• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Annealing. Am I doing it right?

ALR

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2013
Just started annealing Norma brass. Hope to get 30 firings out of them if I anneal after every third firing. Here is a clip showing my procedure. I'm using 482 deg F Tempilstick. I have a feeling that I can anneal it a bit more. But how would I know?

What are the symptoms of over and especially under annealing. What I do know for a fact is that my procedure is safe, and the walls of the case are not heated too much. Accuracy is looking good, but I need confirmation from someone who understands the annealing process. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Annealing with 482 deg F Tempilstic - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are doing a good job, but probably need to go just a little longer. Watch for a blue line to start showing just below the shoulder. Once the line moves down the case wall about 3/8" and then you are good. If you have any new Lapua brass, try to copy the look of that.

Ok, just saw your second post with the case pic. The neck has been way to hot!!! The color shouldn't be too much different than the shoulder and just below the shoulder. That blue color is bad!!! IMHO

Last edited:
Annealing. Am I doing it right?

Sorry I see my post has been duplicated. I think the picture is misleading. The cases were not cleaned and the dry neck lubricant also gives it a dark color. I'll try to post a pic of a cleaned case.

I also got a better, thinner flame that will do the neck only. Also got some Tempilaq solution today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: