• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ANNOUNCING Steiner Military/Tactical Rifle Scopes

Re: ANNOUNCING Steiner Military/Tactical Rifle Scopes

That's damn good news! I'm glad it seems like a winner! Pretty interested in that 5-25

Thanks Franks. Thats good news. I'll be ready for one when they become avaialble.

Looks like these are starting to hit the streets anyone have one yet?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/186796/...t-reticle-matte
186796.jpg

I've got the 4-16 model, and it's exactly like Frank said - it's really long! It's as long as my S&B 5-25, which is not a short scope either. I'd say that aside from the length my only other complaint is that the Gen2 mil dot has half Mil marks that are so tall/long that at first glance it appears that they are the whole Mil marks as apposed to the half Mil marks. It's easy to overlook it, but it's a little odd at first.

I have yet to run a box test, but so far it appears to be tracking very well. The turrets are very "Premier-ish" and that feel good and solid. The illumination is fantastic on it as well.

The glass and field of view is easily better than NF, and very similar to Premier, which is pretty impressive. I'm actually really surprised by the quality and price of this scope. It's really hard to purchase a NF when looking at this scope as well. The NF is proven, but the features, quality, and price of this scope is going to be very difficult to beat. I think it's currently my second favorite scope behind my S&B's because it is so nice and yet it cost $1200 less than my S&B's.

I highly recommend one if you can get your hands on them.

I have heard conflicting information from Steiner and what is listed for the total elevation adjustments. Have you found how much total elevation you have?

Well, it's supposed to have 20 mils of elevation, but I guess I haven't necessarily tested it. It's a double turn elevation with 10 mils per turn. It has a little tactile button that pops out on the second turn kinda like the Premier.

I'd like to try the 5-25. I liked the looks of this scope when I seen the guys posting about it from SHOT.

Anybody know when the 5-25 might show up?

I second the comments made by UncleBenji. I just took delivery of my own 4x16. My comparisons are against a S&B 5x25 and a S&B 4x16. Dimensional complarisons are spot on. The elevation turret on mine is a CCW two turn 20 mil affair with a second turn tacticale indicator that pops forward out of the base of the turret. I have not mounted this scope yet. The only optical test I have performed thus far is spotting an industrial area at night, about 2.5 miles away. I am able to discern individual people walking about at this distance. A friend purchased a Weaver tactical 3x15, and this scope could not even come close.

I hope to provide a more detailed report in the not too distant future.

If anybody gets a 5-25 model please post up.

I'm looking at maybe getting a Steiner.

For those members that have one, have you done extensive test on it?

I had oppoturnity to try 5-25 pre-production version briefly while ago. Optically and mechanically it was already in same -or very, very close- level with other german top end scopes. Got Zeiss Diavari and PM2, thinking to try Steiner next.

JL how does the glass compare to a Premier?

Unfortunately I didnt have reference scopes for comparsion when I tried it.
But I think its safe to say that they will go directly in same league with top end brands- optically too.

Wasnt too surprised -have used 10x42 Military R binos years already and compared them against Leica and others. Their binos are optically very good as well.

Ok, so I got the opportunity to shoot my Stiner 4-16 this weekend and I was very impressed. I had it next to my S&B 5-25 and though it's not quite as good, I think a large part of my viewing experience was minimized buy the Steiner's G2 Mildot which is enormous compared to my P4F - so perhaps it's not apples to apples.

The glass was easily better than my NF's and had good edge to edge clarity throughout the magnification range. I zeroed the scope, shot it, then adjusted the turrets up and down for windage and elevation, then came back to my zero point which was spot on. I know, it's not a true box test, but I didn't have much time.

All in all, I'd say it's the second best scope I've ever owned, behind my S&B's as far as clarity alone is concerned. I haven't owned it long enough to comment of longevity of durability, but first impressions lead me to think that it's going to be a winner. I'll try to answer questions if anyone has them, but I'd like to see LL's review on the scope.

UncleBenji, what did you mean by Steiner G2 Mildot being enormous compared to the P4F? Do you mean too thick?

Thanks for letting me know.

It is a thicker reticle than the p4f. I happen to like it though. I shoot a 3-12 p4f and the G2 mildot size really doesn't bother me, even on 25x. All I have is a cellphone pic of the p4 ( not the f) and the g2.

G2 on 25x
25x.jpg

and an sb 3-20 p4 on 20x
photo2-1.jpg

I'm looking at the steiners scopes but curious about a few things, could use some feedback from the owners or others in the know.

The 5-25 model is built in Germany and the others here in the US. Anyone know if there is quality build or glass difference? The PST has appears to have that difference curious if that is the case here as well.

I'm currently up in the air between the 4-16 and the 5-25 model, leaning towards the 4-16 but which one would anyone suggest if it was used in comps on a .308?

My 700 has a Rock M24/40 barrel. Low rings correct or too low?

Flyingbullseye

Looks interesting although the poorly translated flyers were painful to read :-(

I bought the 4-16 model about a week ago. It really is the nicest scope I've ever used. Really super clear glass, turrets are big, accurate, with loud positive clicks, just everything about this scope is amazing. Not to mention I picked mine up for $1600!!

@Flyingbullseye - I'm tryin to figure out the same thing. But I ordered some badger ordnance rings and Im pretty sure with these size bells you'll need high rings most of the time. Rings I ordered were part number #306-75. If you care at all. I'll let you know how they work out when I get them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the 4-16 model about a week ago. It really is the nicest scope I've ever used. Really super clear glass, turrets are big, accurate, with loud positive clicks, just everything about this scope is amazing. Not to mention I picked mine up for $1600!!

@Flyingbullseye - I'm tryin to figure out the same thing. But I ordered some badger ordnance rings and Im pretty sure with these size bells you'll need high rings most of the time. Rings I ordered were part number #306-75. If you care at all. I'll let you know how they work out when I get them. </div></div>

Where the fuck did you pick it up for $1600?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the 4-16 model about a week ago. It really is the nicest scope I've ever used. Really super clear glass, turrets are big, accurate, with loud positive clicks, just everything about this scope is amazing. Not to mention I picked mine up for $1600!!

@Flyingbullseye - I'm tryin to figure out the same thing. But I ordered some badger ordnance rings and Im pretty sure with these size bells you'll need high rings most of the time. Rings I ordered were part number #306-75. If you care at all. I'll let you know how they work out when I get them. </div></div>

Where the fuck did you pick it up for $1600? </div></div>

This little gun shop in my area. Called Curts Discount Shooters Supply. Great guys there. Anything you buy there (note this is a AR specialty shop) like a quad rail or barrel or whatnot, you buy the part, they install for free. Great guys and awesome service. He tells you exactly what he pays for items and offers you a really reasonable price. You can even barter with the guys if you spend a little bit.

Anyway, ya that's where i got it. Just sittin behind the glass. Saw the sticker said 1600, did a quick google search to see that anywhere else people were asking 2300. So I said "I'll take it!".

Damn, they have any more? The best price I found was 2099 w/ free shipping.

Flyingbullseye

good snag Rackit, wish I could find a price like that!

Haha well... Anyone in the Portland Oregon area can go get one, I they get anymore in. I was actually hoping to get the 8-25 (? I think that's the other scope Steiner offered) and Curt from Curts (go figure) has been wanting that same one but hasn't been able to get one, which is why he actually parted with the 4-16. And I'm thankful he did.
smile.gif

I must have missed it - are they CW or CCW?

The turrets are CCW I believe. I don't have the scope in front of me but I'm 99% sure.

The 4x16x50, 3-12x56, and 3-12x50 models sold in the US have CCW Elevation Knobs with 1/10 mRad markings. A handful of the 5-25x56 have been sold in the US with CW Elevation Knobs w/Centimeter Click markings. Both CCW and CW are being offered in the US on the 5-25 only, but with the CCW becoming available later this summer the CW version will become Special order only.

I just have to decide which mode I want. The 4-16 or the 5-25. Decisions, decisions.

Flyingbullseye

We have been abusing two 4-16s extensively (shooting them at least once a week at local and big matches) for almost a year and they are bomb proof. I am working on a full review. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it. We will have ours at the Score High match this weekend. Find me to check them out! (RJ)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have been abusing two 4-16s extensively (shooting them at least once a week at local and big matches) for over a year and they are bomb proof. I am working on a full review. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it. We will have ours at the Score High match this weekend. Find me to check them out! (RJ) </div></div>

Brother, if I wasn't 5 states away you better believe I'd look you up. lol Since you're using them in competition which one would you suggest, 4-16 or 5-25?

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brother, if I wasn't 5 states away you better believe I'd look you up. lol Since you're using them in competition which one would you suggest, 4-16 or 5-25 Flyingbullseye </div></div>

I think it is a factor of the distances you shoot and the target sizes. For steel prairie dog matches where we shoot 5" targets at 550 yards, I like the higher power, although the 16x is enough. For larger than MOA size targets, I like the 16x. I think the reticle of a 16x at 16x is more user-friendly than a 25x at 16x in a FFP scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Winchester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UncleBenji, what did you mean by Steiner G2 Mildot being enormous compared to the P4F? Do you mean too thick?

Thanks for letting me know.</div></div>

Yeah, it's very thick at higher magnification as compared to the P4F which I've come very used to. I also don't like that the hash marks are so much larger than the mildots. At first glance you think that the hash marks are the mils and the dots are the half-mils. It's a bit annoying, but I got over it.

Sounds like the 5-25 is the suggestion. I will be shooting silhouette (ram, PG ect) to 500m, and high power to 600 yds.

Flyingbullseye

Ya I've talked I a few people about the same question because I too wanted a higher magnification than "just" 16x. I wanted anywhere from 22-25x. But a lot of the guys I've talked to have told me, especially when dealing with the FFP scopes, that the higher mag makes everything really kinda fat and sometimes harder to be more precise (go figure). And depending when and where you're shooting a high mag may give you more problems with mirage. So I'm the end I settled for the 16x. I think it'll give me plenty of power to pretty much do whatever I want to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And depending when and where you're shooting a high mag may give you more problems with mirage. </div></div>
With a variable power scope, you can always dial down the magnification to better handle mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rackit313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And depending when and where you're shooting a high mag may give you more problems with mirage. </div></div>
With a variable power scope, you can always dial down the magnification to better handle mirage. </div></div>

I understand that but it's more noticeable at higher mag ranges. And if you're buying the higher mag scope but dialing it back down every time to avoid the mirage kinda defeats the point of getting the higher mag scope. That's all I'm saying. I know you can get it at really any power but obviously it's more suceptable at the higher ranges.

Here is a pic of the Steiner 1-4. The reticle is awesome. Daylight (VERY) bright.... (There are rumors of expanding it to a 1-5.)

htbuw5.jpg

Nice Quickdraw. I ordered the 5-25 last week. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic of the Steiner 1-4. The reticle is awesome. Daylight (VERY) bright.... (There are rumors of expanding it to a 1-5.)

htbuw5.jpg
</div></div>

That looks pretty sweet! I have an eotech now on my AR but a Steiner 1-4 or 1-5 would be pretty awesome! Nice pic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Quickdraw. I ordered the 5-25 last week. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

Mind me asking what it cost you?

Anyone have a review for the 1-4 ?? I know there are quality scopes..but damn..the price is high..

According to what I've read here, the Steiner and Burris units are made at the same factory. Note the similarities between the Steiner 1-4x and the Burris MTAC 1-4x. While the reticle illumination may be brighter in the Steiner, I would have difficulty in paying $1895 for the Steiner while the almost identical MTAC is $398.95 and built on the same line. I question what makes the Steiner version more expensive other than the name. If anyone has any technical facts to explain what the differences are in these two scopes that make the Steiner almost 5x as much, please advise.