• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another barrel recommendation

anthonylapoint

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
central CT
I know this has been beat to death but I'm looking for help since it doesnt seem theres many reviews on YHM barrels. I want to build a heavy barrel upper for my AR and was looking at their 20" barrels. The are chrome lined, fluted, 1-8 twist and threaded. Are they decent enough? I don't think they are varmint contour but oh well. I'm looking to reach around 600 yards and will be shooting 69 smk's. I'm hoping its accurate enough for long distance competitions that pop up for teams and one is required to shoot a semi.

I work at a gun store and have access to order from yhm direct, brownells and other suppliers at cost. I want a barrel that's all set, just slap it on and head space and accurate as possible. Any other recommendations will be appreciated too. As long as I can order it from one of our distributors.

Oh, one more thing. I have mixed 5.56 and 223 brass, will I need a Wylde chamber even if I load the rounds the same?

Thanks

I would order a WOA barrel and not look back. Chrome lined generally doesn't mean the greatest accuracy but YMMV. I probably wouldn't mix brass if you're going for accuracy but if you resize it all the same the only difference is volume. The Wylde chamber is the most accurate compromise to allow use of 5.56 ammo. If you want a 20" barrel you can pick up a service rifle model from WOA for generally less than $300 with no discount.

If I was looking for a barrel for your purposes, YHM would not even be on my radar. Black Hole Weaponry makes nice barrels and can be had for not much over $200 if you get them on sale. They just had an August sale.

Thanks for the replies guys. I called White Oak and they offer dealer discounts and etch your company name into the barrel. They are emailing a list of discounts and i think ill be going that direction with a 20" barrel and 1-8 twist.

Thanks again

+1 for WOA for all the reasons stated above. They make excellent barrels. You can spend a lot more and get less. Good luck and keep us posted.

My WOA 18" does this and smaller at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 40
Nothing wrong with a WOA barrel at all. I have a 18" Noveske that doesn't shoot as good as my old WOA barrel.

First Noveske uses Pacnor barrels. Owned one, sold it quickly as did my buddies.

Never had a issue with WOA

Last two have been BCM SS410 barrels and I've been really pleased with them.

First Noveske uses Pacnor barrels. Owned one, sold it quickly as did my buddies.

Never had a issue with WOA

Last two have been BCM SS410 barrels and I've been really pleased with them.

Noveske makes their own barrels. They just happen to use the same facility/equipment as Pacnor, but at different times. This was the case a few years ago anyway.
They are good barrels, just not worth the price over WOA.

My 18" WOA barrel arrives from brownells tomorrow, I hate waiting on the snail mail

Dear lord how in the hell does the Noveske Pacnor rumor still exist. They aren't even the same profile lol

Oh and I recommend Noveske. Save your pennies and get it.

Noveske makes their own barrels. They just happen to use the same facility/equipment as Pacnor, but at different times. This was the case a few years ago anyway.
They are good barrels, just not worth the price over WOA.

Dear lord how in the hell does the Noveske Pacnor rumor still exist. They aren't even the same profile lol

One phone call to Pac Nor told me what I already knew. You're both incorrect. wareagle I did not ask if Noveske still comes into Pac Nor and runs their machines. However it is still a Pac Nor barrel.

Noveske uses Pac Nor barrels. Noveske takes a Pac Nor barrel and turns it down to their dimensions with their proprietary chamber.

Mike @ Tac Ops uses a Krieger barrel turned down to his dimensions with his chamber. This does not make it a Tac Ops barrel its still a Krieger barrel.

Once upon a time I'd seen some Noveske SPR rifles that were the tits. After owning a Recon, my buddy owning a Recon and another buddy owning a SPR. We nicknamed them the coolest 2 moa guns ever.
Are time with them is well documented. The very best we could get them to do was 1.25-1.5 MOA.
My WOA SPR shot a consistent .75 moa with 77smks.

I have no hate for Noveske that truly make some cool shit, but I believe my target more than anything.

Last edited:
Any thought's on the JP 20" barrel?

Undeniably a fantastic barrel. But twice the price.

You do get a matching headspaced bolt along with the SuperMatch barrel. But they aren't cheap.

In the OPs price range, the Odin Works 18" DMR 1/8 rifle length gas barrel would be well worth a look. Tom Hines has a 1" MoA guarantee. The two friends I have using them are in the .5 to .7 range.

I will certainly look into that barrel birdog, thank you.

thomas

Are the Wilson Combat barrels worth the extra money?
They are ER Shaw made barrels. Can be pretty accurate for a production barrel, as accurate as RRA ,BHW, Rock Creek, Criterion or Lothar. Better than YHM or Stoner or any chrome lined barrel IMO. Probably not as accurate as WOA,definitely not as accurate as Krieger cut rifled.

WOA if you do not shit gold.

Krieger, CLE or Lija if you do shit gold.

Owned just about all of them, Noveske, CLE, Lija, ect and WOA is a 99% product at 30% the price.

Unless you are a master level competitive shooter/reloader, you will never know the difference.

Hey buddy, if you can find one, i am having great success with a 18" chrome lined Rock SPR barrel. I believe Rock made them for Denny's a few years ago.