Move powder away from flame annealer.
    Step 2) Anneal brass with flame annealer.

• Haha
    Reactions: Aftermath
    Another option could be to not anneal next to your powder and primers. I know that seems like a complex concept on it's face but it is surprisingly easier in practice once you get the hang of it.

Here's step by step guide, it took some time to make it concise because of the complexity:

New Primers should be safe inside of primer pockets for annealing right?

Winner of the common sense award .

Surprise!! Ya it a shocker for damn sure.
    I bought a metal cabinet that all powder and primers go into and nothing is in the open.
    That and bought an Annie Annealer no more open flame best investment made.

They should be stored in wooden containers.

Metal container can become a bomb in a fire.

Open storage is actually pretty safe due to the design of modern plastic powder jugs.

I like the low tech unit. Don't do it where there's spilled powder and loose primers? Hell that's like 3/4 of my house!

isn't warning people about the dangers of leaving an open flame untended about as stupid as pushing people to turn over there guns cause you might get lead poisoning from bullets that could have lead in it lead in it ? please don't drink the cool aid from your cars radiator as it's not cool aid , or having to be told not to eat the yellow snow on the ground snow is never yellow without pee but if you want it please by all means eat it lol . or not to eat smokeless powder no matter how it smells it is going to taste like crap never leave a toddler untended with a magic marker and your clean white walls could become a canvas for there next masterpiece ( finger paint also works really well ) .

isn't warning people about the dangers of leaving an open flame untended about as stupid as pushing people to turn over there guns cause you might get lead poisoning from bullets that could have lead in it lead in it ? please don't drink the cool aid from your cars radiator as it's not cool aid , or having to be told not to eat the yellow snow on the ground snow is never yellow without pee but if you want it please by all means eat it lol . or not to eat smokeless powder no matter how it smells it is going to taste like crap never leave a toddler untended with a magic marker and your clean white walls could become a canvas for there next masterpiece ( finger paint also works really well ) .
    I'll drink as much coolant as I want and there is nothing you can do to stop me

I'll drink as much coolant as I want and there is nothing you can do to stop me
    1656640171734.gif

This story has me moving my Geraud annealer further away from powder/primers and mounting a fire extinguisher

Reactions: TxWelder35
    don't be stupid with it and nothing bad will happen it's almost as bad as saying don't stick a paper clip inside a wall socket or don't lick a hot grill lol of course you don't do those things or you get what you diverse .