• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing - flame vs induction

iceng

Non-Privates
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2017
South Aus
Has anyone tried to do a comparitive test between the same brass, a batch being flame annealed, and measured for velo, ES/SD, etc, and then taking the same brass and induction annealing it ?

Anyone with a AMP force seating measurement thinggie.. etc ?

I get that annealing can be "easier" to get consistent results, easier setup, etc, however for the poors out there who cant afford an AMP or Annie/fluxeon, it may help push them to save for one..

Id love for fclass john, or bolt action reloading on youtube to do an indepth coverage on this. Could be interesting.

Anyone have any imperical data on it ? Most "records" were shot with thr old flame and calibrated eyeball method for years, my thoughts are that induction annealers were the "buy one cry once" solution.. like quality digital scales...

Reactions: Rich4
What I can gather from video, it does not make a huge difference. Erik has said that the biggest thing is to anneal, how it is done is quite irrelevant. I mean, he did not shoot that bad with the flame annealed brass either.

@Near miss thank you ! Dunno how i couldnt find that one. Stupid youtube.

Edit.

Ok. The amp appeared to group "better" is his sample. The flame was not much behind it however.
His seating was not anything like I expected. Ive seen MUCH more consistent seating in other videos. Perhaps that was a cause ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolomite
Thats my thoughts exactly.

I use an AMP, without the case feeder. I can buy a new flame annealer, full auto and can process 200+ cases, hands free, for cheaper than the auto case feeder.

This is my dilema.

Reactions: Dolomite
@Near miss thank you ! Dunno how i couldnt find that one. Stupid youtube.

Edit.

Ok. The amp appeared to group "better" is his sample. The flame was not much behind it however.
His seating was not anything like I expected. Ive seen MUCH more consistent seating in other videos. Perhaps that was a cause ?

If all he did was size the brass and expand with a mandrel against a bare annealed surface then that’s what you get.

I use an AMP, without the case feeder. I can buy a new flame annealer, full auto and can process 200+ cases, hands free, for cheaper than the auto case feeder.

This is my dilema.
This is why I have both AMP and Giraud former for magnum above 308 latter for 308 and below (bulk batches)

Reactions: iceng

This is my dilema.

....it appears it comes down to "cost" for you, and the value of your "time". Could be you will only be able to answer by testing both for yourself in your platform.

IMHO, Cortina's comments didn't carry a tone of "conviction" in the results, only the speed of annealing on the AMP -vs- his Benchsource. In many of his vids it sounds as if speed, ease of use and consistency of results as related to "time saving" are higher priorities. He's not shooting for "bug holes", but keeping them within the X ring at 1K.

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng
I have the bench source. I keep eyeballing the AMP. Tuning in to see what thoughts are as well

Personally what I have works fine. I also keep eyeing the 419 Zero but my rock Chucker still keeps me warm at night….so

Looking into getting an annealer. Have ben reloading for a long time. No way can justify $1500 on an amp even if i could, still not going to spend on an amp. Believe in buying quality, just not on that. Thats my rant.
What do you all recommend for flame annealer?

Looking into getting an annealer. Have ben reloading for a long time. No way can justify $1500 on an amp even if i could, still not going to spend on an amp. Believe in buying quality, just not on that. Thats my rant.
I really like my bench source. Dual torches anneals in about 4 seconds per piece. I hand feed mine as it doesn’t have a hopper if that matters to you

I like to watch the brass anneal so I can see the machine is running as it should be. Buddy has one with a hopper (not bench source) and a few times it’s malfunctioned while he was off doing something else. Cooked a few pieces of brass

We sell the ep 2.0 annealer that can adjust from 300blk to 50bmg without having to add or remove any parts & adjusts in seconds for $268 full retail shipped lower 48 states.

Might have enough parts too to get a scratch and dent together from $228 to $248 shipped depending in how s&d it is. PM if your interested. We usually have enough parts for an s&d weekly.

Attachments

• 20220316_195909.jpg
    20220316_195909.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: r.tenorio671
Well, i got my AMP in yesterday and annealed 100 cases with it last night. Going from an Annealeez to the AMP, im hooked. Bought a gen1 amp mate and getting the gen 2 upgrade kit soon. Just need to get a dillon case feeder and set up. Love this AMP annealer.

I've got a Bench Source and it has served me well for years. Its a very well made machine. I spend 15 minutes setting it up, then 4-5 second per case , and then 10 minutes putting it all away. I do my precision cases every time and I get minimal velocity variation. The induction annealers look nice, but I've got lots of better things to spend my money on than another annealer.

Reactions: r.tenorio671