• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing new brass

heavy barrel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
phoenix,az
Is it a good idea to anneal new brass? Or should I fire it first? It's new winchester brass for 308. I'm going to start load development on a new barrel soon.

Re: Annealing new brass

No need to anneal new brass...It's already been done when produced. Anneal after 3-5 firings.

I wouldnt, unless you are going to fireform it to AI.

I've never needed to do this to fireform AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldnt, unless you are going to fireform it to AI. </div></div>

I'm going to wash my truck, then take it to the car wash.

Makes about as much sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never needed to do this to fireform AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldnt, unless you are going to fireform it to AI. </div></div> </div></div>

Not as much as a need, but a should. While most brass will form AI with no problems, some come hard from the factory and can crack at the shoulder. Like Rem and Win brass. Lapua, not so much as it comes soft from the factory.

Why does Lapua brass come annealed new? That's what made me think of doing it. Do they use a harder brass or is it because the brass is thicker?

All bottlenecked rifle brass is annealed on the shoulder and neck areas after it has been formed. Just most other commercial manufacturers polish it before packaging it.