• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing anone use 6al/4v titanium for custom action

Re: anone use 6al/4v titanium for custom action

its strong enough , just expensive and harder to machine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: specopsbrooklyn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very hard to machine </div></div>

What he said. I have a tiny bit of experience with it in a power plant setting. We were rolling tubes of it into a tubesheet, to seal the tubes against it. Only one try to get it right, if you had to reroll a tube, it work hardened so much, you couldn't get a good roll, and consequently a poor seal, it leaked.

I am thinking if you made an action from it, you'll have to stress relieve the blank several times during the process. Can't imagine threading the stuff.

Corrosion resistance is good though!

Have seen many who have had to sleeve Ti to get any sort of accurate threads due to it hardening, if you decide to go with Ti, good luck, i hope you're highly experienced...

I, on the other hand, would recommend using 17-4PH SS or 4140PH, just sayin'...

Ive done quite a few actions from Ti, but yes it is hard to machine. Ti dont like to let go of the chips, especially when tapping holes. I never had any problems threading the reciever tennon though. I have two large dia blanks in the shop that are wire EDM cut. You just need to keep the tooling very sharp and lots of coolant. It takes about 3 times longer to machine over standard chrome moly, hence more machine time and the material is spendy.

Dave

Titanium is not that hard. Try inconel or invar for some real fun.

You need the right tooling, speeds & feeds, but most of all the right coolant.
Tap with the wrong stuff and you've screw the pooch.

It really does like to work harden. Even when machining & EDM you have be careful to keep stress cracks from forming on sharp corners.

6al-4v is the easiest ti to machine. Just don't but forged material. Experts only.

John

John F is right; Titanium is not that exotic or hard to machine. The high Nickel Alloys are real pigs to machine.
As a teenager I remember working in one of my fathers machine shops during a college holiday. There was one product that required deephole drilling of multiple holes in a machined Invar Billet. These holes were about 1/4" in dia, and 16-20" long. I think it was the most hated job there.
That shop would handle loads of exotic metals such as Titanium, Invar, Inconel, Kovar, Molybdenum, Beryllium, Albamet. They also machined Ceramics and Optics.