• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another broken optic....Minox ZP5 5-25

OH58DViper

Resumé- have Apache, lacks conscience, will travel
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I have the worst luck when it comes to optics. I was out playing with my 338 Rum tossing 285 eldms at 2810 and after a shot the optic went completely fuzzy. No matter what you do I can’t get it to focus. I’ve never had this problem before, anyone experience this? I’m not crapping on Minox, it’s one of my favorite optics and once I figure out who to contact I’ll get it fixed and most likely keep it. The glass is like looking into the future....

I know of 2 folks who own them, and both have had to send them back. Both required very long return times. Along with the mediocre (at best) turrets on one of the two I tried, the warranty issue is one of the main reasons I'd probably never buy a Minox.

Im in Aus, but from what I read isn't Blaser USA handling Minox warranty now? Consequently quicker repairs?

Im in Aus, but from what I read isn't Blaser USA handling Minox warranty now? Consequently quicker repairs?

They've been handling the warranty work for about a year now, maybe longer but I don't recall them doing repairs in TX. I have to reach out to them and see about sending back a new Zp5 so I'll ask.

I do know they've worked on shorting the warranty turn around time though. I think recently they're quoting 4-6 weeks which is a hell of a lot better than what they were doing in the past.

Had to send a TT 315P back for warranty. Sent over 5 Leupolds back. All Mk6, Mk8 and then this year a Mk5. Kahles skmr3 went back to Austria that took 3 months. Steiner M5xi went back. Sent a NF back. Etc etc..

Stuff happens. So I'm sure this will turn into a Minox bash thread... But hey, that usually means more will pop up on the exchange and drive the second hand prices down. So before we get any further, send those crappy ZP5s to me and I'll dispose of them properly. ;)

But all seriousness, that stinks the OP had an issue. No doubt it will be handled. The folks I have dealt with at BlaserUSA have been exceptional. Send me a PM and I'll get you a contact I have delt with over there.

I’ve also had to send back a TT525P, a NF F1, vortex amg, Schmidt Bender 5-20, Premier tactical, etc. they will all break at some point. Yea it does suck, and I’m not a fan of long turn around times so that’s why lately with my scopes I’ve tried to stay with US based companies, S&B, or TT/Premier, so the down time isn’t long.
At least you’re using your gear and there’s nothing better than that.

I’ve also had to send back a TT525P, a NF F1, vortex amg, Schmidt Bender 5-20, Premier tactical, etc. they will all break at some point. Yea it does suck, and I’m not a fan of long turn around times so that’s why lately with my scopes I’ve tried to stay with US based companies, S&B, or TT/Premier, so the down time isn’t long.

+1

When I hear guys say they’ve never had an optic go down or I see no scratches or blemishes on their rifle and/or optic, I know they aren’t shooting enough.

This isn’t my first rodeo with broken optics, just my first time with this brand. I’ve sent back S&B, NF, Leupold, Vortex, Kahles, etc.... it’s the price of having fun, I’m just glad it happened while I was gathering DOPE and not while I was at an outfitter conforming zero after travel.

I have a couple extra optics just sitting around so I can replace it quickly. The problem is I’m at my parents place for the holidays and my gear is at home. I have access to a 1 mile range in my back yard here, but I will not have time to shoot between now and December 5th when I report to my Kansas outfitter. It’s not a monumental problem as I have a healthy stable, I just really wanted to destroy something beautiful with this new rig.

Thanks for all the replies and I’ll be sending jwknutson a pm for that contact info.

I was hoping this would turn into a fan boy thread defending Minox..... but like others have said, I’ve had all the big boy scopes go down. It sucks when you’re using them working on load developement.

Let us know what they find out what the problem is. I’ve never experienced this issue with a scope.

Sounds like an erector lens came loose. If you turn the magnification all the way down does it clear up?

Sounds like an erector lens came loose. If you turn the magnification all the way down does it clear up?

Yup! At 5x it’s clear as can be, if you crank it up at all nothing can be done to get rid of the heavy fuzz.

Even high end optics aren't impervious good thing they're only about a weeks pay to replace.
Am I reading that correctly? "A weeks pay to replace"? My Kahles cost me about $3,000 US. I work about 48 weeks per year,, so at that weekly income I would have an annual income of $144,000 , oopso_O, that is em bare assing! Should pay more attention when multitasking (watching football and reading stuff here. Still a fair chunk of change.

Mea culpa

Last edited:
Reactions: Anderson_A
Am I reading that correctly? "A weeks pay to replace"? My Kahles cost me about $3,000 US. I work about 48 weeks per year,, so at that weekly income I would have an annual income of $576,000, NICE, I'll take it. Needless to say, gotta get me a MUCH better paying profession:geek:

Not to get too far off subject but you may want to check your math....?

Reactions: davere
Am I reading that correctly? "A weeks pay to replace"? My Kahles cost me about $3,000 US. I work about 48 weeks per year,, so at that weekly income I would have an annual income of $576,000, NICE, I'll take it. Needless to say, gotta get me a MUCH better paying profession:geek:

Don’t get a new job.. go back to math class :)

Edited to add typing as above and posted about the same time. I was not piling on.

*laughs in DoD contracting *

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
Had to send a TT 315P back for warranty. Sent over 5 Leupolds back. All Mk6, Mk8 and then this year a Mk5. Kahles skmr3 went back to Austria that took 3 months. Steiner M5xi went back. Sent a NF back. Etc etc..

Stuff happens. So I'm sure this will turn into a Minox bash thread... But hey, that usually means more will pop up on the exchange and drive the second hand prices down. So before we get any further, send those crappy ZP5s to me and I'll dispose of them properly. ;)

But all seriousness, that stinks the OP had an issue. No doubt it will be handled. The folks I have dealt with at BlaserUSA have been exceptional. Send me a PM and I'll get you a contact I have delt with over there.
WTH are you doing to break all those scopes

This isn’t my first rodeo with broken optics, just my first time with this brand. I’ve sent back S&B, NF, Leupold, Vortex, Kahles, etc.... it’s the price of having fun, I’m just glad it happened while I was gathering DOPE and not while I was at an outfitter conforming zero after travel.

I have a couple extra optics just sitting around so I can replace it quickly. The problem is I’m at my parents place for the holidays and my gear is at home. I have access to a 1 mile range in my back yard here, but I will not have time to shoot between now and December 5th when I report to my Kansas outfitter. It’s not a monumental problem as I have a healthy stable, I just really wanted to destroy something beautiful with this new rig.

Thanks for all the replies and I’ll be sending jwknutson a pm for that contact info.

2x broke erectors. 1 rubber plug installed in the wrong hole for turret removal, followed by a failed click pin upon return. 1 would not track. 1 with a heavily canted reticle. 1 with debris floating in the tube. 1 the reticle would jump up and right 2 tenths when going from 24-25x with an audible click. These are just the ones I remember....all deficiencies were confirmed by the manufacturer. All installed using a calibrated torque wrench to spec. So I guess the answer is I’m buying from companies that generally make great products but no one is immune from a bad one from time to time. Additionally, at one point I was changing optics almost as much as my wife does her shoes(over 200 pair of shoes btw) so I got my hands on more than the average recreational shooter and actually tall target tested and used them. My $.02

• Wow
Reactions: deersniper