• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Annual "Hunting Based" steel shootout

Twelve208

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2009
SE Idaho
First time doing this was last year, and this year is rolling around for the 2nd Annual Invitational "High Country Steel Shootout".
A little back story..I live in a small ranching town, with some high country lookouts,great hunting,that offers some of the most challenging shooting experiences .(High/Low elevation,Deep canyons/Extreme angles and throw Idaho winds in the mix). Bear in mind..great folk shirt off their back type and same for me...but sometimes the bar stool shooting expertise gets a little deep.So the idea "sparked" to set all my steel, and get the rowdy bunch on the mountain! Enough talk lets walk.
The crowd here is without a doubt "shoot the wolves" chip on the shoulder hunting based type(ditto),so I based the stages on hunting "senarios".It was a humbling time for some, yet a fun time for all, and only more interest this year.Now that its planned for this year, I have cranked down the screws for the stages.Things like time pressure,offhand shots, to shooting at bigfoot,AND a possible ISIS invasion with a tannerite IED's involved..Just wanted to throw a line out to the hide, and see if they had any "ideas" or "scenarios" that would be a fun and challenging.I'm open to any and all ideas..
Here are some pictures from last year,there was a brutal wind and rained half the time but hey..If were worried about the weather,lets trade the guns in for a golf cart,duckbill hats,a tee time and a 30 pack.

Attachments

• photo57631.jpg
    photo57631.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 18
  • photo57632.jpg
    photo57632.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 14
  • photo57633.jpg
    photo57633.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 18
  • photo57634.jpg
    photo57634.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 18
  • photo57635.jpg
    photo57635.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 15
Looks like fun! Couple of ideas from the Alleghany Sniper Challenge here on the east coast.

-100 yard zero. Set up rifle (not loaded), walk to target. Do jumping jacks, push ups, etc.. then sprint the 100 yards to rifle and engage for 5 shots. Maybe have them hike up a steep hill and then shoot their 100 yard zero shots, and timed so they can't calm back down.

Engaging multiple targets at various distances, either know or unkown, without being able to touch your optics! No adjustments, forcing them to use holdovers/unders. Always a fun stage.

Shooting off a backpack,rock, or the side of a tree is always more realistic for hunting.

Good stuff thanks for the input! An idea for one of the targets is an unknown distance/location you have to hike over the "ridge" locate/range/and engage in xxx seconds from an old downed tree..Could also add an "endurance" related scenario..Get some huffin and puffin going!

Whenever I'm hunting out west there tends to be lots of huffing and puffing... Always seems like you're hiking up, never down! Any stage that has some ups and is timed would make it very realistic!