• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealer torch?

kengel2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2009
Bedico, Louisiana
Just setting up an annealeez machine. Every video I watch the flame from the torch is very short and pointed. The torch on mine is shooting a 6" flame which is melting the upper wheel. Do I need the pressure regulator or do I need a new torch?

You need a regulator if you are running some torches upside down. There are some simple torch trouble shooting guides online.

Reactions: lash
You need a regulator if you are running some torches upside down. There are some simple torch trouble shooting guides online.

Torch isnt upside down. Ive open the knob on the tank all the way, and tried to adjust the flame with the knob on the torch. Its like its all or nothing. Ill try a regulator and see what happens.

Mounted like this....
1688308511745.jpeg

Torch isnt upside down. Ive open the knob on the tank all the way, and tried to adjust the flame with the knob on the torch. Its like its all or nothing. Ill try a regulator and see what happens.

Mounted like this....View attachment 8174183
To be sure to avoid any melting of the wheels, I angle the flame where it's not parallel to them, but is pointing away from the wheels (like from the inside towards the outside of the machine). The flame is still on the proper area of the cases . . . just at an angle. This was only a particular issue for me when I changed to a somewhat large swirl flame torch head. Also, as you can see in the pics below, I'm using a regulator and I found that the regulator didn't really change anything with regard to the flame except to keep it consistent over the time it took to anneal all my brass. I don't do shorter cases like 223's and my wheels are the standard size ones.

Annealeez.JPG

Annealeez2.JPG

Wrong Torch:
The torch you are using has a "swirl flame" profile. You probably want to be using a torch with a "pencil flame" profile.

Wrong Torch:
The torch you are using has a "swirl flame" profile. You probably want to be using a torch with a "pencil flame" profile.
Do you seriously think Annealeez would send the wrong torch ?

OP, is this your first time adjusting a propane torch ? If so, keep playing with it . If you can't get it with the torch knob leave that open use the other regulator . You can take the torch out and mess with it without fear of melting anything .

Do you seriously think Annealeez would send the wrong torch ?

I would not recommend a swirl flame torch that close to those wheels no matter where he got the torch. The flame is too broad and intense. Its perfect for soldering copper pipe, however.

Wrong Torch:
Yes, I very well know it's a swirl flame torch head and I chose it on purpose replacing the pencil flame head that came with the Annealeez. I find it does very well for me the way I've got it set up. I have a swirl flame torch head that is small and can work will with the smaller cases and narrower wheels. I was after a more intense flame to speed up the annealing process to help minimize the amount of heat traveling down the body. This works quite well for me.