• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

Re: *Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle *

...how many rifles got ordered...???...

...how many people changed from 260 Rem to 6.5 Creedmore...???...

...did you sell any 6.5 Creedmore rifles...???...

...I would like to get one, especialy now that the 6.5 Creedmore is an option, but I will not be able to come up with a deposit by the 15th...

...I am really wishing I didn't buy a Buell at this point...not that I don't like the bike...I just got sucked in by the blow out prices...

...if only there was a little more time...when it snows, I make some good $$$...

...I was cruising the AAC site and did not see any 6.5mm supressors offered there...I assume they will be adding that size to their line up at some point in the future...???...

...I am well aware that these are not bench rest rifles, and I am not looking for any "guarantees", (eye roll icon), but I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> wondering what kind of accuracy we can expect from them...

...is 1/2 MOA an unreasonable expectation...???...

Re: *Announcing the 2009 Sniper's Hide Build Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I was cruising the AAC site and did not see any 6.5mm supressors offered there...I assume they will be adding that size to their line up at some point in the future...???...

...I am well aware that these are not bench rest rifles, and I am not looking for any "guarantees", (eye roll icon), but I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> wondering what kind of accuracy we can expect from them...

</div></div>

The suppressor you would use is the 7.62SD. It will work for any rifle under 7.62mm. I believe Rob01 on here uses a .338 suppressor on his .308.

The gun will shoot, you don't need to worry about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I was cruising the AAC site and did not see any 6.5mm supressors offered there...I assume they will be adding that size to their line up at some point in the future...???...

</div></div>

.30 cal will work fine

the 1/2 MOA comes down to the nut behind the bolt.....

...thanks, guys...looking at SD model now...

http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=51

...I don't know much about supressors at this point...

...why not use AAC's 6.8mm supressor...???...is is designed for a smaller cartridge case...???...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the 1/2 MOA comes down to the nut behind the bolt..... </div></div>

...I'll not bore you with tales of my shooting prowess...that's all I wanted to hear...(thumbs up icon)

...ah, I think I get it now...

...it the correct mounting system, no...???...and the bore size is not too important as long as it is large enough...???...

...what are the chances of getting an AAC silencer made by Rachel's hands...???...
smirk.gif

...I found an AAC dealer I already know right down the street...
wink.gif

lowlight..what scope is on that rifle in the video? did i miss it>?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lowlight..what scope is on that rifle in the video? did i miss it>? </div></div>It's the Vortex Viper.

We have some spots left in the group buy on the rifles. I have talked to Frank, and this is what we are going to do.

I will take orders for the rifles until the final 25 are ordered. The difference is that the Price will be $3600.00 for the base rifle. With $1800.00 required for the deposit. The accessories will remain the same price. 7 month build time from the date of received deposit.

The reason for the price increase is that rifles ordered from now on will be treated like a custom build. I have to order a stock and barrel on a case by case basis, and they will not be built in a batch, so all of this requires more time and effort on my part. They will be built to the exact same specs as the earlier rifles.

Thanks for all of the interest.

Please PM, call or email if you have any questions.
801-602-5776
[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason for the price increase is that rifles ordered from now on will be treated like a custom build. </div></div>
Price still looks good!!!
Does this mean one can now choose from a wider variety of calibers within the SA (.243...6.5X47Lapua...WSM's...ect) ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason for the price increase is that rifles ordered from now on will be treated like a custom build. </div></div>
Price still looks good!!!
Does this mean one can now choose from a wider variety of calibers within the SA (.243...6.5X47Lapua...WSM's...ect) ? </div></div>

The way I see it, if it were chambered in something other than the original cartridges offered, then it wouldn't be a "genuine" SHR build? You could always order those other cartridges as a "spare" barrel, but "primary" caliber should be one of those three listed. Nothing changed except the deadline?

Cheers,

Bill

...I might as well come right out and ask it...

...what kinds of scopes are people putting on these rifles...???...

...can't see putting a cheap scope on a rifle like this, but I will have enuff trouble paying for it as it is...

...so far I have considered :

Vortex 5-20 x 50 Razor HD

USO ST-10 w/ERGO

NF 3.5-15 NXS F1

Super Sniper 10x40HD

Vortex 4-16 x 50 Viper PST

...at this point I am strongly considering the Vortex Razor at one end, although I don't know if I need the magnification, and the Super Sniper 10x40HD at the other, as I have always been comfortable with a 10x scope...

...as I have said elsewhere, I am thinking that the <span style="font-weight: bold">NF 3.5-15 x 50 F1</span> might be the best compromise and the Ideal Scope for the SH 2009 build rifle...???...

cant really go wrong with any of those scopes. I dont have an order in for the build but am running a F1 and have nothing but good things to say about them. With all of your choices, i wouldnt feel the least bit hampered by any of them

...a fat lot o help that is...LoL...!!!... .!.:D.!.

...seriously, though, you don't think the Viper is a pos unworthy of the fine build of 09...???...

if they pan out to what they are supposed to be, I will be buyin a few of the PSTs...the Razor is also on the short list of things to buy. Man this hobby is expensive
laugh.gif

its the internet bro....you will hear good and bad about everything...and its worth exactly what you paid for it. I will wait for the about 6 months of the PSTs being delivered to see what the consensus is on them and any problems that may arise. I got bit hard in the ass by the Premier bug and refuse from now on to be a Beta Tester on my own dime for a company. But again i told you im rocking a NF F1 at the moment and it hasnt let me down yet, its actually stupid reliable

...well, it sounds like the PST's people looked over a the shot show left something to be desired...

...it's not like I am in any hurry...

...for what it's worth, it sounds like the "NF F1" may well be the best suited scope to the overall paramaters of this rifle, although I do not know if more than 15 x of magnifacation would be of value...

on my F1 i run it around 12 power most of the time, also when i had my PH 5-25 i ran it on about 14 and only cranked it up to spot my shots on paper.

...what are the consequenses of the tight bore on the .308...???...

...the first thing that comes to mind is higher pressure with a given amount of powder...this will reduce the max load....won't this reduce pefromasnce, too...???...

...will the tight bore reduce bore life to any degree...???...

...are there any limitations imposed upon reloading for a tight bore...???...would there be any advantage to swaging the bullets...???...can you shoot any regular factoy loads in it...???...how aboot the Hornady Lt Mag loads or something like that...???....

...I remember there being a big deal aboot the two bore sizes in the 8x57 Mauser, and am wondering how that issue is not a problem here...

The tight bore is really geared toward the guys using factory ammo. It enhances velocity in the short barrel. Guys that are reloading have to work up loads, just like usual.

You will reach max pressures and increased velocity with a lower powder charge. I have loads that I recommend based on the the tight bore/chamber that we are using.

It shouldn't have any problems with any factory ammo.

...from what I have been reading the guys running hot 155 grn .308 loads trying to equal .260 Rem ballistics are having primer pockets loosen @ 5 rnds and are burning up their barrles at a remarkably .60 Rem like rate...

...I also read that the tight bore is known to reduce bore life...

(..do you feel there is any truth to that...???...it's just something I read on the internet...)

...so, I guess there is indeed, no free lunch...

...still, it's nice to find 11 pages of ammo at Midway...

I have not heard or seen reduced barrel life from the tight bore.

Guys trying to make the 308 flat by using 155's, are most likely pushing them as hard as possible. Therefore less barrel and brass life.

Consistency is more important than max velocity. Trying to making the 308 into something it isn't, and then complaining about the performance is a waist of time. Take a 308 for what it is and accept that you are going to have to hold more wind, or pick something that shoots flatter naturally by design.

Great looking build George...can't wait to see some. Do you have any pictures yet of the production action with the spiral fluted bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Guys trying to make the 308 flat by using 155's, are most likely pushing them as hard as possible. Therefore less barrel and brass life.

Consistency is more important than max velocity. Trying to making the 308 into something it isn't, and then complaining about the performance is a waist of time. Take a 308 for what it is and accept that you are going to have to hold more wind, or pick something that shoots flatter naturally by design. </div></div>

I love this statement.

Any issues w/feeding? See at 3:09 checking on the round going in chamber, later at 3:26 it did not p/u the round until a re-cycle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any issues w/feeding? See at 3:09 checking on the round going in chamber, later at 3:26 it did not p/u the round until a re-cycle. </div></div>

Just going from what I was taught at RO by Frank and Jacob. He appeared to be press checking the round..

That or you can get the “click of death” and owe Frank Red Bull or Jacob some “Dos Equis” (that is at room temperature and has not been refrigerated available by special contract at Squirrelys )

I am just sayin.....

With any magazine fed rifle there can be an issue of feeding, which is why we do the press check. We see it time and time again that in some cases the rounds just don't feed.

The issue was, when there was only two rounds left in the magazine, one risked hanging up. This was a prototype rifle, with a prototype action and bottom metal. The fix was simple, adjust the height of the magazine through the bottom metal. George was well aware of it, told me about before hand, and the fix was taken care of before the build was announced.

But understand it is not hard to have a magazine fed bolt action not feed, especially with the double stack AI mags, they are have room as they are designed from AI to be top loaded if necessary. If you watch the video of me shooting my AW 1.5 during the barrel heat video you will see me get the "click of death" with my AW -- so it can happen with any rifle.

it's a non issue, I just knew the mag was getting low and I checked.

I thought the mag might be the issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We will be getting one. </div></div>

What flavor are we getting Mike?

if it werent for that whole "money" thing....

Pardon an ignorant question: is there a new rifle build every year? I.e. when will the next build likely be - 2010? 2011?

Tnx!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are also in the process of doing a load work up specific to this rifle. We will be using the 139 Scenar and Remington brass. Once we are complete, 260 Rem ammunition will be available specific to this build. </div></div>

...will you be doing anything with the 6.5 Creedmor or is that little bitch still an orphen...???...

I have the SuperSniper HD 10X on a .300 WinMag 700 Rem. Love it. Haven't looked through all of them you've listed, but that one was head and shoulders above anything else I saw in the price range. The glass is great, it is mil mil, and at least by appearance, it looks like you could use it as a crowbar in a pinch.

Just my .02

Boog

...thanks for the feedback, Brian...I am very comfortable with a 10X scope...

...I am leaning heavily in that direction at this point, although I still wonder if the badger rings are worth the investment over the SS rings...

...hey...are we in the rite forum...???...

How goes the builds George? Any news?

Thanks!

All of the components are on order, and everything is on schedule at this moment. McMillan might be a little early on the stocks, but I haven't received barrels yet, so that will do little good to help the time frame.

Actions and bottom metal are near completion for all of the rifles. I will get some progress pictures up when there is something good to show.