• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another “choose my caliber” question

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Currently have a SA origin with a 223 barrel on it. Drives tacks.

I’ve recently started shooting some competitions, but I am nowhere near a competitive shooter. I’m probably doing 4-5 competitions a year just for fun, I don’t really care where I place as long as I’m improving.

Most of the shooting i do is just long range steel from prone/barricades, usually out to 7/800. Occasionally I’ll get to 1k but it’s rare.

While I’ve enjoyed the 223, it’s hard to be competitive at the competitions. I’d love to use the rifle as a double duty “comp/long range/varmint” rifle.

Should I just stick with the 223, or what caliber would you recommend I go with? Prefer not to be a barrel burner if possible. Doesn’t have to be the hottest trend .

Currently have a SA origin with a 223 barrel on it. Drives tacks.

I’ve recently started shooting some competitions, but I am nowhere near a competitive shooter. I’m probably doing 4-5 competitions a year just for fun, I don’t really care where I place as long as I’m improving.

Most of the shooting i do is just long range steel from prone/barricades, usually out to 7/800. Occasionally I’ll get to 1k but it’s rare.

While I’ve enjoyed the 223, it’s hard to be competitive at the competitions. I’d love to use the rifle as a double duty “comp/long range/varmint” rifle.

Should I just stick with the 223, or what caliber would you recommend I go with? Prefer not to be a barrel burner if possible. Doesn’t have to be the hottest trend .

6BR

I think almost any of the 6mm are just the easy button for 1000 and in. Reasonable barrel life, slip the wind well, minimal recoil. I've shot 6 dasher, creedmoor, and the ghey tiger.

223 loaded long (AICS mag length) with 75ELDM does very well for a number of shooters at 700-800 and occasionally 1000. I really enjoy shooting my 223 "trainer" and I have squadded at PRS events with shooters in Tactical class with 223s launching 75ELDMs (or similar) and they do very well.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
223 loaded long (AICS mag length) with 75ELDM does very well for a number of shooters at 700-800 and occasionally 1000. I really enjoy shooting my 223 "trainer" and I have squadded at PRS events with shooters in Tactical class with 223s launching 75ELDMs (or similar) and they do very well.
You’re not wrong. Maybe I just run what I have until I burn the barrel out. 223 really is a blast to shoot.

The 223 is very good round. Teaches you better wind than the larger calibers. That said if you’re going make the switch, spin up a 6br. It’s going have one of the longest barrel lives for a 6, be more competitive then a 223, 0 recoil, and the easiest load development in your life!! It’s truly the easy button of calibers. I’ve tried 20 tac, 204, 3 223’s, 6br, 6bra, 6 creed, 25 creed, 6.5 creed, 260 rem, 300 winny and 300 Norma. The br’s are just so much in one sweet little package

Got a .223, want it to be a bit more competitive. Try a 6 TCU. Brass is easy to form and fire forms like a charm (Same as 7 TCU. ). No need to change bolt faces, brass is cheaper than anything else mentioned and you will have a round that feeds just fine in your .223 length action.

21CC982D-F829-45B2-AD12-CF3221804AD4.jpeg

Addendum. Quality Cartridge has this brass in stock

Quality 6 TCU Brass

Last edited:
Got a .223, want it to be a bit more competitive. Try a 6 TCU. Brass is easy to form and fire forms like a charm (Same as 7 TCU. ). No need to change bolt faces, brass is cheaper than anything else mentioned and you will have a round that feeds just fine in your .223 length action.

View attachment 8073670

Addendum. Quality Cartridge has this brass in stock

Quality 6 TCU Brass
Don't do this.
A 90 grain 6mm at 2300 FPS.... shoot a 90 grain 223 at 2700 fps. Or how ever fast you want to hotrod it.

At one time a 100 grain bullet was created for the .224 caliber. However, with the 6 TCU, you get a larger powder charge and the capability to use bullets as large as 115 grains. The TCU case is an "improved" version of the basic .223 case and is better created from the .222 Magnum case. The TCU is not a 6x45.

Is the gain that great, probably not, but in my experience in launching long, heavy bullets in small cases, going back a couple of decades, I found that it was hard on the gun.

Building a bolt gun . 223 Rem is like going to a whore house for a hug! Man, step into the 6 Creed, 6BR, 6.5 manbun even. 708, 708AI lovely!

Barrels are consumables. Shoot them out, try new ones! Let'r rip, tater chip! :p
I actually love shooting the 223. I also live in NJ, and our ranges here are extremely limited. Also to hunt coyote here, it’s a max of .25 cal with a max bullet weight of 80 grains. So between shorter ranges and the hunting regs, 223 fit the bill.

Then I got into the prs events and quickly learned that after 650yds, I was getting my ass handed to me. Still enjoy it, but it would be nice to hang with the other guys at 1000.

The last prs event I ran, I was competitive with everyone out to 650, after that I got my ass handed to me, especially with the wind.

Reactions: FredHammer
I actually love shooting the 223. I also live in NJ, and our ranges here are extremely limited. Also to hunt coyote here, it’s a max of .25 cal with a max bullet weight of 80 grains. So between shorter ranges and the hunting regs, 223 fit the bill.

Then I got into the prs events and quickly learned that after 650yds, I was getting my ass handed to me. Still enjoy it, but it would be nice to hang with the other guys at 1000.

The last prs event I ran, I was competitive with everyone out to 650, after that I got my ass handed to me, especially with the wind.
At your PRS matches - what percentage of shots are 600 or less, 700 or less, etc. and how many are at 1000? I bet if you hit every shot at 800 or less you would be top 10 maybe higher.

First things first what are you going to do about the bolt head? Do you have a larger bolt head or will you need to have this one opened up? Once opened up no going back.

6mm's tend to be barrel burners depending on what you go with and unless you reload can be hard to find locally.

6.5CM is hard to pass up since you can find match ammo almost every place in America including a lot of Walmarts! It is not a barrel burner like the 6CM and 243Win and it shoots flatter and bucks wind better than 308Win, 7-08Rem and 260Rem and has less recoil. Again easy to find match ammo for if you do not reload.

I am not a huge fan of the 6.5CM but in the current ammo and component situation in America the last 3 years it does make some sense!

If you asked this 6 years ago I would have said 6BR, 260Rem or 284Win. This last year I have purchased loaded ammo just to get the brass. In fact I have purchased some premium ammo for a few cents more than I can get that same brands premium brass for!

I am even considering building 2 F-Open guns on 6.5CM for this very reason. If I have too I can purchase loaded ammo locally just for the brass if need be. I have had a difficult time getting brass and small rifle primers let alone BR primers or Russian Primers. Even if it is not match grade ammo I pull the bullets and the powder and just use the primed brass if it comes to that!

If all your matches where mid length matches and you did not need to worry about wind you could make due with 90gr. to 100gr. 5.56 bullets. but even that heavy once the wind comes up and you have to shoot 1000 yards it is all over.
you're fucking clueless dude. it's an origin. holy shit.

brb getting 100gr match 223 ammo...no fucking where

go back to savage and ruger amarican land you're worthless here

OP: proof 6 Dasher is the easy button if you reload. otherwise a 223 with 80-85.5gr loaded long (if your barrel can handle the freebore) works very well too. idk what you're shooting now bullet/speed wise

• Haha
Reactions: LR1845
you're fucking clueless dude. it's an origin. holy shit.

brb getting 100gr match 223 ammo...no fucking where

go back to savage and ruger amarican land you're worthless here

OP: proof 6 Dasher is the easy button if you reload. otherwise a 223 with 80-85.5gr loaded long (if your barrel can handle the freebore) works very well too. idk what you're shooting now bullet/speed wise
That guys really does go all out on the stupid platform

6.5 shoots flatter and bucks wind better than a 260…????? I own both. 260 kicks 6.5 CM ass all day long

Build 2 F-Open 6.5 CM guns? Just to go to Walmart if needed and get factory ammo for primed casings….the 284 variants will walk all over that 6.5. Especially shooting pulled factory crap

I used to shoot solely savages

Now I question if I was this clueless when I did…