• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing brass - Water quench or air cool?

Water quenching is not necessary. I do mine onto a 2/3 ISPC target to sink the heat out of them faster. Then I can start sizing while the machine is still running. I have a couple of big aluminum trays I am going to try.

If you’re doing salt then quench (really it’s to clean). If it’s anything else as soon as it’s removed from the flame/induction it starts cooling, heat migration down the case won’t be enough to cause issues after it’s no longer being heated.

I air dry mine as it runs through the annealeez. I have a try that I use under it and just keep moving it once the brass piles up on one side and by the time it is done, the brass from the start is already good to go and cooled off. if anything, it takes maybe 5 mins for brass to cool down or at least that is my experience. I usually go smoke after im done annealing and by the time I come back in, They are cool enough to start running through the press.