• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing

Mdt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2020
Texas
IF shooting Lapua brass -What are the benefits of annealing the brass?
How often should brass be annealed?

I t prevents work hardening, I anneal every time but I am kinda a freak. However I get twelve to fifteen loads a case too. If you do a search I am sure you will find a wealth of information.

And if you don't like the answer you get just read on. No shortage of experts on annealing. No shortage of opinions either.

Reactions: bunny too
-standardizes neck-brass hardness...related to consistent resizing and neck tension
-every time after the second loading/firing cycle

get an AMP and don’t mess around with torches and temp-laq, etc.

Reactions: BuLLet
I shoot mostly Lapua, and I anneal every third firing. I tried annealing every time and it was fine, but I did not notice any benefit on neck tension consistency. After 3 firings, I do feel a difference, so that’s when I do it.

I agree on getting an AMP machine, I haven’t seen a better solution. Safe and easy to use.

The benefits of annealing downrange are many... but many do it solely to prevent case necks from cracking due to the work hardening that occurs from firing and then resizing the brass. (Imagine bending a paper clip back and forth over and over... in no time it'll break: that's "work hardening").

Annealing every firing is best for accuracy, consistency, etc... but every 3-4 firing if you're just trying to keep your brass from dying prematurely. That's for Lapua or any other brand of brass really.

An AMP is the way, but even the DIY drill/torch method is worth doing if that's what you got.

Reactions: Baddog 0302
Lapua or not, once the case is fired and resized it gets work hardened. The paper clip analogy above is a good one. It'll only take so much before it gives. Depending on your setup, it could go several firings or just a couple.

I anneal after the first and every firing. I don't know when it'll work harden enough to effect neck tension. But I know if I anneal the same way each time, it'll stay consistent.

Id imagine annealing effects spring back as well. Which will further effect tension.

I run a benchsource and can't see a reason to upgrade to an AMP. I don't shoot huge volume and have enough brass to keep me shooting. When I get half way through a batch, I will run it through my process. Anneal, size, trim chamfer and debur.

I anneal each firing. I use a simple water bath and a torch on a rotating tray. I prefer the water as a heat sync to keep from softening the case wall too.

Reactions: Baddog 0302
People will tell you every firing (what I do), every three, five, etc. It's your choice. The more often the better, granted the way you anneal every case is CONSISTENT. It's just up to you how often is worth your time.

Brass life
Accurate sizing
Consistent neck tension

you don’t need to spend a fortune to do it and it takes 3-10 seconds per case.
I typically anneal every fourth loading

Annealing and realistic pressures and you can get excellent brass life.

Reactions: Cr1775