• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another build thread.

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    What the hell. Some of you guys seem to get a kick out of seeing this stuff and I like doing it as it puts a little peer pressure on me to keep things nice n tidy.

This one's a 7mm Remington Magnum on a Defiance Machine action. Mark Chanlynn custom barrel, McMillan Hunter's Edge carbon stock, Sunny Hill SS floor metal, and a jewel trigger.

DSC_0001.jpg

Good parts makes my job easier!

Off we go. Enjoy.

Parts!

We'll start with the barrel fittin. Indicate, thread, and the chamber. Some photos include setting up the reamer finish depth. This is where I indicate the barrel at. My thoughts are the part that really matters is where the bullet actually begins to do something in the barrel. The rest is along for the ride. So, that being said I devised a tool that allows me to accurately determine where the bullet is going to be and that's where I indicate from. Seems to be werkinz so far.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Barrel's done and now onto the stock stuff. This begins with a little measuring on the action. Apparently the gods aren't in the mood to play nice today. Here's my $7000 Brown and Sharp Digital height stand being gutted by me so that I can sort out why I keep getting this goofy error message. I think the "eyeball" that reads position has crud on it.

Nothing like blazing forward while having no idea what your doing! Woo Hoo! Hope it works.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Re: Another build thread.

Great looking work, Chad. You have awesome skills.

Any chance that my 40X 22RF project will make our Nov 15 deadline?
    wink.gif

Kind Regards,

Bill

This will be interesting...I need a build just like that in a .280 or 7-08.

Your shop is very nice. Thats some SERIOUS equipment in there! Can I move in?
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok so I gotta ask
    whats the plumb bob for? Weight?? </div></div>

Yeps. Just weight to ensure the stylus stays put and repeats.

What I find entertaining about these threads is it helps someone like me who knows only enough to be dangerous the ability to see what it takes to build a nice rifle. It also helps me understand when I am paying big bucks for builds what it actually takes to get that level of precision and what type of skill that is warranted to be able to pull it off.

So, please keep this up as I am learning a lot.

Here's some more pics. If you've seen other threads like this from me then you probably have a good understanding as to how it all works. I'm leaving out the explanations just to save some time.

Enjoy.

C

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_00012.jpg

DSC_00032.jpg

DSC_00022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_00053.jpg

DSC_00083.jpg

DSC_00064.jpg

DSC_00074.jpg

DSC_00084.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JSTARZ, Chad is doing a complete rebuild on my 40X 22LR Trainer.
    I, too, am enjoying see the processes and details.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2186913&#Post2186913</div></div>
    BAT_Boy, thanks for the other thread - that stuff is intoxicating. I am glad there are guys on this site that have those skills and don't mind sharing for the group.

It's a tool I make for lifting an action straight out of the stock after the bedding has cured. Intended to avoid having to rock the action back and forth.

Far less drama and grunt doing it this way.

Updates!

Fixin to barrel this bugger finally. This may seem odd as I started off the same way. We decided to make a change on the barrel length and contour. The #4 chanlynn was just a smidge fat for the Edge stock so we knocked her down to a #3. Mark doesn't flute below a #4 so this is a shiny new BRUX barrel. Looks VERY nice.

Marking the flute so I can time the action properly:
    DSC_0001-1.jpg

Set up in the lathe. There are quite a few different ways that folks go about this. It ranges from between centers with a steady rest to indicating both ends of the barrel, using a range rod, and yada, yada. I have my own little spin on this that I've conjured up. It's a bit different in procedure but were all after the same thing in the end. Seems to work as I've had enough guns out running now that bring smiles to customer faces.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Editing some code for this job: This Defiance action has an 18 pitch thread. (I like them better over the 16 pitch.)

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Now the program is loaded in the machine. As I fart around on here I'm letting my spindle run to warm up a bit. Better accuracy from the machine this way when it's allowed to come to operating temp in the spindle bearings. (she's still pretty new with very low hours so I'm trying to be nice to her)

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Makin chips here in a minute. More to follow

Here's the machine chewin away on this bugger.

Hopefully someone is wondering about the flutes.

Here's how this works. A C-16 collet has splits in it that allow it to expand/contract. I time up my marks with one of these splits when setting the barrel up. There's six flutes on this barrel. 360/6='s a 60 degree index. Since there's 3 equally spaced splits in the collet (120 degree index) I know all I've got to do is catch one of these splits with the receiver. I do this by tightening the action then backing off to the nearest split (if I'm in between two for instance) From here I feeler gauge the gap between the lug/shoulder. I'm using an 18 pitch thread (converts to .0556) So, if I divide .0556/3 I get .01853" of distance per every split in my collet. If I tighten and then back off and find out I was say .006" for a gap I subtract that from the .01853 (.012533") and that is how far I have to go to get the flute timed up where I want it.

Calculators and geometry ROCK!

The "voodoo" is allowing for crush. Luckily I have one thing going for me. The thread fits I can get with this machine rival anything I've ever been able to do or anything I've ever seen by anyone else before. The only one so far that comes even close is Alan Warner. With a thread this nice there's almost no crush. It's nothing to "snap" and it's almost instantaneous. This is a nice thing to have in your corner when dealing with flutes as there are few things in gunmaking more frustrating than having to pull a barrel you "thought" was timed and having to go back and dicker with it. Time is money and that can eat your butt real quick.

Last, you'll notice the breech has a funky chamfer in it. In my programs I have the various diameters established for the more popular line of cartridges. All I'm doing here is maching the chamfer on the chamber before the reamer goes in. This is a 7mm Rem Mag. Once it's all done it'll just be a nice edge break at the breech face.

Ok, onto the "pre bore" before I start cramming my reamer in.

enjoy.

C

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

And were done!

Pictures just don't do these things justice. It's a bit silly to get turned on by a threaded stick, but I do. Almost a shame to screw the thing onto the barrel.

Headspace is at GO+.001". Right where I want it and the flute timed up pretty dern nice too.

I finish up the stock's barrel channel tomorrow morning. Then she's off to paint and coating. Good start on December's build roster!

Nite nite!

C

DSC_0001-3.jpg

DSC_0002-3.jpg

DSC_0003-3.jpg

Nite nite, I'm outa here.

C

very impressive shop Dixon, You dont find a Haas in every gun shop, also work looks spot on......

Few more updates.

Stock work is all done finally. Just a few odds/ends on this bugger before we go to paint/plating. Here's a few pics to show the initial trial assembly. Today's agenda is to fit the guard screws, make the two piece bases, and have it ready to shoot by this afternoon.

Almost there!

DSC_0011-2.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0014-2.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

In bedding, what are you using as filler for the action?
    Also, is there a dvd set that teaches gunsmithing? Dumb question, but when I am on the road with work all the time, it would help to watch dvds on the airplane and in my hotel.

The resin system I use is designed for commercial boiler repair. That's about all I'm willing to say.

As far as movies. Mr. Gordy Gritters has produced a series of films specific to gunsmithing. I've never watched one so I can't comment on them beyond that. David Kiff, owner of Pacific Tool and Gauge sells them I think.

Hope this helps.

C

Dixon,
    I use a product that is designed for plumbing repairs, however I am not at liberty to say what it is
    wink.gif

I love these threads of yours. Do you have many more of the hide I can look at?

Chad,

I'm putting together parts for a build over the next few months. I am really excited to see quality work being done here in the state. I'm going to give you a call when I get everything ordered!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad,

I'm putting together parts for a build over the next few months. I am really excited to see quality work being done here in the state. I'm going to give you a call when I get everything ordered!</div></div>

Without a doubt, you'll be more than happy with the results!

Any update on this project? Like to see how it shoots and how it looks finished. These types of threads are really interesting, and are some definitely good eye candy.

Stock is still at paint. I've got a hoot of ammo to load up and I'm waiting on a box from the cst as well.

Just waiting, waiting, waiting. . .

Still have to send the metal off to plating,but am waiting (yet again!) for the ammo to show up first.

_Just cause your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya'. . .

Thanks for the kind words!

C

Final assembly:

Now just gotta go shoot the bugger. Weather here's been tough the last week. Sorry about the first couple pics being a little fuzzy. I didn't have the camera set up like I normally do.

Thanks fer lookin!

C

Equipment list:

Defiance Rebel action
    Brux 7mm 1-9ROT fluted #3 barrel in SS
    McMillan Hunter's Edge stock
    Jewel HVRTS trigger
    Sunny Hill Enterprises billet SS floor metal
    My bases (1913 two piece style)
    Rings/scope are the shops. It's my "beater NF" for testing.

Weight as it sits is 10lbs on the dot.

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Nice looking rifle, I would have thought it would have finished up lighter than 10 lbs.

Yup, my SPR is a whole different-handling rifle when I pull the NF in favor of the BUIS, that should be a nice handy sporter with hunting glass on it.

Great work as always sir, thanks for the pictorial.

-matt

And were done.

Shot it today. forgot the dern camera. A brisk 23F today with another front moving in. Elevation was around 1/2 and the L/R was well under half.

Funny thing about cold temps, light barrels, and magnum calibers. You spend most your time waiting on mirage to settle between shots when in still air. (the Spearfish range is in a sort of bubble so not much wind gets to you)

Anyways, she's all done. Missed the PO so it'll have to wait till Monday.

Good start to what I hope is a great year.

Thanks fer lookin.

C

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

Wow you have 1 hell of a nice shop and did not realize how much goes on in a first class quality build. Thats some seriously nice stuff your putting out. Do you route and cut out all the stocks you do on builds?

Thanks!

Yes. Every stock in my shop starts out as a blank. I do all my own inletting work. In the event I have to use one inletted, I fill her up and start over.

My bedding process is a bit different than most and requires it.

Here's a few more updates. Getting closer to completion.

Bolt release is done as the bulk of the stockwork. Just a few more odds/ends and she's off to the paint shop!

Thanks fer lookin.

C

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

That's some darned nice work! Why do I have to go through 2 or 3 crappy smiths and then find these kinds of posts from artists? It just isn't fair!
    smile.gif

This is the kind of marvelous beauty that makes me want to get a new visa and max that bugger out. However I will have to wait until I am out of school with my Mech-Eng Degree to have this sort of beauty done for me. I am super jealous, that is all I can say.