• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing machines

Jager66

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Northern VA & Northern Italy
Hi Folks, I am in the process to start serious annealing and I am trying to gather information on which annealing machine to buy.
Since the process itself (of annealing that is) needs to be as much precise as possible (both temperature wise as like as operation repeating...) I would like to get a machine that minimizes human error as much as possible, thereby one of those "rotating tray" would probably fill my bill.
Awaiting for your thoughts.

Thank you.
J

Re: Annealing machines

I own the Bench Source Vertex. I've had in for a couple of years and cannot recommend it highly enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evilaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the Bench Source Vertex. I've had in for a couple of years and cannot recommend it highly enough. </div></div>

I saw it and seems pretty nice....

Do you know how it's priced and where to get it ?

Tnx

Only have experience with the Giraud.

I bought it because I have the trimmer, which is excellent, and

Because it's the only one on the market that runs autonomously, at least that I'm aware of. All of the others require a monkey (me) to sit there and feed the cases in one by one. With the giraud I spend a minute or two stacking cases, and then I'm free to work on other things.

The giraud works very nicely.

Ihave one I call the Lassiter 1080P. Very few moving parts. A couple custom made annealing sockets. One in .380dia and one in .475dia. Milwaukee hole shooter to chuck up the sockets, $12 torch, $4 can of propane, and a 42" Vizeo with 1080 resolution. Turn off the lights, turn on the TV, fire up the torch. Cheap and easy and just as good as a machine with minimal practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Girard is a great machine. </div></div>

Agreed!

I have a home made one, I got the plans and wheel from jMorris, CKA who doesn't post here anymore has the Giraud and Bench Source, he says the Bench Source is faster and does a better job, and the Giraud is fun to watch, he recommends the Bench Source over the Giraud.

Bench source all the way.. 100 rounds in like 10 min.. its the cats meow period!!

I have read alot about Jmorris and his saw blade and plans he sells - since he no longer posts here - does anyone know how to get in touch with him - do you know where is is posting now? I am interested in building an annealing machine - he seems to have worked out all the issues.

Thanks Guys for the great info's, which confirm my first thoughts.

Just curious....does anyone use this system ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjhTXvwVPU

The induction method looks like a good ideal but it's almost impossible to get any consistency with it, the guy in the video is over heating his brass and likely ruining it, you never want the brass to glow orange like in the video.

I've had the Bench Source a few years also and love it, the tray feeder on the Giraud is not a plus in my opinion.

What's the down side? About purchase one or the other.

L

It's not that much faster and requires you to buy different parts for different size cases.

The BS annealer is faster due to the duel torches and feeding the cases in by hand is quick and easy no more than you'll actually use the machine.

EWP

I've been running a Bench Source machine for about 2 yrs now and once I set up all my calibers and logged the info it repeats every time like mentioned about I do about 100 in 10 min. The machine just works! You can buy right from Bench Source if you like,Dave is very helpful and takes care of his customers!
Sully

I recently got the Bench Source and did a few batches. I am very happy with the speed and the results.

At this point, I can setup the machine, tempilaq 2-3 cases to ensure my heat and timer are set right, in less than 10 minutes. I can break down the machine and put it back in the cabinet in less than 5 minutes. So setup and breakdown is less than 15 minutes.

Once the machine is setup, it anneals my 6.5 creedmoor brass at a rate of about 10/minute. I did 300 yesterday in 30 minutes.

So, from pulling the unit about of the cabinet to putting it back, I spent 45 minutes, and annealed 300 brass. The results were very consistent. Half way through the batch, I put another tempilaq'd case in the mix and the tempilaq cleared right when it should have.

The Bench Source folks are a pleasure to work with and the Vertex Annealer makes annealing easy.

I have read alot about Jmorris and his saw blade and plans he sells - since he no longer posts here - does anyone know how to get in touch with him - do you know where is is posting now? I am interested in building an annealing machine - he seems to have worked out all the issues.

I haven't seen the need to rotate with the opposing torches but a few guys have built them that way.

Look towards the end of this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?48611-finished-the-auto-annealer-today

Another vote for the Bench-Source also! Dave is also always willing to answer questions and help ya out with it afterwards!