• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anodizing Larue Rings?

paramarine

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
East Coast
I'm buying some of Larue's xtra low rings to mount my Leupold Mark 4 3-10 on my LRB M25.

I'm thinking about having them anodized in FDE to match the scope.

Has anyone here had their rings anodized before? Or will doing so adversely affect accuracy?

I KNOW I can have them painted, duracoated, etc. instead. That isn't my question. I'm asking specifically about anodizing.

Thanks and Semper fi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The anodize house will have to strip the black anodize first so make sure all hardware is removed as steel/stainless steel will corrode. A hard coat anodize will be relatively thin (tenths to a few thousandths) and the coating will be more even then paint. As long as you torque things down properly and nothing moves (as with all scope rings), you won't have an issue with accuracy once you zero.

One thing I will say is that in my experience, the anodize colors vary from batch to batch. Since your rings will be done in the same batch they will match each other but may differ from the initial color you specified. In regards to matching, painting/duracoat/cerakote are much more consistent.

FYI when I anodize parts, I usually use standard MIL-A-8625: MIL-A-8625

I use Type II (conventional) for most things and Type III (hard anodize) for things that will be run hard/exposed to the elements

DON'T do it!
Stripping old anociation is very risky and it ALWAYS removes material.
That means that tolerances might get destroyed.

It's far better to coat them with approperiate coating such as Ceracoat, duracoat, guncoat or whatever, as that not will change the internal tolerances.

Removing anodize generally removes between 0.0005-0.005" of material (you would have to talk to the anodize house). Re-anodizing will build the material back up (oxidation layer) to a certain extent (you can specify the thickness). I do not know what tolerances manufacturers hold the rings to so I can't say if this would put the rings out of spec. You can always spec a thicker anodize and lap the rings.

Another idea is to ask the anodize house if they can mask the inside of the rings when removing the original anodize. I do not know if this is possible as I have never tried. I have only masked holes and features on parts before anodizing. Also, be sure to ask about effects on threaded holes as they can get buggered up form this process.

You have to ask yourself if this endeavor is worth it to you (your time and money). If I were you I would find a coat/paint that matches close and be done with it.