• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Annealing brass question

cornhusker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2012
Towandaa,Pa
wondering if any of you have ever tried one of those
temperture stiks while annealing?
I ordered one for 650 degrees...Not really sure to mark the brass
though..So if you have tried one of these,please
tell me how it worked for you..Thanks,John

I believe you want to heat the neck up to around 800 degree's, anything below that won't do much good.

I bought some 650 degree paint from Brownell's. Mainly I wanted to make sure that the heat was not traveling all the way to the case head. I do them one at a time by hand.

Last edited:
I bought some 650 degree paint from Brownell's. Mainly I wanted to make sure that the heat was not traveling all the way to the case head. I do them one at t a time by hand.

that is how I do mine as well,but i have been guessing at the temps. the marker should be here tomorrow so I can try that..

The marker isn't like a "marker" unfortunately. It's more like a piece of chalk that won't write on brass. So technically you're supposed to touch it to the brass and when it melts you've reached your temp. You really want the liquid, not a marker.

I would highly recommend reading the 6br article. 650 won't do it unless its there for 15 minutes. I place 750 on the neck and have it leaving the flame when the liquid JUST starts to melt.

The Art and Science of Annealing

June, 96 Cases

"The 650-degree crayon, which melts at about 10 to 15 degrees below annealing temperature, is Number 3261K449 in my old McMaster-Carr catalog, at a nominal price of $7.80. Be sure to specify crayon when you order. McMaster-Carr also sells 650-degree temperature-sensing pellets under the same catalog number. These pellets are for other applications and aren’t adaptable to case annealing. The 660-degree crayon changes color at approximately the correct annealing temperature (within 2 degrees or so). Its catalog number is 5960K71 and sells for $6.20. Both come with aluminum pocket holders.

Which crayon is better? For annealing only a short area such as just the neck and not much lower on the case, the 660-degree color-change crayon is probably better. When the color changes a bit lower down, the upper neck should be just about the right amount hotter. Annealing a longer area means there’s a wider range of temperatures between the mouth of the case and the lower edge of the annealing area. The 650-degree melting crayon allows a range of about 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit. You could use this crayon to mark the lower edge of the area to be annealed, or the other crayon to mark the upper portion of the annealing area."

Just found this, am looking to anneal a couple hundred cartridges myself.
-Wayne