• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

another 6.5G vs .264 question

db_17_85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
NW North Dakota
All,

I spoke to Satern today (ordered my barrel back in Feb) and apparently they are going to start doing 6.5G again. Kim asked me if I'd like to stick with the .264 or switch to the 6.5. Now that both of these have been out for a while, has anyone noticed a difference? I know the G has a compound angle, etc...but any performance/reliability differences?

Re: another 6.5G vs .264 question

Theyre pretty much the same. The Grendel is an official SAAMI cartridge. The 264 is just a way around legal issues before AA released the Grendel

Good luck with your build.
Satern makes top notch products !

I have a 264 LBC and its a consistent .4 MOA gun if I do my part. I have not had problems chambering Hornady or Lapua brass. My gun shoots both Lapua 123gr Scenars and 123gr SMKs equally well. The 264 LBC has a .295 neck vs. a Grendel .300 neck. I like the tighter neck as I have less neck expansion. Since I reload this should help me get a few more reloads out of the brass before the necks go south. Annealing helps as well.

If you don't plan to reload the point is probably moot. The Grendel and its derivatives are wicked accurate. Satern barrels have a good reputation from what I have read. I don't think you can go wrong with either chamber.

Squin is absolutely correct..you can't go wrong with either chamber. I have a 20" satern lbc and can easily do half moa out to 500 yrds with factory hornady amax. Haven't been able to stretch past 500 yet but I'm sure it will perform just as well.

If you were going to shoot out to 800 to 1000 yds regularly what barrel length would you want? What velocities are you getting at that length?

I have a 20 inch satern grendel barrel on mine and love it. best 5 shot group so far was .290 MOA and its allways under .5 MOA, Im very happy with mine, I just shot a ground hog tonight at 340 yards with it, ground hog was faceing away from me so I shot him in his back and it came out his chest. factory hornady 123 Amax round im getting 2580 FPS at about 6-8 feet from the barrel, my hand loads I matched to the same as factory so I dont have to worry about my POA change. if there making grendel barrels again Ill probably order another one for myself since I love the way it shoots so much.

Seems like I'll be fine whichever way I go. I've gotta say...I'm excited to see the Satern magic for myself! Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. Anyone else who's tried both?