• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anniston purchase

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
So, I had to go to the CMP in Anniston, AL, to pick up some M1 Garand ammo for work. While I was there, I started looking, drooling, etc., when Orest Michaels came up and struck up a conversation (GREAT guy, btw). I was looking at the Kimbers, and he pointed me to the "rusty" section, with Kimbers for $400! Well, I had seen rusty rifles from the CMP before, (and bought a few), so my expectations were actually quite low. It was when I began looking through them, however, that I realized what a find they were. After doing my selection rituals, I picked out a beautiful Kimber, walnut curly stock, no razor cuts, and I couldn't find any rust. So, I took it to the counter, and they couldn't find any rust. It was LNIB, and it went home with me for a paltry $423 out the door. That included sights, box, manual and other et al from the CMP. When I got it home, I spent a couple of hours taking it all apart and cleaning out the cosmoline (not too difficult). While apart, I also lightened the trigger to less than two pounds-- still crisp, still safe, but oh so nice. The only rust I found was on the rear sight set, which had been inside a rust-inhibit envelope, inside a sealed plastic bag. That came of when I touched it with steel wool.

What a great find. I'll try to get some pictures when I get the chance. Another great experience through the CMP.

Oh, and the 30 cans of ammo were in great shape, too!

Re: Anniston purchase

Cool, Congrats on your "Rusty" Kimber. Definitely need pictures or it didn't happen.....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...pictures or it didn't happen.....
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yup, that
grin.gif

OK, finally got my camera working again (I love digital, but they have issues at times):
DSC_5427.jpg

DSC_5431.jpg

DSC_5430.jpg

DSC_5429.jpg

[url="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/insectguy/DSC_5428.jpg"]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/insectguy/DSC_5428.jpg[/url][/IMG}
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/insectguy/DSC_5428.jpg

I have been considering one of these Kimbers for months now after hearing from a friend that the "rust" was a non-issue. I may have to make the 6 hour hike up there to check out the selection. Seems like you got yourself a very nice specimen there! Hope she shoots as good as she looks.

I wouldn't have been disappointed with any of the rusty ones-- it was mere surface rust. By being there, I could pick one without the knife cuts.

Nice price for one of them! There are a few out here at the range and they shoot nice for the 6 bills they normally go for.
Your lucky to be within range for the "no razor" hand pick.
The Ohio store is around 9 hours each way for me so its a no go.
Enjoy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what is with the razor cuts?</div></div>

Careless people opening boxes with utility knives they don't know how to use properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no sh!t? wow, thats just ass </div></div>
I wondered the same thing a while back and this was what I found on rimfirecentral.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone doing serial number verification, before the rifles were given to the CMP, sliced the bags open with a razor knife and put a razor cut into the left side of most of the Kimber rifles. Some have no cuts, many cuts are relatively minor and some are real bad. </div></div>

Insectguy,
What type of aperture rubber is that and where are they available? I like it.

And I'm heading back down to Anniston in a couple of weeks. I may have to pick up another if I can find a cherry like that one.

great find man! I'm always amazed of the gems that come out of that facility. I was stationed down within a short drive from there and went to CMP south probably 15 times buying treasures. I bought a carbine one trip, a rack grade inland and it was after I got home that I found that it had an original high wood "I" cut Irwin Pederson stock. Now just need the IP metal to go in it. Bought a M44 for dirt cheap once also from there, shoots like a champ.

I've looked at those Kimbers but a time or two, wishin I woulda bought one now. Let us know how it shoots, again, awsome find!

I like my Kimber...i got a find also for 300 a couple years ago..no sights so I put a bsa 6x24 and I am impressed with how it shoots...I love CMP