• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing

L2bravo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2012
Republic of Texas.
Ok, new to reloading. Working on 308’s.

How often do you guys anneal your cases? How many firings?

If you’re annealing them, how many firings do you get off a case typically?

Thanks for the help guys, I’m just a guy that has a sickness for doing things right, always.

I anneal every firing because I can. Some do it every 3rd firing. If I'm not hot rodding cases, I have been averaging 15-20 reloads on my brass depending on brand for 308,6.5cm, and 338 LM. Annealing really helps with accuracy not so much overall brass life because you can get more consistent neck tension. My primer pockets fail usually long before I get a split neck and annealing does nothing for primer pockets.

Reactions: culater
I just started annealing the poor man's way with a torch and a shell holder mounted to a drill LOL. It works surprisingly well, with my PRS rifle I started annealing my brass after every firing and was able to drop the SD down to around 6 or 7.

I did also try annealing for my 308 Gas gun just to see if I could accurize the ammo by neck expanding with a mandrel, annealing, weight sorting, etc... it worked and I got my SD down into the 9 and 10 range however the gas gun beats up the brass so it has to be tossed after about 4 or 5 firings. Not sure if it's really worth it, but it's what I have to do in the semi-auto platform to keep it sub minute.

Reactions: L2bravo
If I may tag on to this, what annealer do most of you like or recommend?

Anneal after every firing in Aztec mode. Before Aztec, presets. My annealing workflow is after SS tumbling.
Btw, I’ve done some testing in the past.On .308, took 5 times fired non annealed case. And 5 times fired annealed after each one. Non turned necks on cases. After seating non annealed cases had runout of .004-.006. Annealed ones .0002-.0015. Though, this was just experimental. And doesn’t prove anything about annealing improving in seating.

I'm annealing every firing because the Mike's Reloading Bench annealer I have is super simple.

I can load 150 pieces of brass at a time and let it do it's thing while I work on something else.

I looked an at Annealeaze, but the lead time was much longer. I ordered the MRB annealer and had it in three days.

Every time for my bolt gun, I have Winchester brand 308 brass with 7 firings, holds 1/2” at 100 yds with SD at 8, but the primer pockets are dying

Lapua 308 brass will be here on Tuesday

My ar’s are used for 3 gun and stuff, and I used mixed brass i scrounge off the range so I don’t anneal that, the necks split or i lose it (usually this)

Anneal after every firing in Aztec mode. Before Aztec, presets. My annealing workflow is after SS tumbling.
Btw, I’ve done some testing in the past.On .308, took 5 times fired non annealed case. And 5 times fired annealed after each one. Non turned necks on cases. After seating non annealed cases had runout of .004-.006. Annealed ones .0002-.0015. Though, this was just experimental. And doesn’t prove anything about annealing improving in seating.

So you ss tumble, anneal, size, prime. ......... is that correct?

I used to anneal after every third firing of my Lapua .308Win brass for 1000BR competition. After 15 cycles I still didn't have any cracked necks or loose primer pockets. However, after more research, I may start doing it after every firing for my RPR .243Win. When I was annealing for the .308, I was using the torch and drill method with good results. I'm now using the molten salt bath kit from Ballistic Recreations. It'll do 100 cases in less than 60 minutes (40 minute setup time, 20 minute actual annealing).

Reactions: Broc

This is the system I recently picked up and will use from now on:

https://ballisticrecreations.ca/

Previously I did the torch/drill method but the salt bath rocks compared to that and is considerably more consistent and much faster. If you have the cash to buy one of the fancy annealers then go for it, they are really nice, but on a budget I really like the salt bath method.

I've got the EZ Anneal induction annealer and it is so quick simple to anneal that I do it after every firing. If I was annealing some other way I'm not sure I would.

Every time. I am over 20x on two batches of 50 of 6 5 creed and one batch of 100of 6.5x47L.

That is crazy, I just found a split neck on one of my Lapua brass in 308. A little disappointed to say the least! It was shot three times and found it after I loaded it for the forth time. have not annealed at all with this brass. Wondering if I should start.

That is crazy, I just found a split neck on one of my Lapua brass in 308. A little disappointed to say the least! It was shot three times and found it after I loaded it for the forth time. have not annealed at all with this brass. Wondering if I should start.

If you have a split neck after 3 firings I would say its not the brass but that you have something else going on

annealerbc1000x355.jpg
BC1000x600.jpg

http://bkceng.com/?page_id=111

What lube and lube method are y’all using that you do t have to re-tumble? I would love to get away from it.
I use Redding wax. I use to use to apply the wax first. Then dip it in Redding graphite powder. Now, I just use the wax only. resize, wipe off the acces wax off, then stage them on the case tray for powder drop.

I use Redding wax. I use to use to apply the wax first. Then dip it in Redding graphite powder. Now, I just use the wax only. resize, wipe off the acces wax off, then stage them on the case tray for powder drop.

Are you neck or full length sizing?

I just started annealing the poor man's way with a torch and a shell holder mounted to a drill LOL. It works surprisingly well, with my PRS rifle I started annealing my brass after every firing and was able to drop the SD down to around 6 or 7.

I did also try annealing for my 308 Gas gun just to see if I could accurize the ammo by neck expanding with a mandrel, annealing, weight sorting, etc... it worked and I got my SD down into the 9 and 10 range however the gas gun beats up the brass so it has to be tossed after about 4 or 5 firings. Not sure if it's really worth it, but it's what I have to do in the semi-auto platform to keep it sub minute.

I run a gas gun as well, and have found tuning the gas block has reduced my case damage significantly... running the JP GS-10 on my 6.5 creed, now just trying to get into annealing without going completely broke...

every firing. retired a 6XC barrel and 300 brass after 20-25 firings. primer pockets main reason for failure.

every firing. retired a 6XC barrel and 300 brass after 20-25 firings. primer pockets main reason for failure.
You might be able to get additional firings by moving to S&B primers once the brand you are using don't grip the sides of the primer pocket. The S&B's have a slightly larger diameter and are hard to seat in most brands of new brass. In my testing of primers, they performed as well as CCI's. I plan to try it when my primer pockets get loose with the CCI's.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
just got my annealeez this week. Takes a few minutes to setup, but then spits out annealed cases every 5 seconds by itself. Very consistent. Cases size and seat so smoothly now.

I deprime, tumble, anneal, size, deburr/chamfer, prime and seat.