• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another Bedding ? After the fact

Trapshooter12

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2009
Nevada
I bedded my Rifle per Roscoes process. The problem I am having is I believe it made my groups open up.

I was telling a friend about this and he wants to put it on a dial indicator to see if I might have a stress problem.

The question I have is that if I loosen the action bolts and press on the Tang I can see the end of the barrel rock abit. Is this a poor Bedding job on my part or is this expected. I am shooting a 700P and in my mind with the Heavy Barrel sticking out like that, the weight of the Barrel will cause it to rock some.

The problem I am chasing. I zero at 200 yards and before I bedded I could shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups. Since I have bedded the goups have opened up to about 2" and up to about 4" now.

Any Help will be appreciated.

Re: Another Bedding ? After the fact

You can't tell anything by doing what you are doing.

Tighten the screw back down. Flip the rifle over on its back. Find some what to keep the entire rifle steady. Put a dial indicator on the tip of the forend. Now loosen the front screw. If the forend moves against the dial indicator there could be stress.

Some say there should be no movement and this is bad for accuracy, but there are other factors that can cause the movement not just poor bedding.

Clamp the dial indicator to the barrel and indicate the forearm tip bottom.Tighten and loosen the action screws. Ideally should get less than .002 movement. JMHO

I've bedded quite a few rifles. Quite a few means in excess of 500 over 12 years.

Indicators and tests are great and have their place. I use them as well during "post op" inspection. I also think about the process. I've not read Rosco's procedure as I use my own methods and stick to the process religiously. That being said here's what I suggest.

If at any moment you used a clamp to hold the action into the stock while the bedding was curing you could have induced stress on the action. If the barrel was not supported adequately as the epoxy cured you also may have put tension on the receiver.

Other things to look for. Ensure the guard screws contact the the rifle in two places and two places only. The head of the screw and the threads. The screw's shank should not be in contact with anything.

Make sure the recoil lug isn't bound up in the bedding. If it wasn't clearanced properly it may be shaving epoxy off the sides/back/front every time you install the barreled action.

Make sure the trigger isn't contacting the stock anywhere.

If the rifle is a repeater ensure the magazine box isn't bound up. It should have plenty of wiggle room up and down. It also should not contact the stock on the sides.

Last, ensure your floor metal registers with the stock well. Meaning that its not rocking as this too will cause deflection of the stock and result in a poor marriage between action/stock.

Any of these symptoms will/can result in an indicator needle going bezerk when inspecting afterward. It's important to know why it moves as much as it is how much it moves.

BTW. Here's what mine look like. Judge for yourself.

DSC_00212.jpg

DSC_00362.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

A couple samples of finished stuff:

DSC_00412.jpg

DSC_0018-6.jpg

Good luck.

Chad