• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing-What Temp?

Dolomite_Supafly

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
E. TN
I am going to be doing some testing and I am going to order a few temperature indicating items, either laquer or a wax type pen.

I just need to know what temperature annealing brass occurs so I can run a bead ot the sensing agent down the side of a case to make sure there isn't too much heat making it to far down the case when testing a new idea.

Hornady sells a kit that says 475 degrees on it for $50 or so dollars. I can get the same laquer for $14 but I just want to make sure I get the right temp.

Here is the cheaper laquer methods from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks
Dolomite

Re: Annealing-What Temp?

Annealing temp for brass is about 670F. The trick is in measuring the temperature. Hornady uses 475F TempiLaq, but places it below the case neck. What you don't want to do is to soften anything but the neck.

The Hornady kit includes case holders. Something like Lee's case chuck would serve the same purpose. What you essentially are doing is developing your process. Once that is accomplished, you don't need the temp sensing liquid.

What I am working on is an idea for a tool that came to me last week to hopefully make it easier for me to anneal. I have a prototype that should be done sometime this week for me to test. It allows me to bleed off heat in the case while annealing if my thinking isn't skewed. I was just needing to determine temp in an area that can't be seen at the time of annealing. The neck will be visable but nothing else and I just want to make sure I don't get heat soak into critical areas of the case.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it
Dolomite

the hornady case holders are made out of aluminum, they also act as a heatsink to take away the heat from the case head. So using something els is that is made out of steel lets say, is not a good idea as it wont absorb the heat as good as aluminum.

I have talked with a few people about material anf aluminum seems to be the best as far as cost and performance. There was a discussion about using SS. It would work great until it got heat soaked then would take forever to cool. Because of this we are going to use alumninum.

Thanks
Dolomite

"He's lean, he's mean, he's a sexual machine, HE'S DOLOMITE!"

Just a shoutout to your homage to blacksploitation cinema.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"He's lean, he's mean, he's a sexual machine, HE'S DOLOMITE!"

Just a shoutout to your homage to blacksploitation cinema. </div></div>

smile.gif

Dolomite

from left to right first case lapua .338 new from the box, 2 and 3 cases annealed using 750 F° tempilstick, 4 and 5 cases annealed using 650 F° tempilstik

using the 475 F° you have a result between 750 and 650 F.... probably for different material applied.

less than 2 second of butane flame application between 750 and 650 F

I'm happy with 750 F very similar in color and shape with the new one.

DSCN2234.jpg

DSCN2236.jpg

DSCN2237.jpg

DSCN2238.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from left to right first case lapua .338 new from the box, 2 and 3 cases annealed using 750 F° tempilstick, 4 and 5 cases annealed using 650 F° tempilstik

using the 475 F° you have a result between 750 and 650 F.... probably for different material applied.

less than 2 second of butane flame application between 750 and 650 F

I'm happy with 750 F very similar in color and shape with the new one.

DSCN2234.jpg

DSCN2236.jpg

DSCN2237.jpg

DSCN2238.jpg
</div></div>

So I ordered a Tempilstik 700^ from ebay and the stuff is dry and chalky and will not leave a mark on the brass. I have contacted the seller and am awaiting his reply.

Is this normal for Tempilstik?

I was assuming that it would be the consistency of a grease pencil. But it is more like the consistency of Tums.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Robert

the tempilstik that I use is chalky, it is possible to mark the case with it, it's a little tricky at first, but you can get enough to see the color change. Just don't hold the mark directly in the flame or it will char immediately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dolomite_Supafly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to be doing some testing and I am going to order a few temperature indicating items, either laquer or a wax type pen.

I just need to know what temperature annealing brass occurs so I can run a bead ot the sensing agent down the side of a case to make sure there isn't too much heat making it to far down the case when testing a new idea.

Hornady sells a kit that says 475 degrees on it for $50 or so dollars. I can get the same laquer for $14 but I just want to make sure I get the right temp.

Here is the cheaper laquer methods from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks
Dolomite </div></div>

"Optimal Case Temperatures for Successful Annealing

Brass is an excellent conductor of heat. A flame applied at any point on a case for a short time will cause the rest of the case to heat very quickly. There are several temperatures at which brass is affected. Also, the time the brass remains at a given temperature will have an effect. Brass which has been "work hardened" (sometimes referred to as "cold worked") is unaffected by temperatures (Fahrenheit) up to 482 degrees (F) regardless of the time it is left at this temperature. At about 495 degrees (F) some changes in grain structure begins to occur, although the brass remains about as hard as before--it would take a laboratory analysis to see the changes that take place at this temperature.

The trick is to heat the neck just to the point where the grain structure becomes sufficiently large enough to give the case a springy property, leaving the body changed but little, and the head of the case virtually unchanged.

If cases are heated to about 600 degrees (F) for one hour, they will be thoroughly annealed--head and body included. That is, they will be ruined. (For a temperature comparison, pure lead melts at 621.3 degrees F).

The critical time and temperature at which the grain structure reforms into something suitable for case necks is 662 degrees (F) for some 15 minutes. A higher temperature, say from 750 to 800 degrees, will do the same job in a few seconds. If brass is allowed to reach temperatures higher than this (regardless of the time), it will be made irretrievably and irrevocably too soft.

Brass will begin to glow a faint orange at about 950 degrees (F). Even if the heating is stopped at a couple of hundred degrees below this temperature, the damage has been done--it will be too soft. From this discussion we can see that there are four considerations concerning time and temperature:

1. Due to conduction, the amount of heat necessary to sufficiently anneal the case neck is great enough to ruin the rest of the case.

2. If the case necks are exposed to heat for a sufficient period of time, a lower temperature can be used.

3. The longer the case necks are exposed to heat, the greater the possibility that too much heat will be conducted into the body and head, thereby ruining the cases.

4. The higher the temperature, the less time the case necks will be exposed to heat, and there will be insufficient time for heat to be conducted into the body and head.

You can see that there are a couple of Catch-22s involved in this annealing business. On the one hand, the brass conducts heat quite rapidly, and a fairly high temperature with sufficient time must be attained to do the job. On the other hand, too much time cancels the effect, and we will be left with a case that is too soft and not suitable for anything but scrap. Obviously, there must be a solution; otherwise, not even the cartridge manufacturers could do it right."

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

TrimMateAnnealer1.jpg

This is my little dohickey to spin the cases at about 120 rpm. I made little finger/thumb booties to snatch them out of the cigar tube cup.

As per the competitive shooter at the bottom, in the above linked article, I do this in a somewhat darkened kitchen. I used to throw them into some water in the sink, next to the machine, but I haven't felt the need to do this the past couple of times.

I'm looking for just barely maroon in color, but in the beginning I did torch the shit out of some of them, however they're still working.

Chris

I made my own holder and spin them in a drill using 700 deg Tempilaq paint. Sticks were just too chalky and did not mark well.

While you put the paint inside the neck, make you hold the tip of the flame on the shoulders (specifically, junction of shoulder and case body) and not the neck if you want your cases to size the same.

If you hold the flame on the neck, your shoulder dimension will be all over the place after sizing. Holding the flame a little lower really helped this in the testing I did on my brass.

Are you guys moving the flame from lower neck to center shoulder to shoulder lip?

Also MAPP gas will produce the golden brown faster than propane which means its putting less heat into the brass.

I only do my 50 brass and this takes 9-10 secs with the brass in a cordless drill.

~Mike