• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another AR Advice

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
I didn't think I needed another AR, but my old unit from Vietnam (2/502 Inf 101st Abn Div) commissioned Sherwood Armory to build this for us.

I couldn't resist so I have to build one. Now to start gathering the rest of the parts.

My others arnt set up for scopes so I'll probably make this an A4 style, since I found a 1:7 16" barrel. I'm thinking of setting it up for 3 gun instead of using my WOA Service Rifle or my SP1.

I'll be asking questions as I haven't built a shorty yet. As to gas tube length and whether I need a different buffer then the standard length buffers.

I'm open for advice.

AX-15-STRIPPEDLOWER502COMM-2T_1_.jpg

You have to admire the use of a service rifle for 3 gun, that's just awesome. I'm not the most knowledgeable, but if you're running a 16" barrel, any standard receiver extension/buffer combo should work (carbine tube/carbine buffer, rifle buffer/rifle tube). It sounds like you already have a barrel, in which case your gas tube length is chosen for you, if I read that wrong and you've only chosen that you want a 1:7 16" then go to midlength gas. They're much softer shooting. If you're interesting in running a suppressor then an adjustable gas block may be nice, or if you just want to tune your rifle a bit more to keep track of your brass. Everything else is simply preference. I hope that helps, and wasn't just some idiot telling you things you already knew.

As you probably know your buffer isn't gonna count on anything, except what stock your running. M4 stock, 16" H buffer for middy, and H/H2 for Carbine length. A2 is gonna be the longer buffer. I shoot H2 buffers in ALL my Carbines, regardless the Caliber, and H's in most my midlength barrels. It is preference, unless your gonna run a FA, or SBR, then it's time to start tuning and timing that puppy.