• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing question...

Sgt_Jamez

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
Carmichael, CA
My Bench Source annealer came in this week... love it by the way. I have a bottle of 650F Tempilaq but I didn't buy the 400F. I am wondering how many people use one of those handheld IR temperature guns in their annealing process?

Re: Annealing question...

Most Hand held Temp indicators will not read the cases. Too small of a surface area.

Terry

As luck would have it... or so I thought... Harbor Frieght had one of these devices on sale yesterday so I picked one up after work for $29. A cheap-ish experiement if you will. And indeed it did not read the cases correctly. I think it listed most cases as being about 147F.

So... don't buy an IR temp guage for annealing!
smile.gif
I appreciate the input! Thanks!

eh , id give it back to harbor frieght.

try it , measure a peice of metal , then heat it up , with your hand or something , that harbor fright tool won't really measure the difference in temp.

i bought another laser temp gun at pep boys , it cost more money and does a much better job. It's almost comparable to my k-type thermomter. At least , if i submerge the probe in a liquid , and then measure that liquid with the temp gun , i get around a 2-10 C difference , which, isn't to bad i guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eh , id give it back to harbor frieght.
</div></div>
If its important use a Fluke...We use them at work all the time and are very reliable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oosickness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If its important use a Fluke...We use them at work all the time and are very reliable </div></div>

That was what I was told.
This is the one I bought.
http://www.fluke-direct.com/shop/itemDetail.do?itm_id=154658&itm_index=0&item=568

Haven't tried it yet.
A bit pricy, but should help with setup and save on cleaning the tempilaq scunge
smile.gif

I bought Tempilaq in a bunch of difference temps. While it works to see that your case head is not getting too hot, I feel like the high temp stuff is kind of useless. It is not just temperature, but time at x temperature that determines degree of annealing. For that, I use two indicators... one is the glow of the brass with the lights off. You want it to just start to glow, but not glow red hot. The second is the color of the brass after annealing.

The time it takes will vary by manufacturer of brass, but I use old FGMM brass to set up the machine each time before I run my Lapua cases. When I under-anneal, I can feel the difference in neck tension. It takes a lot more pressure to seat under-annealed brass. That is your final indicator.

I run a bench source also, great bit of kit
Tempilaq in higher ratings is about worthless, i do mine by visual works like a champ
Watch for the neck to "jussst" start to turn maroon in shade.
note the setting for time and log it, done deal