• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weird lines and colours when annealing

Sev308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Canada
Hello,

I am very new to annealing brass, and I wanted to get some advice on why I get weird lines and color patches on my brass necks.

I'm using 308 Remington brass and annealing using the drill + socket method using a torch.
I believe I'm not over-annealing the brass and am stopping just before the brass starts changing color. I may also be wrong. I know that eyeballing the color is not a great method, but that's the best I can do right now.

I noticed that I also get these lines that form even if I under-anneal the brass. Basically, after around a second and a half under the flame, I can see those lines forming and changing color. Since this happened last time, I used some very fine steel wool to "clean/polish" the neck, but I still got the same result.

If anyone would mind letting me know what is happening and if those rounds are safe to load, please let me know!

Here are the pictures of the brass after annealing them (they were cleaned using steel wool before annealing)
***Also note, the color contrast is way more in the pictures than it is in real life***

Thanks!

d13eec70-9dcc-4057-a684-691b67a4a601.jpeg51d9955d-fe2a-4c88-a62d-18563893c71b.jpeg7890465f-d80c-4b3a-b301-bf5bbfb865ed.jpeg
da7aa505-b6b3-4f62-8512-e1c3c9f40760.jpeg
371b4eb2-f127-441a-a18b-efc71523434f.jpeg

51d9955d-fe2a-4c88-a62d-18563893c71b.jpeg

Hot spots is all I see
There may be hot spots, but those lines are hard to produce if it's just hot spots, which doesn't make too much sense to me. I'm guessing it's just carbon fouling or impurities that burned into the case. But I'm not sure

7-8 firings with just over the minimum loads

I think you’re overheating the cases. The markings on the case indicate the heat is going way too far down the body and unevenly at that. I don’t think they will shoot well now.

You should be fine. Clean them up with some 0000 steel wool.
I already tried it before making this post, I did it again as well, but it doesn't seem to be changing it up much. It is slightly better, but it's definitely been incorporated into the metal. Whatever I do the lines and spots are still very visible, that's why I'm a bit hesitant on what to do

I already tried it before making this post, I did it again as well, but it doesn't seem to be changing it up much. It is slightly better, but it's definitely been incorporated into the metal. Whatever I do the lines and spots are still very visible, that's why I'm a bit hesitant on what to do
Load um, shoot um, that's what you do now.

I think you’re overheating the cases. The markings on the case indicate the heat is going way too far down the body and unevenly at that. I don’t think they will shoot well now.
This ^

Not necessarily in agreement on being too far down the body, (its certainly borderline) but you're burning those case necks without a doubt.