• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing brass made easy

scottsnipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Peoria, Arizona
I wanted to share my way of annealing brass, I have found this makes it so much easier and cheaper than buying extra gear just for annealing. I just started annealing my brass and seems to make my loads a little more consistent (might be all in my head), This only cost me $20 from lowes for the square tube with the holes. I just made the holes a little bigger and you can definitely use multiple calibers since there is four sides and you can space them out. Let me know what you guys think

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4MgVUnqJAFc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4MgVUnqJAFc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Sorry for the poor video quality.

Re: Annealing brass made easy

Nice, I like the way you did that so that the brass will turn. I use a drill with a 1/2" deep socket.

Side note: At 4 seconds you are not even close to annealing temps. You need to get to 800 degrees and keep it there for 2-3 seconds. It take me 6-7 seconds in two flames to get one done.

Get yourself an 800 Tempilstik so you can gauge your timing. I use the stick to figure out my timing and do a lot. If you do it in a pitch black room you will see the brass start to turn maroon in color (which happens right after 800 degrees according to the Tempilstik) and then hold that color for a few seconds.

Actually you are right, this is my first time annealing and I heard its better to under do it than over do it. I also was annealing lapua brass and was a little nervous. Thanks for the input, I am going to make a bracket to hold 2 of the torches so it can heat up faster in a shorteer period of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not tried this but I only see one thing to add:

www.tempil.com Tempilaq heat indicating paint or sticks.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html Says brass around 750 degress at neck.

Referenced here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1371334&page=1 </div></div>

I've read the 6mmbr page several times over the last couple years and decided on a method very similar to that used by Rich DeSimone at the end of the article in the link.

What I don't care for is the last paragraph of the Laramore quote regarding whether to anneal before or after resizing.

I find it most practical to clean, lube, resize, clean again and then anneal using my variation of the low rpm case holder (It's actually a socket, foil taped to the outside case chamfer tool, screwed to an extension rod screwed into my RCBS case prep machine). I position the torch where I like it, turn 30 caliber cases 6-7 seconds and grab each with my gloved left hand and drop them into a bucket of water. DeSimone uses CLR, I guess that cleans them up after the process.

Anyway, I find my method leaves them ready, once dry, to finish my case prep: trim, chamfer and pocket clean then reload once dry.

Laramore states,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last question is, "Do I anneal before resizing, or after"? Theoretically annealing does not change the diameter of the case neck. In practice, it may or may not, depending on how much the metal is stressed. Therefore, you should always anneal before resizing.

</div></div>

This may be so but it would change my process as I'd have to clean, deprime only, then anneal.

What is the prevailing thought among you folks regarding at which point annealing falls in the case prep process?

The way that i have found that works good for me with the least amount of steps is. When i get back form the range my brass is not really that dirty. So I lube, resize, anneal with may K&M shell holder on a drill for 6-7 seconds, then drop the case into my Tumbler with Stainless Steel media and soap and water. Tumble for four hours. Cases and primer pockets come out clean. Then I just have to prime and load.

Skyking,

That's one more for the resize first column!

Questions;

You have had no issues with the residual lube cooking off or discoloring the brass in the annealing phase?

How long have you been using your method?

I have only used mine three times and consider myself way down on the learning curve!

Scott,

Sorry if this is a hijack, I'll take it to another thread if you'd prefer.

Yes it does change the brass different colors. But using the Stainless Steel media cleans off anything that is left. When the brass comes out it looks like it was never even annealed. Go to the Stainless Steel Testimony page if you have not seen it, and you will see examples of how the brass looks. It so sweet. You will never go back to your old way of cleaning. I too am new at annealing. I have been cleaning this way for awhile but just started annealing and cleaning for the last few months. Been testing to see what works best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

www.tempil.com Tempilaq heat indicating paint or sticks.
</div></div>

Get the Tempilstik not the paint, the paint is shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What is the prevailing thought among you folks regarding at which point annealing falls in the case prep process? </div></div>

I do it before I re-size.

Anyone tried the "lead pot" method? I've yet to but it sounds pretty simply and very reproducible/consistent. It seems to be the only method that evenly heats from inside and out.

Here's what I would think it would take:

1. Clean brass inside and out via stainless steel media and dry.
2. Heat lead to temp desired via thermostate - verify with thermometer.
3. Dip case to shoulder until tempistik melts just below shoulder.

Again, I've not tried it yet but have started getting things together to try.

Nice video, I like the idea, but some suggestions, figure out a way to make the brass turn while the heat is on, maybe some foam tape to rotate the caese as they slide by, then slide the tube over the edge and have the brass fall out into a bucket or something, I love redneck engineering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantfoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone tried the "lead pot" method? I've yet to but it sounds pretty simply and very reproducible/consistent. It seems to be the only method that evenly heats from inside and out.
</div></div>

I'd like to see it, but it gets bad reviews. However, I suspect that the bad reviews stem from poor set-ups.

I do two torches with intersecting flames and a 1/2" deep socket chucked in a drill. It's the fastest method I have found where I can also check my temps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice video, I like the idea, but some suggestions, figure out a way to make the brass turn while the heat is on, maybe some foam tape to rotate the caese as they slide by, then slide the tube over the edge and have the brass fall out into a bucket or something, I love redneck engineering. </div></div>
When you slide it back and forth the brass actually turns, that is why I tilted the tube just slightly.